Thread: Part and or specs needed for Estey Portable

Part and or specs needed for Estey Portable

I absolutely love playin the Portable Pump Organ that I got on EBay. The only issue that I have is that the bracket which holds up the music stand is missing. This bracket prevents the music stand from falling over.
    I can rig something up to sit behind the stand for now but eventually I would like to replace the bracket. Have anyone got this part available?
    If I have to fabricate the part, some specs and photos of it would be helpful.
    Thanks

1 members found this post helpful.
    As far as I can tell. This part is a "Lid Support Hinge". Hinges that perform the same function are available in various hardware stores but they are not OEM style. Does this matter? I'm using he organ as a functional instrument and not looking at it as an antique but should I try to keep it original?
    Whether I find an OEM style part or replace it with whatever, it looks like I will have to remove the keyboard or the left side of the cabinet in order to access the lower pivot point. I'm not especially handy with this kind of stuff. Best left to experts?

For right now I have made a Styrofoam piece that sits behind the stand and holds it up. That seems to work but its ugly.

Hey John, sorry I don't have better photos, and am not home to get better access to my two Estey portables, but which one do you have because they are both different. Check out these 2 pics of mine, sorry they aren't better and pick which one. Then I can get you better photos and measurements of what is on mine.

29365751232_1c121f5c27_o.jpg26410983524_620de70b9d_o.jpg
    ALLEN ADC 5000 DK
    Rodgers LDS
    Three Manual VPO project
    Viscount Cantorum VI
    Ahlborn SL-61
    3 Reed Organs

That's it. Photo number two. That appears just like my 190's era Estey Folding Organ. I swear I've sen similar brackets but I don't remember where. How would you get at the lower mounting point? Remove the keyboard?

Quote Originally Posted by John S View Post
    That's it. Photo number two. That appears just like my 190's era Estey Folding Organ. I swear I've sen similar brackets but I don't remember where. How would you get at the lower mounting point? Remove the keyboard?
    John,

Unless there is a pocket for the hinge to collapse into, the lower mounting point will need to be attached just above the key cheek. If you can look at Steve's photo a bit larger, you'll notice two dots at the front and rear of the key cheek. One of those dots may be the lower mounting point.

Another option is to check the Reed Organ Society Database for a similar organ whose photo shows where the hinge is actually mounted.

As far as maintaining the OEM character, I personally prefer keeping my organs as original as possible without making alterations. You may be able to find the hinge you're seeking by checking with older hardware stores in your area (not the big boxes). Occasionally, they have older stock in stock.

Hope this helps.

Michael
    Way too many organs to list, but I do have 4 Allens:
    • MOS-2 Model 505-B / ADC-4300-DK / ADC-5400 / ADC-6000 (Symphony)
    • Lowrey Heritage (DSO-1)
    • 9 Pump Organs, 1 Pipe Organ & 4 Pianos

From what I remember, that one slides in a groove on the left key cheek and there is a screw on mine at least beneath the key cheek that the bracket slides over. It is essentially the same thing as this piano bench lid support shown here.

piano-bench-lid-hinge.jpg

Here are two images I swiped from the internet. On the one which is missing the piece you can see the space on the left behind the stop knob that the bracket descends into, and on the other you can see it with the bracket there.

IMG_1717.JPG

Ok so the internet wouldn't let me swipe the other pic. if you can zoom in on this one hopefully that makes it a little clearer.
    ALLEN ADC 5000 DK
    Rodgers LDS
    Three Manual VPO project
    Viscount Cantorum VI
    Ahlborn SL-61
    3 Reed Organs

That look about right. Can you tell me the length of the bracket that you have.

I took the lil' pumper to James Jelinek at Player Piano Emporium in Orland Park, IL. The G below middle C was not sounding with the "solo" stop. He managed to get some debris out of the reed and now I have full sound. He didn't have a bracket but he showed me how to get at the pivot point so that I can install one when I get it.

He's a good guy and I'll keep his contact information handy.

Quote Originally Posted by steverose View Post
    From what I remember, that one slides in a groove on the left key cheek and there is a screw on mine at least beneath the key cheek that the bracket slides over. It is essentially the same thing as this piano bench lid support shown here.

piano-bench-lid-hinge.jpg
    I have something similar taken off an old Gulbransen electronic but it does not have the catch niche in the groove end. (The stop catch). You can have it but perhaps shipping costs might be prohibitive especially as it is not exactly the tight part...

Nico
    "Don't make war, make music!" Hammonds, Lowreys, Yamaha's, Gulbransens, Baldwin, Technics, Johannus. Reed organs. Details on request...

Quote Originally Posted by Organfella View Post
    I have something similar taken off an old Gulbransen electronic but it does not have the catch niche in the groove end. (The stop catch). You can have it but perhaps shipping costs might be prohibitive especially as it is not exactly the tight part...

Nico

Thanks for the offer. Similar pats are available here for $5-10. I'm still trying to ascertain the correct length. For now I'm putting a harmonica neck rack behind the stand to prop it up.