Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Moving on into the Virtual world

2 members found this post helpful.
    Nico -

If I understand correctly, you're trying to connect your laptop's VPO output to your existing amplifier & speakers. If so, the challenge most likely is on the laptop side of the equation.

Sure, the laptop's headphone out stereo jack (1/8") is a quick fix, but for better sound quality you probably need to step up things at the laptop.

Rather than an internal sound card inside your ("aging") laptop, I'd recommend an external USB audio interface, because this will have most of the higher end sound resolution you'll ever want, plus in many cases, also provides a MIDI input to connect to your laptop which will have even lower latency than ASIO4ALL.

It'll also be portable to any future laptop/desktop configurations you may evolve towards over time.

Here are a few inexpensive options (under US$100):

Presonus USB Audibox
    Behringer U-Phoria UMC204HD

These interfaces connect to your laptop via USB cable with high audio resolution and convenient audio outputs to reach your external speaker/amp.

Specifically, look at stock pictures of the output side of (either of) these audio boxes - it will become evident how you can easily connect the output produced by your laptop (Hauptwerk, whatever) to the speaker systems you already have on hand.

Hope some of this helps you wade through the VPO morass. Enjoy! - OneWatt

Thanks OneWatt. Just the kind of information I needed.

And for this you are now promoted to TwoWatts!!

Nico
    "Don't make war, make music!" Hammonds, Lowreys, Yamaha's, Gulbransens, Baldwin, Technics, Johannus. Reed organs. Details on request...

OK, Using a simple 3,5mm to RCA stereo cable from the headset output of the laptop and connected to the 2.1 input on the amp I got some awsome sounds from the amp. I tried all three (Miditzer Style 216, Hauptwerk free and GrandOrgue) and they all work. I found GrandOrgue working the best for ease of operation and choice. I will likely stay with GrandOrgue for the moment. I have not yet connected the setup to the Organ but simply played some midi files from the laptop. The sound is very pleasing. I got what to me sounds like a 32" bass thundering through the amp and had to turn the volume way down for fear of rupturing the speaker.
    Comments welcome.
    Nico
    "Don't make war, make music!" Hammonds, Lowreys, Yamaha's, Gulbransens, Baldwin, Technics, Johannus. Reed organs. Details on request...

This is an interesting thread for me. I'm just starting to get my head around virtual organs. I'm good with electronics but not so good with music and organ terminology.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12