Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm new here.

I'm new here.

I'm new to this forum. I bought an antique parlor organ in 1972 from a fellow that restored them. I believe his last name was Mossfelder and he lived in a suburb of Milwaukee, Wis.

I still have the organ , it is a Silver Chimes and has 10 stops (including high and low couplers). I paid $200 for it then and it is probably still worth that. If I had bought an electronic organ for $200 at that time, it would probably be in a land fill.

I had this one serviced once a few years ago by a fellow in Chicago (that's where I live now) and now all the keys work again. I haven't played it much myself as I was more into guitar and ukulele. A skin condition has stopped me from playing fretted instruments so now I'm back to key boards.

I just bought an Estey Camp Organ on EBay and am waiting its arrival. I'm hoping that once it is serviced that I'll be able to schlub it around to Summer folk festivals.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

John,

Welcome to the Forum. You started collecting instruments before I did! I nearly bought an Estey child's folding organ a few decades ago for only $10, but I didn't have a car to put it in. I hope yours arrives in good condition and works fine.

Again, welcome to the Forum. I hope you enjoy your time here. Have you considered posting photos of your organs?

Michael
    Way too many organs to list, but I do have 4 Allens:
    • MOS-2 Model 505-B / ADC-4300-DK / ADC-5400 / ADC-6000 (Symphony)
    • Lowrey Heritage (DSO-1)
    • 9 Pump Organs, 1 Pipe Organ & 4 Pianos

Quote Originally Posted by myorgan View Post
    John,

Welcome to the Forum. You started collecting instruments before I did! I nearly bought an Estey child's folding organ a few decades ago for only $10, but I didn't have a car to put it in. I hope yours arrives in good condition and works fine.

Again, welcome to the Forum. I hope you enjoy your time here. Have you considered posting photos of your organs?

Michael
    Thanks for the welcome. I can't post photos here yet. When I get permission, I may post one or two.

Quote Originally Posted by John S View Post
    Thanks for the welcome. I can't post photos here yet. When I get permission, I may post one or two.
    John,

If you click on Go Advanced after you click on Reply, it should take you to a window that has more editing options. In that case, you can click below the entry window, and there is a section called Manage Attachments. Try posting there. For your first few posts, your posts are all moderated (as well as attachments), but one of us can approve both the post and attachments after they've been checked. It's to protect against spammers, etc. With the topic of pump organ, there's no telling what some spammers might post.

I can't wait to see what you have.

Michael

Hi John and welcome to the mob.

Looking forward to seeing some pictures of your baby.

Take care

Nico
    "Don't make war, make music!" Hammonds, Lowreys, Yamaha's, Gulbransens, Baldwin, Technics, Johannus. Reed organs. Details on request...

Quote Originally Posted by myorgan View Post
    John,

If you click on Go Advanced after you click on Reply, it should take you to a window that has more editing options. In that case, you can click below the entry window, and there is a section called Manage Attachments. Try posting there. For your first few posts, your posts are all moderated (as well as attachments), but one of us can approve both the post and attachments after they've been checked. It's to protect against spammers, etc. With the topic of pump organ, there's no telling what some spammers might post.

I can't wait to see what you have.

Michael

I understand about the "pump organ" jokes. I outgrew Beevis and Butthead a long time ago but know that that type is still out there. The fellow I'm buying the Estey Field Organ from swears that he will be shipping it today. Once that arrives, I'll be post some photos.

The thing about the portable field organ is that it is from the 1950's and I believe it will be tuned A=440.

Quote Originally Posted by John S View Post
    The thing about the portable field organ is that it is from the 1950's and I believe it will be tuned A=440.
    John,

Interesting tidbit. Thank you for sharing it.

Michael

The serial number on this Field organ is 519672.That pegs it at being built after 1951 http://www.esteyorganmuseum.org/reso...d-enthusiasts/

I have read somewhere that Estey used A=440 as standard pitch after 1925.

The seller now swears that he will ship it on Monday.

IMG_0063.jpg

Here is a snap shot of the Silver Chimes organ. I believe that it had a high back at one time. I don't think of this as an antique, I think of it as the instrument near the pool table. I don't know the age of it. The guy I bought it from said that he had replaced or repaired the bellows.

John,

You need a dog!

Thank you for the photo! From looking closely at the organ, it looks like the top may be genuinely designed to be like it is. If there is evidence of screw holes on the top of the side pieces (front), or in the top of the back of the organ, it may have had a top. However, it looks like both end pieces are beveled completely around the pieces, and it is uncommon for a bevel to circumvent the end piece where a top would cover it--too much router work just to cover it up or to have to match it on the top. Obviously, I couldn't see the back of the end pieces, but if it is flat rather than beveled, the piece could have had a top. Bad news, though, is that Silver Chimes organs aren't as common as, let's say, Estey.

Good news--the keys look level, and the stop faces look to be in good condition. It may have been refinished at one point, but it does look like they did a good job. When we re-did the cloth behind the grill work on my maternal grandmother's organ, we used broadcloth, but I'm not sure if others recommend grille cloth instead (acoustically transparent). Casey (SubBase) would be the authority on that subject.

Again, thanks for sharing your organ.

Michael

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast