Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Job interviews

Congratulations, Steve. Best of everything in your new church position!

Smile First Sunday

Quote Originally Posted by steverose View Post
    I GOT IT! Starting this weekend. Going Thursday morning to sign everything. Now the fun can begin.
    Hi Steve,

Just wondering how your first Sunday service playing went for you? Hope things went well, still happy and you are busy preparing music for Palm Sunday, (Maundy Thursday?) and Easter. How exciting for you and your "new" congregation!!!
    Lloyd
    ----------
    Retired organist/pianist Church of the Brethren...Allen ADC-4300-DK
    Home...Wurlitzer (ES) Orgatron Series 20 Serial #11608 (retrofitted with MIDI and VPO) with Leslie 45 tone cabinet
    Hammond BC with Leslie 31A tallboy tone cabinet
    A.L. Swan antique pump organ C.1852 Cherry Valley NY

Although I started on the books April 1st, they sent me off on Sunday the 2nd to say my farewell to my church. As a result, today, Palm Sunday was my first service. Things went well enough, struggling to find the right pedals and all. Then as I majestically started off on the intro for the third hymn of the day I saw the priest quickly thumbing through pages of his hymnal in the mirror, he quickly sidestepped over to my shoulder and said "No, this other one, remember?" Oh yeah, I wrote the numbers in the wrong order on my trusty note pad. That little embarrassment aside it went rather well. Several people were nice enough to make comments like "we haven't heard that organ make so many different sounds for a long time." For now I will just keep on swimming, if I can make it through Easter with my dignity intact it will all be easy rolling from there.
    ALLEN ADC 5000 DK
    Rodgers LDS
    Three Manual VPO project
    Viscount Cantorum VI
    Ahlborn SL-61
    3 Reed Organs

Steverose,

We've all had those issues at one time or another. Starting out on Palm Sunday could rattle the most prepared organist. I began in September at my new church, so I had a little time to adjust before the beginning of Advent. On my first week at the console, during the first hymn I played in the new church, everyone was staring at me ... a bit unnerving to say the least so I checked the bulletin and the hymnal to make sure that I was playing the correct hymn ... what I had forgotten was that the video screen with the lyrics to the hymns is above me and to the rear a little.

You will be fine heading into Easter ... just keep your wits about you. We've all been there ... and lived to tell about it. Best of everything as you begin your work in the new church.

It would be a little un-nerving to anybody to start a new position on Palm Sunday, or any other special day. At least you didn't have to start on Easter or Christmas Eve!

Your little bobble with the hymn numbers is the kind of thing that endears one to the folks though. When they see that we magicians who operate that big machine with the pipes sticking out are actually just humans like them, they tend to like us better
    John
    ----------
    Church: Allen MDS-45 with Allen MIDI-DIVISION-II expander
    Home: Rodgers 580 "Cheetah" organ with custom 6-channel speaker system
    Shop: Bunch of organs in varying conditions, some good, some not...
    Half of an incredible two-man organ service team -- servicing all the major digitals in Arkansas churches
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Birds...97551893588434

Quote Originally Posted by steverose View Post
    Then as I majestically started off on the intro for the third hymn of the day I saw the priest quickly thumbing through pages of his hymnal in the mirror, he quickly sidestepped over to my shoulder and said "No, this other one, remember?" Oh yeah, I wrote the numbers in the wrong order on my trusty note pad. That little embarrassment aside it went rather well.
    Steve,

Try a little light reading to reassure yourself of normalcy (& being human):Enjoy!

Michael
    Way too many organs to list, but I do have 4 Allens:
    • MOS-2 Model 505-B / ADC-4300-DK / ADC-5400 / ADC-6000 (Symphony)
    • Lowrey Heritage (DSO-1)
    • 9 Pump Organs, 1 Pipe Organ & 4 Pianos

I suppose they wanted to employ a human being, not a robot, and I've never met an organist, young or old, who couldn't tell stories about hymns being mixed up, the wrong number of verses played, etc.
    You will soon feel more comfortable with the new post, I'm sure.

On Sunday past when I opened the singing prior to the service my mind was - I do not know where.... I started talking on the PA system which was set on an inhumanely loud level for some obscure reason, and my untimely interjection drowning out the still playing sweet melody which my equally sweet organist wife had specially chosen for this occasion. One or two oldsters who sat in reverent attitude listening to the music and perhaps praying, startled out of their wits and grabbing at their ears to protect their hearing aids gave me some annoyed looks and frantically motioning to reduce the volume.....

I had no words to cover up my red face but did apologize after the service to all those who could still hear - and to my wife for so rudely interrupting her beautifully payed music.

It is not only organists who blunder - this time the organist was perfectly in tune and in time....

Nico
    "Don't make war, make music!" Hammonds, Lowreys, Yamaha's, Gulbransens, Baldwin, Technics, Johannus. Reed organs. Details on request...

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345