Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Solid State Relay

Watch your spelling Ben. His name is Tony Fenelon.
    Larry

Main: Allen RMWTHEA.3 with Rocky Mount piano, Allen 423-C + Gyro cabinet, Britson Opus OEM38, Saville Series IV Opus 209, Steinway AR Duo-Art, Mills Violano Virtuoso with MIDI, Moller Artiste organ roll player
    Lower Level: Hammond 9812H with roll player, Gulbransen Rialto, Roland E-200, Vintage Moog
    Shop: Mason&Hamlin AR Ampico piano, Allen ADC-5300-D with 18 speakers, 4 matching Allen tone cabinets (including 2 Gyros, but don't call me Gyro Gearloose!).

Quote Originally Posted by AllenAnalog View Post
    Watch your spelling Ben. His name is Tony Fenelon.
    Arggghhh! I should have known better I listen to his playing all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Pipeorganbuilder View Post
    I totally agree with you toodles! More people listened to the small theater organs than the few super large installations. It is amazing the beautiful sounds that were produced from the small instruments.

Michael
    Their is a definite threshold with the unit orchestra in rank count, smaller seven rank organs have more character to them, larger rank counts only belong to large theaters, also depends on the what is given you for ranks, still will want a post horn though, it seems that if your unit orchestra does not have one its like taking the hood ornament off a classic car.
    But their is a point when your unit orchestra becomes more than a unit orchestra with 60+ ranks.

I am involved with maintaining the electrics of a number of original organ installations, some of which have their original relay and/or combination action and some of which have had S/S replacements, and I would say that each should be taken on its merits and the application of a blanket policy (always replace with S/S vs. always conserve original) is inappropriate. With newly assembled organs using old material, I can't see much point trying to integrate a traditional electropneumatic or direct electric relay, one might as well use the most convenient, flexible and economic approach which has to be S/S. When trying to facilitate use of some original installations, there can be great advantages in a multiplex transmission. One venue specifically needed the console to be movable and pluggable into alternative positions and they wanted record and replay. Its original relay was functioning very reliably, so an S/S transmission was added to replace the multicore with a data link and provide the record function. Another was in a similar situation but had problems with its original relay, so this was decommissioned but retained in place. Different approaches for different usages.

With very complete and original installations that stand a chance of surviving for a long time into the future, there is a much stronger argument in favour of conservation as these are the nearest one is going to get to a true museum piece. One large job that I work on strikes a happy balance between museum piece and music machine. It's complete and almost totally unaltered since installation in 1937, with 51 ranks playing via the original direct electric relay from two 4m consoles both with electromechanical capture action. All original behind the scenes, including relays, capture action, wiring, switchgear, all the details right down to the specially wound action current generator that increases in voltage when you capture a combination to overcome the voltage drop from hundreds of lever magnets in the memory system kicking in. It's not 100.0% reliable in every respect, partly because like many others it's maintained on a strictly limited budget, but despite all the complexities it is quite reliable enough for public performance and does not require an onerous amount of maintenance time on the electrics. If I'm away from it for six months, some minor problems will creep in but usually they are only discovered on comprehensive test. It would take 100 years of sorting those out, to equal the cost of replacing the whole lot with S/S, which wouldn't then last 100 years. So for many reasons (inlcuding its grade 1 historic organ certificate) this is an example of an original action that is most definitely a keeper.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12