Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I'm new here.

Quote Originally Posted by myorgan View Post
    John,

You need a dog!

Thank you for the photo! From looking closely at the organ, it looks like the top may be genuinely designed to be like it is. If there is evidence of screw holes on the top of the side pieces (front), or in the top of the back of the organ, it may have had a top. However, it looks like both end pieces are beveled completely around the pieces, and it is uncommon for a bevel to circumvent the end piece where a top would cover it--too much router work just to cover it up or to have to match it on the top. Obviously, I couldn't see the back of the end pieces, but if it is flat rather than beveled, the piece could have had a top. Bad news, though, is that Silver Chimes organs aren't as common as, let's say, Estey.

Good news--the keys look level, and the stop faces look to be in good condition. It may have been refinished at one point, but it does look like they did a good job. When we re-did the cloth behind the grill work on my maternal grandmother's organ, we used broadcloth, but I'm not sure if others recommend grille cloth instead (acoustically transparent). Casey (SubBase) would be the authority on that subject.

Again, thanks for sharing your organ.

Michael

So, you noticed that all of the jig saw puzzles have cats in them? Yes, we have a cat but no dog. Our neighbors have a puppy. We were laughing at them walking him in the pouring rain last night.

IMG_0061.jpg

Hi John,

It is always great to see a long time reed organ caregiver! I believe your organ is from the late 1890s, and it was actually made by the Chicago Cottage Organ Co. Silver Chimes is a stencil that the reseller/distributor would have placed on it. I have not seen them very often, but the ones I have played are solidly made reed organs with a good sound, and they will be around for a very long time. I have attached a couple of pictures from the ROS database of similar models from Chicago COC.

All the best,

Rodney
    ROS-3568.JPGROS-3569.JPG
    To play a reed organ or harmonium, it helps to disconnect your feet from your brain and connect them to your emotions.
    Most of all, be creative, make music and have fun...

That's what it looks like!

The Estey Field Organ that I bought on EBay showed up today. The guy had 30 lbs of packing material but it arrived safe and sound. The left knee paddle doesn't seem to have much effect. Rather than stops it has two sliders, one on each end, which affect the sound. It unfolds into playing position in less than a minute.
    It weighs 60lbs but it does have a built in handle. The outside of the case has a lot of scratches so I don't think it will hurt it if I use a dolly to maneuver it around.
    It's going to a folk music sing around tonight. Everyone else has guitars, ukuleles and autoharps.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12