Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Too manny bad recordings (I think)

Quote Originally Posted by quantum View Post
    It is easy to forget that music making is a lifelong endeavor when listening to those "great" artists. There are those few whom whatever music they touch instantly turns to gold. However, for most of us musicians we have to work, work, work. It is not that we can not achieve a comparable level of music as those "great" artists, it is just that we have to put a lot more time and work into it before we get there. I think the process of recording and sharing our progress is an important one as it helps us make our music better. When I was in university my teacher would set up these regular sessions in the concert hall where the entire class would play for each other: no matter the stage of the piece, no matter how "ready" you were to present your work, everyone did play. Sometimes performances fell over, but that was part of it, part of the work of being a better musician. Everyone benefited when it came time for juries and recitals, as those many sessions presenting our work for one another ultimately made us all better prepared to make our music.

As for Youtube, IMO people sharing organ recordings is much preferable to nobody sharing recordings of the organ. If I don't like something it only takes a few clicks to navigate away, nothing to get worked up about.

Good Point.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Madison View Post
    Ok bear with me i have to get this off my chest!

As a listener of fine pipe organ music (Still love to build and research too) I have come to the thought that their are lots of "Oh look at me pound out Windsor toccata" on a pipe organ on Youtube in which i am forced to contend in finding a great artist while wading through the "Look at me" mass amount of videos. if anyone on this forum that posts videos and a great artist, your fine i have no problem with you, but for the rest that crank out videos for the sake of likes and popularity its a waste of my time.
    That's a pity; I was just about to post a short video of an amateur (me) playing the Conn 580 for your amusement and derision. Oh well, it can wait; I shall continue to enjoy this fabulous old machinery in private.

Quote Originally Posted by Freddy, UK View Post
    That's a pity; I was just about to post a short video of an amateur (me) playing the Conn 580 for your amusement and derision. Oh well, it can wait; I shall continue to enjoy this fabulous old machinery in private.
    The rest of us DO want to see it!
    The Survivors:
    Technics GA3 (free), Technics F-100 ($250), Hammond XH-273 (free)

Awaiting My Attention to get Paired Up:
    60' Hammond A-100 (free!) Church duty, certainly not "minty"
    Leslie 710 ($80)

Moved On:
    '58(?) Hammond M3 (free), Technics G7 ($35), '65 Hammond E-112 ($250),
    '58 Hammond S6 ($60), 80' Yamaha 415I (free)

Failed Rescue Attempts, Brief Encounters:
    '81 Hammond Elegante, Hammond XTP, Gulbransen President

Quote Originally Posted by jbird604 View Post
    ...the guy's mother probably loved it!
    Best quip of this entire thread ! Too bad there's not a "Did you find this post helpful" option on this one. Making me chuckle IS helpful !
    Cheers !
    Roger Memphis

PS: Maybe someday I'll post some of my playing on Youtube... not 'cause I'm any good, but just listenable and VERY unusual style that makes even "real" organists watch to see what's going on there.
    C-3 with O-M, 145, 122RV, 2 PR-40's, PSR-36
    CV with HR-40, 2 B-40's

Quote Originally Posted by eblues View Post
    The rest of us DO want to see it!
    Just to be perverse, eblues, it is posted, link below. I have to emphasise that I do not claim to be a musician and have never had any musical training or lessons. As a 76 year old, it ain't important now! And my granddad loves it.

https://youtu.be/oz7uP88hGlU

Hey Freddy,
    I literally just listened to your YouTube upload a few minutes ago and it isn't half bad! In fact, I think its quite good. Not that I know anything about theater organ playing. I wish I did. I have a deep suspicion that becoming acquainted with theater organ technique makes any classical organist better. Look at Cameron Carpenter.

Quote Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
    Hey Freddy,
    I literally just listened to your YouTube upload a few minutes ago and it isn't half bad! In fact, I think its quite good. Not that I know anything about theater organ playing. I wish I did. I have a deep suspicion that becoming acquainted with theater organ technique makes any classical organist better. Look at Cameron Carpenter.

Your comments appreciated. I looked at Cameron Carpenter and can only envy the skill and technique. Oh well, back to the practice session.

Great fun, Freddy! Your granddad is a wise man.
    John
    ----------
    Church: Allen MDS-45 with Allen MIDI-DIVISION-II expander
    Home: Rodgers 580 "Cheetah" organ with custom 6-channel speaker system
    Shop: Bunch of organs in varying conditions, some good, some not...
    Half of an incredible two-man organ service team -- servicing all the major digitals in Arkansas churches
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Birds...97551893588434

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12