Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Sight-reading at the Organ (Not the Piano)

I.m relatively new to keyboard instruments but have played guitar and mandolin for years
    I have self taught using the Bastien books ,I also have the Kenneth Baker books but found Bastien method easier for me,hardest part was learning to read music fluently.
    Getting better with practice.

I'm a classical musician, but I was a memorizer. I could read music just fine, but I could only read one note at a time, very slowly, counting to get the rhythm right. It wasn't until a few years ago that I learned to take in enough information to read ahead of where I was playing. So, while I could learn and play difficult music, I couldn't just play through any song.
    It's pretty easy to see the difference between reading and sight reading in a Bible study group or similar situation where people have to read out loud. Plenty of people can read just fine, but having to read and remember a few words ahead of where a person is speaking takes some extra practice. A lot of people learn both together but not everyone.
    Sam

Yamaha P22 (not enough pedals)
    and an Allen ADC-4500 ... for now.

1 members found this post helpful.
    Years ago I had to take an exam where I had 5 minutes to prepare to perform a piece of reasonable difficultly. I was fairly decent at sight reading but I wanted to make sure I'd do a good job. So for a month prior I used Bach's Well Tempered Clavier and chose the ones I didn't know. I did my best to prepare a good performance in 5 minutes with about 3-4 pieces per day. I would sometimes reuse ones I hadn't played for a week or two.

That was extremely tedious but my sight reading improved quite a bit. I'm not necessarily suggesting someone use the Well Tempered Clavier, but rather pick something somewhat beyond your ability to perform with 5 minutes preparation, and then prepare to perform it. I don't mean prepare to play it, but really give a musical performance of it as convincing as possible. It's really tedious but perhaps it might help someone

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234