Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ADC cage voice cards?

ADC cage voice cards?

I don't even know if that's what they are called, sorry. My ADC came with a sticker on the alterable voice 2 tab which said "prepared for." So upon opening the cage I see that the card slot for the alterable 2 is empty. Can anyone confirm if that is a TG5 card like alterable 1? Do these ever come available or would I have to get a loan and contact my Allen rep?
    ALLEN ADC 5000 DK
    Rodgers LDS
    Three Manual VPO project
    Viscount Cantorum VI
    Ahlborn SL-61
    3 Reed Organs

Yep, both slots use identical TG-5 boards. I have never personally installed a second one in an open slot, but it might work. OTOH, the necessary wiring in the backplane might not be there. You could try it out by temporarily moving the one board you have to the other slot, then see if the other Alterable stop works.
    John
    ----------
    Church: Allen MDS-45 with Allen MIDI-DIVISION-II expander
    Home: Allen Renaissance R-230 with expanded four-channel audio and MIDI-DIVISION-II
    Shop: Bunch of organs in varying conditions, some good, some not...
    Half of an incredible two-man organ service team -- servicing all the major digitals in Arkansas churches
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Birds...97551893588434

So did they normally only have one alterable voice available? Seems strange considering the MOS had 4.

Quote Originally Posted by steverose View Post
    So did they normally only have one alterable voice available? Seems strange considering the MOS had 4.
    Steve,

Can you take a photo? The Alterables on my ADC organs are all on one card with A & AA voicing controls on the same card (one for each alterable). Meanwhile, I'll look for a photo of my ADC-6000 or ADC-5400 to see if I can find the information.

Michael

P.S. Some MOS organs had up to 8 Alterables, but I guess Allen figured you didn't need more than 2 on the ADC organ.
    Way too many organs to list, but I do have 4 Allens:
    • MOS-2 Model 505-B / ADC-4300-DK / ADC-5400 / ADC-6000 (Symphony)
    • Lowrey Heritage (DSO-1)
    • 9 Pump Organs, 1 Pipe Organ & 4 Pianos

My ADC-5300 has two TG-5 cards, one in slot 23 for Alterable Voice 2 and one in slot 24 for Alterable Voice 1. Each one has one set of four voicing control pots, unlike the TG-8 cards which have the dual (A and AA channel) voicing controls.

I would think that if it says "Prepared For" that the stop tab and backplane wiring would be in there, just not the card. But switching the existing TG-5 card to the other position (with the power turned off), as John suggested, will tell the rest of the story.
    Larry

Main: Allen RMWTHEA.3 with Rocky Mount piano, Allen 423-C + Gyro cabinet, Britson Opus OEM38, Saville Series IV Opus 209, Steinway AR Duo-Art, Mills Violano Virtuoso with MIDI, Moller Artiste organ roll player
    Lower Level: Hammond 9812H with roll player, Gulbransen Rialto, Roland E-200, Vintage Moog
    Shop: Mason&Hamlin AR Ampico piano, Allen ADC-5300-D with 18 speakers, 4 matching Allen tone cabinets (including 2 Gyros, but don't call me Gyro Gearloose!).

It does seem funny that Allen would only put one Alterable on some ADC models, after having up to 8 on MOS models. I know that I sold a few ADC models with a single Alterable, though most of the time there were two. If the only thing missing is the second TG-5 board, it really is strange they made that second one an option. Having two is such an advantage -- unlimited celestes, a number of voices required two cards, more versatility.

Of course the card reader became something different on ADC organs vs. MOS. With MOS, the Alterables were stops attached to a given division. Once programmed, an Alterable acted just like another stop in that division, coupled with it, etc. With ADC, the Alterable division was a floating division that could be coupled to any keyboard. That was actually a nice change. Made possible, for example, a Festival Trumpet that did not couple. More like the way MIDI stops work.
    John
    ----------
    Home: Allen Renaissance R-230 with expanded four-channel audio and MIDI-DIVISION-II
    Half of an incredible two-man organ service team -- servicing all the major digitals in Arkansas churches

Quote Originally Posted by jbird604 View Post
    It does seem funny that Allen would only put one Alterable on some ADC models, after having up to 8 on MOS models. I know that I sold a few ADC models with a single Alterable, though most of the time there were two. If the only thing missing is the second TG-5 board, it really is strange they made that second one an option. Having two is such an advantage -- unlimited celestes, a number of voices required two cards, more versatility.

Of course the card reader became something different on ADC organs vs. MOS. With MOS, the Alterables were stops attached to a given division. Once programmed, an Alterable acted just like another stop in that division, coupled with it, etc. With ADC, the Alterable division was a floating division that could be coupled to any keyboard. That was actually a nice change. Made possible, for example, a Festival Trumpet that did not couple. More like the way MIDI stops work.
    I saw literature for large MOS Allen organs that had more than 8 alterables. I also saw one that had 2 alterables in the pedal division, which seems almost useless. Almost. Having 2 alterables on the later generations helped in using stereo voices as well as having more authentic chimes sounds by having one alterable do the inharmonic portion of the chime sound.

Quote Originally Posted by myorgan View Post
    Steve,Can you take a photo? The Alterables on my ADC organs are all on one card with A & AA voicing controls on the same card (one for each alterable). Meanwhile, I'll look for a photo of my ADC-6000 or ADC-5400 to see if I can find the information.MichaelP.S. Some MOS organs had up to 8 Alterables, but I guess Allen figured you didn't need more than 2 on the ADC organ.
    20170320_105313_32708476534_o.jpg20170320_105249_33168514510_o.jpg

Here is a picture of the empty slot in question and a picture of the list that shows alterable voice 2 should be in slot 21. I guess the best option is simply to switch the card from 20 to 21 and see if the voice is then moved to the number 2 tab.

And John to reference your point, this organ came with several two card voices, with the left and right cards for bells, chimes and such.

Don't get me wrong, there are enough stops on this thing that I can be fine with one alterable. I was just wondering if it was as easy as slipping a second card in the cage.
    Last edited by steverose; 03-20-2017 at 07:43 PM.
    ALLEN ADC 5000 DK
    Rodgers LDS
    Three Manual VPO project
    Viscount Cantorum VI
    Ahlborn SL-61
    3 Reed Organs

UPDATE! A secondary TG5 card arrived today from Florida and it works just fine. I can now enjoy all the splendor of left and right sided chimes together! It's the little things in life, ya know what I mean?
    ALLEN ADC 5000 DK
    Rodgers LDS
    Three Manual VPO project
    Viscount Cantorum VI
    Ahlborn SL-61
    3 Reed Organs

That's great! Now we know for sure that adding the second card is all that's required.
    John
    ----------

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast