Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Chamber Size

  1. #1
    pp Pianissimo Ben Madison's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    168

    Chamber Size

    I need the dimensions for a division that has 12 to 15 Ranks can someone give me the dimension size of the chamber or what should i expect or give me a range to work with to fit my needs.

  2. #2
    pp Pianissimo Darth-Car's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    123

    What are your rank sizes? That will determine your chamber size. If your ranks are all 2' tall, then you will need something the size of a ping pong table. If your ranks are all 32', then you will need something the size of a warehouse.
    Until The Next Dimension,
    Admiral Coluch.

  3. #3
    mf Mezzo-Forte m&m's's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Central New York
    Posts
    600

    It does depend on pipe sizes, and to some degree on the type of action used. I assume that you are talking about the kind of pipes that would form one manual division of a pipe organ, or possibly the pipes for the whole organ if you are doing something like Moller and others have done for small, unified organs. So you are talking about standard sized pipes, not ten ranks of 32's.

    Using either direct electric or tracker, and assuming that you are talking about standard 61-note ranks. with a good selection of ranks (that is, not all big eight-foot stops!), you can figure about 6 inches in the depth of the chamber per rank. The width of the chamber would probably be about 12 feet, to allow room for tuning and repairs. Electropneumatic chests require a little more spacing in the ranks, because of the need for space for the action within the chests. If you are including a four rank mixture in those ranks, if one valve or air opening works four pipes, then you need a lot less space for those ranks.

    Hope this helps some.
    Mike

  4. #4
    pp Pianissimo Ben Madison's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    168

    Quote Originally Posted by m&m's View Post
    It does depend on pipe sizes, and to some degree on the type of action used. I assume that you are talking about the kind of pipes that would form one manual division of a pipe organ, or possibly the pipes for the whole organ if you are doing something like Moller and others have done for small, unified organs. So you are talking about standard sized pipes, not ten ranks of 32's.

    Using either direct electric or tracker, and assuming that you are talking about standard 61-note ranks. with a good selection of ranks (that is, not all big eight-foot stops!), you can figure about 6 inches in the depth of the chamber per rank. The width of the chamber would probably be about 12 feet, to allow room for tuning and repairs. Electropneumatic chests require a little more spacing in the ranks, because of the need for space for the action within the chests. If you are including a four rank mixture in those ranks, if one valve or air opening works four pipes, then you need a lot less space for those ranks.

    Hope this helps some.
    Thanks for the advice. I working on a unified instrument.

  5. #5
    mp Mezzo-Piano VaPipeorgantuner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Shenandoah Valley of VA
    Posts
    394

    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Madison View Post
    I need the dimensions for a division that has 12 to 15 Ranks can someone give me the dimension size of the chamber or what should i expect or give me a range to work with to fit my needs.
    The layout of the chamber will dictate how much space you are going to need, particularly if you have a lot of the larger pipes on offset chests. In many unit organs, the builders put all pipes below 4' C on offset chests (for a variety of reasons), but some ranks could have all pipes to 8' CC (like stopped wood ranks or wood ranks with the 8' octave using stopped wood pipes and open pipes from 4" C on up). A good rule of thumb is to all 7 to 10 inches per toe-board for the manual chests using pouches (e-p action) 6 to 8 inches for electric action (i.e. Reisner 601's, Peterson pipe-valves, etc). 10 ranks front to back will make for very deep chambers...you also need to consider tuning and repair access, winding system design, space for any percussion stops, etc. How many ranks will be extended into the 16' octave, how HIGH the chamber would be. Also the width needs to be sufficient that the "front" wall will have enough space for generous sets of expression shutters. Deep chests make for perilous tuning, even with elevated tuning perch boards, so it is prudent to limit the depth of any given chest (or set of chests) to 5 or 6 MAX sets of pipes. Just some thoughts.

    Rick in VA

  6. #6
    pp Pianissimo Ben Madison's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    168

    Quote Originally Posted by VaPipeorgantuner View Post
    The layout of the chamber will dictate how much space you are going to need, particularly if you have a lot of the larger pipes on offset chests. In many unit organs, the builders put all pipes below 4' C on offset chests (for a variety of reasons), but some ranks could have all pipes to 8' CC (like stopped wood ranks or wood ranks with the 8' octave using stopped wood pipes and open pipes from 4" C on up). A good rule of thumb is to all 7 to 10 inches per toe-board for the manual chests using pouches (e-p action) 6 to 8 inches for electric action (i.e. Reisner 601's, Peterson pipe-valves, etc). 10 ranks front to back will make for very deep chambers...you also need to consider tuning and repair access, winding system design, space for any percussion stops, etc. How many ranks will be extended into the 16' octave, how HIGH the chamber would be. Also the width needs to be sufficient that the "front" wall will have enough space for generous sets of expression shutters. Deep chests make for perilous tuning, even with elevated tuning perch boards, so it is prudent to limit the depth of any given chest (or set of chests) to 5 or 6 MAX sets of pipes. Just some thoughts.

    Rick in VA
    Thank you!

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by VaPipeorgantuner View Post
    The layout of the chamber will dictate how much space you are going to need, particularly if you have a lot of the larger pipes on offset chests. In many unit organs, the builders put all pipes below 4' C on offset chests (for a variety of reasons), but some ranks could have all pipes to 8' CC (like stopped wood ranks or wood ranks with the 8' octave using stopped wood pipes and open pipes from 4" C on up). A good rule of thumb is to all 7 to 10 inches per toe-board for the manual chests using pouches (e-p action) 6 to 8 inches for electric action (i.e. Reisner 601's, Peterson pipe-valves, etc). 10 ranks front to back will make for very deep chambers...you also need to consider tuning and repair access, winding system design, space for any percussion stops, etc. How many ranks will be extended into the 16' octave, how HIGH the chamber would be. Also the width needs to be sufficient that the "front" wall will have enough space for generous sets of expression shutters. Deep chests make for perilous tuning, even with elevated tuning perch boards, so it is prudent to limit the depth of any given chest (or set of chests) to 5 or 6 MAX sets of pipes. Just some thoughts.

    Rick in VA
    Thanks for the pointers.

Similar Threads

  1. Why no chamber organ kit available?
    By wyzwinszh in forum Pipe Organs
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-01-2016, 04:49 AM
  2. subwoofers inside pipe chamber
    By dave3 in forum Classic & Church Electronic Organs
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 02-11-2015, 12:44 AM
  3. Chamber organ building
    By Yohanus92 in forum Pipe Organs
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-05-2015, 01:42 AM
  4. Chamber Organ Music
    By hartleymartin in forum Classical
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-09-2012, 06:43 PM
  5. Organ and Voice Chamber Music
    By LeoZ in forum Buy & Sell Music & Other Items Archive
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-23-2004, 12:08 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •