Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Hauptwerk on Windows 10 Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
    ...Bottom line, a Mac and a PC are like an orange and a grapefruit: they have more in common with each other than either one does to... an apple. Take the GUI off Mac OS and what you see is essentially Unix. Take the GUI off Windows and you will see code that would probably be instantly recognizable as some sort of Unix. DOS (remember DOS) was in essence a creole Unix.
    Well, to be fair to the issue at hand, Apple doesn't need to support a wide selection of computer hardware which is out of their control and this has some definite advantages.

I think some people would differ about a similarity between unix and dos (command line does not make a unix ), but your point is understood. I think Apple had a big advantage in OS design in several areas for a while after OS X came out (NeXT/Openstep was very advanced for its time), but Windows has come a long way since Windows 2000. Macs are still cheaper to support given equally competent support staff, but that's probably less Windows' fault and more the fault of its hardware diversity.

To the OP, I've been working on my own VPO. It'll be just for the Mac. It'll take me a while to have a usable build but I have some unique ideas on usability which I think will be of benefit. If you'd like to be kept in the loop just message me. I'll probably post progress on the forum as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
    I don't know why Win7 would see an SSD any different but it might be that it wants to boot from the primary partition? I mean... that's where you are running the installer from? I don't know... if I was just a dumb operating system installer I might not appreciate the higher motives of someone running an experiment. I'd want to keep things simple and direct. Are you in fact connected to the Internet while the install is running? I'm not understanding why you are not using a Mac since you so clearly feel that it is a superior platform? Bottom line, a Mac and a PC are like an orange and a grapefruit: they have more in common with each other than either one does to... an apple. Take the GUI off Mac OS and what you see is essentially Unix. Take the GUI off Windows and you will see code that would probably be instantly recognizable as some sort of Unix. DOS (remember DOS) was in essence a creole Unix.
    There shouldn't be a problem installing Windows 7 in it's own partition. I don't think a Windows install will fail if not connected to the Internet, at least not in the way Don describes, but a connection is probably a good idea in case the installer needs to download drivers or updates.

DOS and Unix share no common ancestry, and although Windows 3.0 was originally built on top of MS DOS, Windows NT was not - having a lineage more in common with VMS and RSX-11. DOS based Windows disappeared entirely with the rebranding of Windows NT as Windows 2000.

1 members found this post helpful.
    For the record, I'm no fan of Windows 10, but I just got a free desktop as the office was unloading "old" technology in its replacement cycle. This desktop unit is about 3-4 years old (Dell). It was wiped clean before being offered to staff.

Specs: i5 processor, 6 gig RAM, 7200 RPM SATA hard drive. Native crummy internal stock Dell sound/graphics card with 1/8" headphone out jack.

So I downloaded and installed the current Hauptwerk free trial version (St. Anne organ)

Got the latency down quite low using 384 sample buffer on ASIO4ALL.

... again, all of this on the nasty stock internal sound card (remember: this was an office PC, not intended for music/graphics use). Using the 1/8" headphone jack, I routed the audio output through my mixing patchbay into my active studio monitors + 15" subwoofer.

Hooked the midi out from the back of my Hammond XK3c/lower/pedal combo into the USB in on the PC using an old midi 5-pin to USB attachment sitting around the home studio. Using channels 1,2,3, set it up to operate the upper, lower and pedals on St Anne organ within HW.

RESULT: Works like a charm. No glitches, plays smoothly and remarkably well.

I'm sharing this experience and equipment details in order to add this recent experience to that of several others noted here. My conclusion: Windows 10 Pro is not be an obstacle to running Hauptwerk reasonably well.

Since the OP was clearly having frustrating issues (with which I fully empathize, most especially since he shelled out hard-earned money for gear!) it's fair to assume these issues are coming from a different source than the fact that he's using Win10 as his OS.

I know this doesn't actually help solve his problem, but it might at least help him redirect his sleuthing efforts to identify other areas to explore to get things working properly.

- OneWatt
    Last edited by OneWatt; 03-29-2017 at 03:21 AM.

I had the same issue and it turned out that Samsung SSD 950 M.2 was running on the generic Windows 10 Driver. Installing the specific SSD driver from the Samsung website fixed it.

Just an update to my earlier post above...

Having recently purchased the Basic Hauptwerk edition, I added a Presonus USB Audiobox (used via eBay) to upgrade from using Dell's native headphone jack output. Now, using Presonus audio/midi drivers, I uninstalled ASIO4ALL which had worked well before.

