Thread: Thoughts on Weller Soldering Stations

Thoughts on Weller Soldering Stations

Over a year ago, I picked up a beat up Weller W-TCP soldering station from a Ham radio estate sale. It has a TC201 soldering pencil installed.

Initially I was impressed with how well it worked. I was shocked to see it didn't have a temp control knob, but at the same time, it always seemed to put out just the right amount of heat for the job, all without any excess smoking of the rosin. Impressive.

There was about a week of blissful soldering with this unit before the tips wouldn't stay in place. The barrel nut was worn out and chewed up.

I didn't bother fixing it and stowed it away. I was cleaning the garage and I listed this, (among other items) for sale. The guy who wanted to buy it was minutes from meeting me when he cancelled, once he realized that it had an issue requiring repair.

That's when I got curious as to whether it actually could be fixed. Weller, after all, makes parts for a lot of their irons, why not this one... I found the part number is a BA60 barrel nut, and pretty inexpensive. On its way now.

The user manual also revealed just how it auto-heats. Here is a link to it if anyone is curious. Fascinating stuff.

I've gone through three Weller SPG-40 irons. They're cheap but they keep failing on me. Now I can see why. You get what you pay for.

http://bama.edebris.com/download/wel...ch%20Sheet.pdf
    IMG_0686.jpg

When I worked in a manufacturing plant (early 80's) we used Weller soldering stations exclusively and they were quite reliable. Those units had the temperature control knob as we had to solder to Mil-Spec and that required different soldering temperatures.

I have owned a Weller soldering station for the past 25 years. Never had it serviced because it never failed me or had any problems.

I suppose there are good ones and bad ones that come off the assembly line. I must have gotten a good one.

I used Weller soldering guns as kid and their soldering stations at several employers. Always thought they were quality stuff. The solder stations I remember using didn't have temp control knobs either, but there was a thermostat built-in to the tip which you could hear gently clicking on and off.

For most of my career, though, I did all of my soldering using various Unger soldering pencils and tips and they worked fine both in the field and on the bench despite the lack of active temperature control.

A few years back, when I realized that I'd be doing a bunch of circuit board assembly for our MIDI products, I looked into soldering stations. My first choice probably would have been the Weller, but its price was premium compared to the competition. The Hakko stations were a better value and well reviewed. I wound up purchasing digital unit by AOYUE, model 9378, and it's been working great for the past several years.
    Last edited by Admin; 03-16-2017 at 10:11 PM.

I'll most likely keep W-TCP one on the work bench. I'll put my less expensive irons in my field tool bag, and keep a spare. I've had an SPG-40 fail on me while in the field, and it was maddening. The gentleman whose house I was at just happened to have his own SPG-40 laying around so that I could finish the job without a trip home. They are like the Geo Metros of soldering irons. If only they lasted more than a few years.

fff Fortississimo David Anderson's Avatar
    I used a Weller pencil iron for many years for amateur DIY projects, and it held up for 18 years. When it finally died, I bought a replacement made shortly after Weller had been acquired by Cooper Tools and manufacturing had been moved to Mexico. The quality of the replacement was nowhere near that of my previous Weller, and it fell apart from day one. Tips didn't fit well. The barrel nut constantly came unscrewed by itself. When I complained to Cooper Tools about it, they dismissed my complaints, so I switched to Hakko stations.

That said, I have heard that the quality problems that the pencil irons suffered never reached Weller's higher priced products like the soldering stations. But I was very disappointed with how Weller/Cooper Tools responded to my complaints about the problems with my new iron. It boiled down to: You're crazy and you don't know what you're talking about.
    I'm David. 'Dave' is someone else's name.

Have used them at several employers and apart from that the handles get a bit too hot to my personal taste they are about the most reliable I saw. However the latest Ersa (tought it was Ersa) stations were great. They cut the tip automatically but when you lift it out of the holder it is hot by the time you reach the joint. Very small and light but with enormous power (and just as expensive).

For myself I use since years a JBC SL2020.