Thread: Andrew's email address won't work ?

Andrew's email address won't work ?

So.... Hello Andrew, Derek Miles AT900C upgraded.

I noted that a dealer near Cambridge had an At900 Artist Edition for sale. I could be interested but I've been looking in the UK for the top model you have.
    I'm hoping that you can advise me of any difference between top end AT's. Yours verses the Artist thingy .

My kindest regards Derek Miles.

Surely that's better asked here, rather than via email, so we can all benefit from the answer?

email address is working OK - had loads of them earlier this morning.

To answer the question, there is a huge difference between the 900 and 900 Artist models compared to the Platinum. The Artist upgrade was, I think, aimed at those people who needed more in the way of factory set sound set-ups. It gave lots more of these but didn't add anything in the way of voicing, features, styles etc.

The Platinum added in more voices in several sections, but most prominently in the SuperNatural section - they 'd changed the name from 'Articulation', and I wouldn't mind betting that Yamaha had complained as their equivalent voicing is Super Articulation! Instead of just 4 Articulation sounds in the solo section, you had 30 sounds, and they were available in different divisions on the organ and you could have more than one at a time.

There were new styles added too - but read through the many Roland threads about setting the organ to 'Dom' to access all the styles that the organ actually has on board.

And there are a few new features too, like the ones that let you use satellite speakers for reverb, 'surround sound' and so on.

All in all, a very worthwhile upgrade from the original AT900.
    It's not what you play. It's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

New website now live - www.andrew-gilbert.com

Current organ: Roland Atelier AT900 Platinum Edition
    Retired Organs: Lots! Kawai SR6 x 2, Hammond T402, T500 x 2, X5. Conn Martinique and 652. Gulbransen 2102 Pacemaker. Kimball something-or-other.
    Retired Leslies, 147, 145, 760 x 2, 710, 415 x 2.

Thank you both Seamaster and Andy, certainly I won't use the email and I do agree...best here.
    I bought a few of the early AT's and eventually got the AT800 when it was announced. As soon as the upgrade appeared, I bought one and was thrilled. I then got myself the AT900C and felt that I wanted the ATUP-EX on this one too. Very pleased indeed but since I've been unable to locate a UK Platinum, I've attached my stage gear since now I'm past living it up gigging etc. One observation that I have with the upgrade is that it still gives me a lousy Solo N Violin vibrato and I note that the violin demonstrated in the demo set named (I think) Art.Violin is such a beautiful example. (Hector I think).

Perhaps Andy could put me right on this violin but hasten to add that I could incorporate my Fantom XR for a decent and authentic violin and vibrato.

Thank you all for being there and best regards Derek Miles.

They've never had a solo violin that's appealed to me. AEX Violin seems to have some phasing in the sample and the Art.Violin and N.Violins, while better to my ears, still don't cut it. Roland do have a superb violin in their library of sounds that they share around their instruments, but it never made it into any of their organs. It's in the Roland Jupiter (along with some other excellent solo sounds that would have fitted nicely into the Ateliers) and I would not be at all surprised if it isn't the same one in the Fantom XR.

Easiesy way to get this done would be to hook the two instruments together via MIDI, split the lower and use the upper part to play the Fantom Violin, you'd have to match the MIDI channels and octave but that's simple enough.
    It's not what you play. It's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

New website now live - www.andrew-gilbert.com

Current organ: Roland Atelier AT900 Platinum Edition
    Retired Organs: Lots! Kawai SR6 x 2, Hammond T402, T500 x 2, X5. Conn Martinique and 652. Gulbransen 2102 Pacemaker. Kimball something-or-other.
    Retired Leslies, 147, 145, 760 x 2, 710, 415 x 2.

Thank you Andy for the advice. Since I have all the Fantom gear plus midi boxes etc., it's no problem to sort the setup. I originally bought the Fantom along with the TOIAB software as a suck and see basis. I found that PC programming was a bit daunting with the editor software but I stuck at it and had reasonable success. There appears to be a lot of violin samples but what a pity the business of second pressure was dropped by the wayside by so many manufacturers!

Going back quite a few years, I can remember having two or three stacked workstations with perhaps one or two having second pressure. I also remember having one keyboard whereby I could roll the key side to side for a bit of bend ? It was all a long time ago !

Again my thanks Andy and kind regards Derek Miles.

[QUOTE=andyg;449036]They've never had a solo violin that's appealed to me.QUOTE]

I SO agree with this, Andy. I've heard a few "Strings" (Plural) that sound pretty decent, but as far as I know, no one has nailed solo violin...
    even with good sampling.
    Roger Memphis
    C-3 with O-M, 145, 122RV, 2 PR-40's, PSR-36
    CV with HR-40, 2 B-40's