Also, added a 17" touchscreen (also purchased used on eBay from a restaurant) which I wall-mounted above the keyboards.

Sounds great and works like a charm. Hauptwerk latency is now slightly less than 10 ms. As reported previously, no glitches or clicks.

All of this is happening on a standalone dedicated Dell i5 with 6 gig of RAM running Windows 10 (which I generally dislike a great deal).

Don't know how much this matters but I've stripped down or disabled everything not relating to Hauptwerk as much as possible.

The PC is not connected to the internet (neither wired nor wireless), so I therefore have no security software running. In short, it's a clean installation that opens Hauptwerk automatically and loads up the last-used organ... all within about 60 seconds after powering up (45 for Windows, another 15-20 for Hauptwerk to start and load prior organ).

I recognize that having a standalone PC dedicated solely to Hauptwerk sounds like a bit of a luxury. But since this PC was a freebie being handed out from the "aging" office hardware pool being replaced by new gear, it's nice to report that it is continuing to be put to good use on a daily basis.
    Last edited by OneWatt; 07-08-2017 at 05:23 PM. Reason: Correct the time estimates for PC power-up and loading.

Sounds great! My meager experience with Hauptwerk (also on Windows 10 and using just the headphone jack audio out) has been similar to yours. I just haven't gone nearly as far with it yet. Using ASIO4ALL and the on-board audio system of this budget laptop (i3 processor, 4 gig RAM) I managed to get down to the mid-20s in latency. That is equivalent to having your console 20 or 25 feet away from the pipes, and I wasn't able to detect it at all. Your 10 ms is an amazing accomplishment and shows just how good Hauptwerk has become.

When I first got into VPO software 12 or 15 years ago, I used j-Organ and my sound card was a Creative Labs, which was the type j-Organ was originally written to run on. There was practically no latency, none that I could detect anyway, even back then, because the software interfaced directly with the sound card. But when I tried to use other VPO software, such as Miditzer or the earliest Hauptwerk, the latency was terrible. It seemed like half a second delay between playing a key and hearing anything. Far too much for me to be able to tolerate it.

So it's encouraging to know just how much better these programs are than they used to be. One of these days I'm going to really take the plunge. Thanks for posting your progress.
    Last edited by Admin; 07-10-2017 at 02:23 PM. Reason: split thread
    John
    ----------
    Church: Allen MDS-45 with Allen MIDI-DIVISION-II expander
    Home: Allen Renaissance R-230 with expanded four-channel audio and MIDI-DIVISION-II
    Shop: Bunch of organs in varying conditions, some good, some not...
    Half of an incredible two-man organ service team -- servicing all the major digitals in Arkansas churches
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Birds...97551893588434

Split Thread

The discussion of latency issues is continued here. -Admin

Windows 10 OK for mr

I am running Hauptwerk on windows 10 which has been upgraded from Windows 7. The only problem I had was audio distortion when I changed my anti virus to AVG. I have removed AVG and run the computer for the best part without the internet. No problems now.

I'm running the latest Windows 10 beta versions which means an upgrade every couple of weeks. I enjoy being of some small help to the developers with my feedback which I hope they read. The recent Game Mode for Windows 10 is supposed to help defer or perhaps turn off services which may interfere with glitch free audio and video for gamers. I've found that I only need two tweaks now to avoid an occasional audio blip. I enable Game Mode for Hauptwerk (only) and then go into the control panel and disable the Superfetch service. That combination has worked well for perhaps six months now.

I run the Goerlitz sample set in surround mode which requires about 70+ GBytes of RAM and a polyphony of at least 6000 simultaneous samples. This is quite a task for any computer in my opinion and I do fine with Windows 10 on a recent Intel i7, 96 GB of RAM total, a Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 audio interface, 6 Behringer monitors, and a Rythmik Audio subwoofer. I use an M2 type Samsung 512 GB SSD for the operating system and the Hauptwerk cache files to speed up the loading process.

All I need to remember is to disable the Superfetch service again whenever Microsoft downloads another upgrade. Oh, I run Windows Defender for virus protection and am connected to the internet at all times. I can't imagine the pain of going back to Windows 7 though I will acknowledge that it was better for audio than the latest Windows releases for quite a long time.

This guide will help to set up a Windows based PC for reliable real-time audio performance.

https://www.cantabilesoftware.com/glitchfree/

It is very comprehensive - and well worth getting if you want to run Hauptwerk on a Windows PC
    My modular, MIDI controlled, software driven virtual 'organ' thread is here: http://www.organforum.com/forums/sho...l=1#post427320

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123