Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What do you know about Magnavox organs?

What do you know about Magnavox organs?

I ran into an ad in craigslist that said "magnavox organ" (see link)and was intrigued because I thought they only made TV's/radios. Anyone know about these organs?</P>

http://binghamton.craigslist.org/msg/307792781.html</P>

Re: What do you know about Magnavox organs?

That looks downright classy. In the 60s and 70s organs were so popular that almost any company that made electronics or furniture, or appliances, or toys, or all of the above (Sears, Wards...) </p>

I think I heard somewhere that Lowrey(?) made organs for Magnavox or something like that.
    </p>

Seems to look more like a Conn to me.

That's a Conn Caprice, surely. It was pretty common at one point for organ companies to re-badge for 'bulk' clients, or to benefit from using another company's name to add to sales. Lowrey produced organs under the US Story and Clark name for a while, for example.</P>

Andy</P>
    It's not what you play. It's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

New website now live - www.andrew-gilbert.com

Current organ: Kawai SR6 + Leslie 760 Walnut
    Retired Organs: Lots! Including Hammond T402, T500 x 2, X5. Conn Martinique and 652. Gulbransen 2012 Pacemaker. Kimball something-or-other.
    Retired Leslies, 147, 145, 760, 710, 415 x 2.

I remember seeing the Magnavox Organs back in the mid 60's in a music store in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma. To me, they had a sound very much like a Wurlitzer and reminded me of a Wurlitzer. What comes to mind currently was a console model with the rocker tabs across the front. I saw the one you mentioned on Ebay recently, and was surprised to see one come up. The salesman could really play well, and did a nice job of playing on it for me. At that time I was most interested in the Lowrey organs and played on several models, but I don't remember playing on the Magnavox organ.</P>

At one time I remember visiting with a lady who told me she had a Magnavox that needed service since it was non functioning. At that time, she told me her family lived in Tennessee, and her husband drove her to the factory to purchase the organ since they were going out of the organ business and most any organ you wanted could be purchased for nearly wholesale. I want to say, Greenville, Tennessee is where the organs were made, but I could be wrong. However, I do remember Tennessee, and also note the location mentioned on the Craig's list listing. Organs from various companies can be found near where they were made or a dealer sold them.</P>

I hope to hear more about these organs on the forum here.</P>

James</P>
    Baldwin Church Organ Model 48C
    Baldwin Spinet 58R
    Lowrey Spinet SCL
    Wurlitzer 4100A
    Crown Pump Organ by Geo. P. Bent, Chicago, Illinois

Organs I hope to obtain in the future:

Conn Tube Minuet or Caprice even a transistor Caprice with the color coded tabs
    Gulbransen H3 or G3, or V.
    Wurlitzer 44, 4410, 4420, ES Reed Models, 4300, 4500, Transistor Models

Just as a note, Binghamton, New York, the source of the craigslist ad, is about 180 miles (290 km)from North Tonawanda, New York, home of the Wurlitzer factory. </P>

Most interesting! Something else too, the violet color used on this Maganavoxorgan and the consoles I remember were very much like the older ES spinette organs by Wurlitzer. Their stops tabs were labeled in this maroon or violet color too. I just never did care for this maroon color, but nearly all of those spinette organs used that color scheme.</P>

Greenville, Tennesse could have been a distribution plant or where Magnavox could have made their TV's or other products. This is worth some research indeed.</P>

James</P>
    Baldwin Spinet 58R
    Lowrey Spinet SCL
    Wurlitzer 4100A

Andy,</P>

I don't think so regarding this Magnavox being a Conn Caprice. The Conn Caprice organs didn't have that many stops. I would more think of Wurlitzer. Now this is just my opinion only.</P>

James</P>
    Baldwin Spinet 58R
    Lowrey Spinet SCL
    Wurlitzer 4100A

I may have mentioned in one of my post that when I was in high school, I played a magnavox organ in a band. And believe it are not, sound wise, it was much more superior than that vox or farfisa. it's drawback was it was a full spinet and not as portable. I remember that you could use an alligator clamp jumper and hook it up to a bass amp and get a decent left hand bass and a strong organ sound. For the price you couldn't beat it. No Hammond though.</P>

Had a look in the old Blue Book. The tab layout and tab shape is very much Caprice. Most Wurli's with rockers to the left of the upper manual seem to have two rows. Now where's your Wurli expert when you need him!</P>

Andy</P>
    It's not what you play. It's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

New website now live - www.andrew-gilbert.com

Current organ: Kawai SR6 + Leslie 760 Walnut
    Retired Organs: Lots! Including Hammond T402, T500 x 2, X5. Conn Martinique and 652. Gulbransen 2012 Pacemaker. Kimball something-or-other.
    Retired Leslies, 147, 145, 760, 710, 415 x 2.