Thread: What's so great about the Wurlitzer 4300?

What's so great about the Wurlitzer 4300?

This particular model keeps popping up in conversation all over the place (I even ran into a particularly nice one on ebay and been watching it closely)and I want to know: Everybody seems to be saying this organ is wonderful. What am I missing out on? Is their anything bad about the 4300?Should I change my name to Wurlitzerlover?

Re: What's so great about the Wurlitzer 4300?

It's a good old analog organ. I only ever played one, a long time ago, but I've done more playing on the later 4373, with the Orbit III synth as the 3rd manual. Both made a very typical Wurlitzer electronic theatre organ sound. It looked pretty neat too, real wood, which made a great change from the crappy Japanese and cheapo Italian organs of the era. Great? Dunno about that, I was more into Conn at the time for theatre type sounds, but a nice old organ, nevertheless.

I'm sure OG010 will be here soon, along with the Wurli fan club! []

Andy

It's not what you play. It's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

New website now live - www.andrew-gilbert.com

Current organ: Kawai SR6 + Leslie 760 Walnut
    Retired Organs: Lots! Including Hammond T402, T500 x 2, X5. Conn Martinique and 652. Gulbransen 2012 Pacemaker. Kimball something-or-other.
    Retired Leslies, 147, 145, 760, 710, 415 x 2.

I am sure most of you would expect a comment from me when it comes to Wurlitzer Organs. I am a great Wurlitzer fan. The 4300 is the best spinet transistor organ that Wurlitzer ever built. The next step up is the 4500 which has 25 pedals, and two full manuals with the same specs as the 4300.

I use to own one, and wish to God I still did. However, making two moves in one year, and downsizing in one of the moves just made all the difference. If not for distance I would have already grabbed the first decent one available. I am currently searching for one that is not too far distant, and Ihave my request into several music stores as well as organ techs. It is indeed a very nice sounding organ with a host of features, non automatic rhythms though, a nice coupler system, and many other features worthwhile one of which is some gorgeous sounding chimes. The 4300D has even a few more features including a nice piano stop. Yes, these are fine sounding organs that were built like a battleship. In my honest opinion you can't find a better sounding spinet home organ.

James

Baldwin Church Organ Model 48C
    Baldwin Spinet 58R
    Lowrey Spinet SCL
    Wurlitzer 4100A
    Crown Pump Organ by Geo. P. Bent, Chicago, Illinois

Organs I hope to obtain in the future:

Conn Tube Minuet or Caprice even a transistor Caprice with the color coded tabs
    Gulbransen H3 or G3, or V.
    Wurlitzer 44, 4410, 4420, ES Reed Models, 4300, 4500, Transistor Models

[quote user="andyg"]

I'm sure OG010 will be here soon, along with the Wurli fan club! []

[/quote]

Ah yes... The old 4373's. WurliTzer's crowning achievement into the transistorized world. This was a spinet with some meat on its bones, no, not a spinet... It was a workstation in its day. It had all the bells and whistles that you would expect to find on a console, the only thing holding it back were the numbers 13 and 44. The built-in spectratone was heavenly (I kept mine, and plan to use it someday, as well as the Orbit III).*

If mine were still alive, you can be sure that I would have my 125 hooked on. And the L's could do nothing about it.*

~1936 Hammond AV - Leslie 122 & PR40~ ~1954 Wurlitzer ElectroStatic 4602 - Leslie 125~

I think it is safe to say that my first organ may not be a Hammond after all.

Now I'm still waiting for someone from the theater organ society to send me some new member literature....

Nathan,

Yes, very nice indeed, the 4373's. I never played on very many of these just mostly at a dealer's store. However, they did have those wooden short, very short stubby pedals. The 4300 Series had pedals much like the older Conn's and Hammond's of that era. The 4300 and 4300D had pre-set pistons which visually worked the stops like a pipe organ. All other electronic organs did that "under the hood." I would take a good 4300 Series right now over any Hammond that could ever be given to me. Of coarse, we all have our own opionions, likes, and dislikes.

James

Baldwin Church Organ Model 48C
    Baldwin Spinet 58R
    Lowrey Spinet SCL
    Wurlitzer 4100A
    Crown Pump Organ by Geo. P. Bent, Chicago, Illinois

Organs I hope to obtain in the future:

Conn Tube Minuet or Caprice even a transistor Caprice with the color coded tabs
    Gulbransen H3 or G3, or V.
    Wurlitzer 44, 4410, 4420, ES Reed Models, 4300, 4500, Transistor Models

Hello there,

My mother owns a Wurlitzer 4300-D. She has had it since she was a little girl. My grandmother passed away several months ago and since then my mother has had the organ at her ohuse. She doesn't use it and it is taking up space. She would like to get rid of it. But, the organ has a little bit of electronic problems. The amp works in it. The Leslie works as well. There are just certain tones and certain keys that aren't making a connection. I see how these things would turn away the average consumer. But being a musician, I know some things are worth fixing.I know that if a 65 FenderMustangwas presented to me with some problems, they would be problems worth fixing. The same goes for a 58 Gibson Les Paul, a 72 Ludwig Drum kit, and hopefully in someones case a Wurlitzer 4300-D. My mother hasn't got the room for the organ, but she doesn't want to scap it to some shady music shop that is going to let it go to wast. She wants someone who will take pride in the thing to have it.

