Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Estey O project

Quote Originally Posted by SubBase View Post
    These were built by Bernard Shoninger of New Haven, and stenciled for sale by Waters of New York City. The round shape in the mantel is a clock.
    Attachment 28307
    I actually have one of these Waters-stenciled reed organs. The clock is pretty neat!

Waters1.jpgWaters2.jpg

I was contacted by someone familiar with my Estey, and she told me it used to have a small mirror that was angled out over the center of the keyboard to see the minister and choir pen, and a small round clock next to the mirror. the clock has never run as long as she knew about it, somehow it and the mirror wound up wrapped in a large tea towel in a box in the kitchen closet and one of the sisters put it with some other towels and forgot about it. When they found them they called my aunt, who called me. So does anyone have any idea what sort of a clock Estey would have put on this thing?

Estey rarely ever put mirrors on their church organs, at least not in most catalog illustrations. The only one that came up on the search was on their Conservatory Phonorium organ.
    The clock (and probably the mirror) were installed by the church or organist.
    Mirrors need to be positioned where they can reflect the conductor, which would vary with every installation.

Hi Casey, I'm coming back to the expert (you!) to ask questions about a model O I've just located. It's too far away to just go look at, so I have to make a decision from a distance. Thanks to the pictures Neighmond posted and your stop designation qualification (Violina/Wald Flute 2), I've determined that the organ I'm looking at is, in fact, an O-83. First off, you say IF it divides at b/middle c...do some divide at the E/F? Is this a seventeen-note sub bass? I saw that in one of the ROS listings, and the sub bass chest looks much larger than the standard sub bass chest. In the ROS database, there is an O-83 listed as Philharmonic Action 83. What determines a Philharmonic Action? I should probably mention that this organ appears to be in very good condition on the inside and comes with a 1920s Orgoblow Jr. Seems definitely worth the travel to pick this up. Thank you for your time and assistance in answering my questions. Matt
    Last edited by matran40; 01-11-2018 at 10:39 PM. Reason: additional information added

1 members found this post helpful.
    If it divides at tenor e/f, it could have the 17 note Sub, or perhaps not. They had a corno 16ft that ran 61 notes.
    I think normally they always divided at e/f, but a friend insists he's seen them divide at middle c.
    Philharmonic in this case means bigger and louder. They were intended for church use.
    Casey

My 83 divides at 24/25 and has the 17 note sub bass. the 16' Corno is a treble stop, the bass part being occupied by the 2' Aeolian Harp.

Casey was kind enough to show a picture of the old true philharmonic actions, which have a stretcher assembly betwixt the keys and the action to accommodate the fatter reed cells-mine is called philharmonic by the factory, but that designation meant louder reeds in a standard size frame by the time mine was made in November of 1921.

Quote Originally Posted by matran40 View Post
    Hi Casey, I'm coming back to the expert (you!) to ask questions about a model O I've just located. It's too far away to just go look at, so I have to make a decision from a distance. Thanks to the pictures Neighmond posted and your stop designation qualification (Violina/Wald Flute 2), I've determined that the organ I'm looking at is, in fact, an O-83. First off, you say IF it divides at b/middle c...do some divide at the E/F? Is this a seventeen-note sub bass? I saw that in one of the ROS listings, and the sub bass chest looks much larger than the standard sub bass chest. In the ROS database, there is an O-83 listed as Philharmonic Action 83. What determines a Philharmonic Action? I should probably mention that this organ appears to be in very good condition on the inside and comes with a 1920s Orgoblow Jr. Seems definitely worth the travel to pick this up. Thank you for your time and assistance in answering my questions. Matt

Here's the clock from mine, made in CT.tmp_12976-IMG_20180111_171149505_HDR-1484025110.jpg

Lady dropped the mirror off today-there are some flat strips that look like a disassembled music rack, a piece of trim missing from the case between the top centre and the pipe facade that the music rack apparently affixed to. She might have more of the missing pieces at home, she's going to look when it gets warmer.

IMG_20180118_232707494.jpg

IMG_20180118_232716470.jpg

1 members found this post helpful.
    One type of O music desk. Make of lattice-shaped pieces.
    DSC_4012_Fotor.jpg

Thanks! That music desk looks a lot like what mine will be if I put all the pieces back together.....it looks like a bundle of laths all masking taped together just now, I think the middle vertical piece is MIA.

The tape is holding the mirror frame together-corners are coming apart. It has two tiny hinges that must have enabled it to tilt. That odd-shaped chunk is part of the equation, but dog if I know just how.

The sister who brought these parts told me that they took the pipe top off to move the organ when the carpet got replaced in the sixties and there was some business that came off at that point in time and didn't go back on. She was unsure as to the why, because her husband was on the committee but she wasn't. She did say that there was an effort to paint the case white with gold trim and pin striping, and it failed to pass committee because nobody could agree if the pulpit and choir pen got it too, and that would have required extra paint and more expense!

There is a horizontal piece between the pipe facade and the organ top that disappeared someplace, and whatever the mirror mounts to was attached to that.
    They also brought me a lamp with a long arm that was somehow dingelberried over the keys, very old but not original.

Quote Originally Posted by SubBase View Post
    One type of O music desk. Make of lattice-shaped pieces.

DSC_4012_Fotor.jpg

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123