Page 42 of 42 FirstFirst ... 32404142

Thread: Subwoofer Ponderings

I did test my 6.5" woofer on the AC ducts in my house. I put it on a floor vent with a decent seal. I already figured it would take a lot of power to spread the sound through such a large and long space, but figured it worth a try. The loudest frequency was around 75hz, I only had 2-5W going into it, I was limited to one amp channel, but excursion was large. I could hear it as far as a couple rooms and 40' away, but I had to have my ear up to the vent to hear it. I figure a good 200W of sound would really work well in spreading sound through the house via vents.

Something I experienced a couple weeks ago at a restaurant was how it seems it isn't just at my house (with my speaker setup and room shape) that low frequencies like to collect in the corners. I went to sit at a table near a corner of the room and started hearing a loud 8hz sound (I frequency counted it on my phone). The sound was from a big overhead exhaust fan duct.
    Allen 530A

It might be simpler to just run speaker wire all over the house and put some speakers in faraway rooms. The sound would be delayed by varying lengths of time, getting back to the organ console location. Might make your organ seem to have more fullness and dimension. Of course, everybody in the house would have to be happy listening to organ music all the time!
    John
    ----------
    Church: Allen MDS-45 with Allen MIDI-DIVISION-II expander
    Home: Allen Renaissance R-230 with expanded four-channel audio and MIDI-DIVISION-II
    Shop: Bunch of organs in varying conditions, some good, some not...
    Half of an incredible two-man organ service team -- servicing all the major digitals in Arkansas churches
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Birds...97551893588434

And, if you don't like to run wires all over the house, consider a Bluetooth audio system for all the house speakers.

The wireless idea is good, otherwise I don't know which would be better between the simpler setup of one or two sets of powerful speakers aimed into the air ducts, or wiring speakers in every room. Speakers in every room would allow for more detailed and adjustable sound, but the duct method would double the length that the sound travels if that has any benefit.
    Allen 530A

Quote Originally Posted by KOC62 View Post
    And, if you don't like to run wires all over the house, consider a Bluetooth audio system for all the house speakers.
    Bluetooth latency might be a problem.

That's exactly what I was thinking, but if the purpose is for reverb, it could help add a natural delay
    Allen 530A

Quote Originally Posted by Admin View Post
    Bluetooth latency might be a problem.
    Can in pass for chorus effect?
    If all are Bluetooth driven then latency is relative to all speakers so it may be feasible.

Quote Originally Posted by KOC62 View Post
    Can in pass for chorus effect?
    If all are Bluetooth driven then latency is relative to all speakers so it may be feasible.
    All I know is that users on the Hauptwerk Forum have reported latency problems when using Bluetooth headphones. There are many factors here. Just making a potential issue known.

Page 42 of 42 FirstFirst ... 32404142