Well, if you or anyone you know would be interested, please email me at jacob_snow_21@hotmail.com and thank you for your time.

Also, if you know any repair shops that are into buying old pieces like this and restoring them, please let me know.

I play a Wurlitzer 4300 in the church I go to. And the last church I was in, I also played a 4300. Great organ.. After playing wurlitzer 4300's for like 13 years,I can say that they are reliable. They have a nice tone, [that SPECTRA-Tone is wonderful, almost as good as a real LESLIE] They are built really well and can be moved fairly easy. The 4300 has a 2 powerful amps in it (one for each keyboard according to users manual) but it is a one channel organ. It is versatile as well in the way its voiced. I can make it sound like a pipe organ, theatre organ or even a gospel organ. The church I play for now [a UCC/ABC church] has an early digital ALLEN from the mid 70's and the Wurlitzer 4300, I NEVER play the ALLEN, only the Wurli!!We do a 'blended' worship and the 4300 does an excellent job. It even has drum/cymbals on it and I use them like during offertory or during a fast song. It wakes people up!

from

Anthony, in hayward, CA

Is there anything worth salvaging on this unit.
    Is the 220watt Amp worth salvaging?

Quote Originally Posted by ZVFNomad View Post
    Is there anything worth salvaging on this unit.
    Is the 220watt Amp worth salvaging?
    Yes, there are TWO amps as a matter of fact and it is a stereo organ for all intents and purposes ( the only kind that matter lol) good for other projects...
    Man you better have a good reason for wanting to salvage a 4300!
    There is enough nuts and bolts and screws ( QUALITY BTW) to fill a 32oz Gatorade bottle
    The pedals are the built like a tank! Very adjustable, quality Switch Craft switching,steel!,would make excellent replacement pedals for many cheaper grade pedals in other organs (ie. Hammond Composer series), or perfect MIDI SPINET...of course the 4300 is THEEE perfect spinet. Don't believe me listen to> John La Duca play one...[note the 4300 is the spinet version of the 4500 which is identical internally to the 4520 theater Wurlitzer, or should I say the the 4520 is identical to the 4500 straight cabinet console, the 4500 came first. That said, the 4300 spinet has identical controls to the 4500 & nearly identical internally, but with rocker tabs- no theater tabs. The 4300 is easily the most laid out spinet with in your face power and versatility. Herrrre's Johnny!:

There are 6 speakers on the organ and two of them are 12" Jensens!
    The Spectratone is a complete chassis that can be used as a stand alone unit and converted for use with any organ.

BUILD A SPECTRATONE TONE CABINET WITH THE SPECTRATONE/12"/6x9" ALL LEFT IN PLACE ON LEFT SIDE & POWER IT W/ AMP INSIDE OR USE A TUBE AMP
    The organ cabinet can be cut just above the level of the speaker grill, then the right side ( facing organ) can be brought to center, then the top lid of the organ be placed over the top to build a 'Spectratone cabinet. If you use a piece of trim or right half of top you can be sure the top is covered. It makes a beautiful looking AND sounding functional cabinet. If you are going to wreck a great organ at least keep it's lower 1/4 going.

ANY PART FOR A WURLITZER 4300 CAN BE BOUGHT FROM MORELOCK"S WURLITZER PARTS IN MISSISSIPPI
    MORELOCKS WURLITZER PARTS
    37A Main Street
    Rienzi, MS 38865
    (662) 462-7611
    Fax Number:*
    (662) 462-7611
    email:
    morelocksorgan@frontiernet.net
    Web Address:*
    http://mitatechs.org/morelock

Here is a little correspondence I had with them, their prices are EXCELLENT!
    "Mr. Paul
    ...The 5 watt resistors for the 4500 & 4300 cost $1.00 each. The 15 watt ones cost $1.50 each. The 504833 rectifier diodes cost $1.00 each. The glass reed swithces for the pedals are part number 652756 and c ost $1.50 each. The capacitor 100/25 volts is part number 74432-136 and it cost $1.75 each. The 20/250 twice is part number 74992 and it cost $6.00. As for the other capacitors [that I inquired about- P], I went threw the building material and could not find those unless you are talking about the silver can capacitors which they cost $12.00 and $14.00 each.Wurlitzers part number will be stamp in the side of the can capacitors. It will either start with a 7 or 5 number.As for the neon lamp for the bass divider, I am not sure what you are talking about. Please give me a PC board number or location. Thank You, Janice Morelock Bearden"
    Last edited by paulj0557; 03-24-2012 at 01:41 PM.
    BIG SCORE 5/9/14! FOUND $80 WURLITZER BRASS HORN IN CASE WITH STAND,LONG & SHORT BELL
    Wurlitzer '46' Model 31 Orgatron & 310 rotary cab, 56' 4410 , 65' 4300
    Hammond '55' S6 Chord Organ,HR-40,ER-20, Altec A-7(SOLD but missed). '6?-7?' X66 & 12-77 tone cabinet & L112 spinet [latest addition to my collection]...my RT2,Elegante,Leslie 31H sold
    Gulbransen 61' 1132 '76' Rialto II & Leslie 705 + two 540
    Conn'68' 543 Minuet '57' 406 Caprice '59' 815 Classic (the 29th 815)