Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Moving on into the Virtual world

1 members found this post helpful.
    Thought I'd given up did ya? Wrong!

I almost gave up on that Technics bit - mostly because of the enormous amount of cables, side tables and rigging I need to get everything together in one place to start connecting. But also because one kind of requires a university degree to figure out just how to do all the programming....

Then I ran across this little thing:

IMG_20170906_081621.jpgIMG_20170906_082600.jpg

Its a deadboard with no internal sound producing setup. The connection to the PC is "plug and Play" - more my kind of thing until something goes wrong...

Anyhow this one worked right off and when I connected it via the USB port to the PC it worked wonderfully with Hauptwerk! The small size makes it much easier to cart around and setting up takes only a minute. Nifty for a little 49-key toy and it makes pipe organ sounds (with the extensive help of Hauptwerk of course) providing some opportunity to experiment more.

Don't laugh - I'm a-havin' fun!

Nico
    "Don't make war, make music!" Hammonds, Lowreys, Yamaha's, Gulbransens, Baldwin, Technics, Johannus. Reed organs. Details on request...

That's good to know you are making progress. I'll be watching you ...

I picked up a working CASIO CT460 for $10CDN at a used items type store. It too has 49 keys and it has a MIDI IN and a MIDI OUT. I bought it for our church Young People as they were asking for a donated keyboard for the coming season. Maybe I can encourage some of them to be interested in organ playing as we currently don't have a church organist.

I may use this thread to see how VPO might be done. I'd probably start with as much free stuff as possible and have an old XP mini-tower computer for free. I have the electronic skills but no instrument playing skill. But I did acquired a bass guitar and bought a Peavey MAX112 to practise with, so I may start with that - if I ever find time to practise.

Great!

I connected my cheapies to the JVC 400Watt amp and it sounds great. OK, the simple system has many limitations but who cares? For starters I will need to get better speakers to produce some more umfff... The ones I plundered off a tired old hi-fi set and while they work OK, there is not enough volume, at least not what one would expect from a 400Watt amp. The simple USB connection between keyboard and pc has very little latency - just enough to hold the sound so that one hardly notices the changing chords - I like that. To my inexperienced ear there is not enough treble volume so the melody line is kind of drowned by the bass chords so I shall connect a couple of the myriad of little tweeters I have lying around unemployed. One irritating feature of the amp is that I can only connect two outlet speakers at a time. The amp features two left and right banks of connections, one for 8Ohms and the other for 4-16Ohms. When two sets are connected to either, the other would not work. My idea is to combine the individual speaker wires together so that I have only one connection (left and right) to the amp leading to two or more test speakers. (Yes I know they should have the same Ohm values...)

And yes, I'm still having fun....

Here is the pic of my setup. The speaker boxes are underneath the trolley on which everything sits. The Laptop is a dedicated system with Windows 7 Professional, 8Gb RAM and a 128Gb SSD. In the picture the keyboard is sitting on my lap.

IMG_20170911_183121[1].jpg

Next step is to look for a suitable 61-key keyboard, some pedals and a discarded organ case.....

Nico
    "Don't make war, make music!" Hammonds, Lowreys, Yamaha's, Gulbransens, Baldwin, Technics, Johannus. Reed organs. Details on request...

Good evening folks. New to the forum, from England. I've just started setting up a VPO system for myself at home. We live in a miniscule mid-terrace house, so space is very cramped in the living room. I have been using a Technics GA1 for about 2 years now, as I learn to play the pipe organ at church (I don't have easy access to the organ at church, so a 'proper' set up at home is becoming quite desirable). I will be taking my first organ exam this year October/November (ABRSM Grade III) and am a little jittery about it. I digress, so back to the organ system ... I am in the process of having an old mono Wyvern 2 manual beast midified for me (really just using the manuals, and other bits & pieces). It will be stripped to the bare bones for ease of 'haulage' and prepare it to be 'built on'. I want to have my computer, screens, speakers, interface, etc. built into a cabinet on/around the 3 manuals, which I eventually will have. I will then paint up the cabinet, which my husband is going to build , with medieval designs and I'll also try to source a few small pipes to use in a little central fašade above my head to make it look 'proper'

Will be looking into downloading ASIO4ALL because I am struggling with latency of about 49 from Hauptwerk (freebie version) to my currently being used Technics GA1. Hope that helps a bit.

The other thing I want to investigate is using UBUNTU instead of Windows - anyone got any comments on that please?
    "Bats in the belfry!"

Hi Kathleen and welcome to the mob!

You have ambition - and that's a good thing. What you want seems pretty much possible and with a handy husband around one can achieve wonders!

When I first started with this VPO idea I felt quite lost especially with the tons of information available on this Forum as well as all over the internet. I set about reading and researching and discarding and reading and researching some more. The result is that I still don't know much! So I decided to just experiment and see what happens. The only lesson (if one could call it that) I learned is not to spend too much money on components, at least not at first because there are lots of bits and stuff lying around that one can use. Do invest in a good midi interface and a good computer with lots of RAM for Hauptwerk.

I have used Ubuntu on one of my computers and it appears to be a good operating system with many built-in features and sub-programs like a word processor but I am unsure of whether it will mix with the VPO software, if at all... You might do well to stay with Windows, at least initially to be able to get your system to work for you. With a good computer system you have half the battle won.

Good luck and please do keep us posted on your progress. Nuts like myself are always somewhere on the learning curve and enjoy the experience. And oh yes, best of luck with your exams!

Nico

Hi Kathleen,

Hauptwerk won't work with Ubunutu.

For my VPO I use Linux Mint operating system. The VPO software I use is GrandOrgue. It is open source software and free of charge. There are many nice free sample sets available for it. GrandOrgue works very well in Linux. There are also Windows and Apple versions available.

I have taken some free Hauptwerk demo sample sets and created an ODF for GrandOrgue, and the sound is magnificent.

If you are interested to learn more, search for GrandOrgue on Sourceforge.

Tom

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123