Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Just started an ambitious video project will document Pipe Organs of South Carolina

Yes that's me playing the instruments. I have degrees in piano playing. And yes the feet have been the biggest challenge. Initially I started to learn with the goal of being able to sight read simple pieces hands and feet at the same time. Some days however my feet just don't want to play the correct pedal notes. I am amazed by the level of accuracy some performing organists show!

Quote Originally Posted by ttac View Post
    Yes that's me playing the instruments. I have degrees in piano playing. And yes the feet have been the biggest challenge. Initially I started to learn with the goal of being able to sight read simple pieces hands and feet at the same time. Some days however my feet just don't want to play the correct pedal notes. I am amazed by the level of accuracy some performing organists show!
    ]]

Well, if it's any encouragement to you, I would have never known you were a pianist converted to organist. Your feet look like you've been doing it for years and years, especially when you're playing Bach. They look pretty accurate to me. Did someone teach you or did you get lesson books and work on your own?
    My hat's off to you!
    Craig

Hammond L143 with Leslie 760
    Allen MOS 300-C

Thanks, I have gotten about one lesson at the organ. I figured the feet out by using a combination of books like the gleason, davis and the peeters little organ book, they all have slightly different ideas about the pedaling. I just combined them all. When I learned Bach ,to simplify I first learned using only toes and then I added in heels when it made it easier.

Nicely done!
    Until The Next Dimension,
    Admiral Coluch.

Thanks!Here is a stop by stop demonstration https://youtu.be/eM4KJR9m68I

1 members found this post helpful.
    I really enjoy these videos so please keep them going!

-WJ

I'm really enjoying this thread and admire your fortissimo effort in this project. I noticed you mentioned the Schantz at the baptist church in Gaffney. I had the pleasure of performing on that instrument a few years ago, as well as the Skinner instrument on the campus of Limestone College in Gaffney. Other noteworthy instruments I've played in SC include the Perragallo in St Peters RC church in Columbia (GREAT acoustics!); the Fisk at Furman U; and 2 in Charleston--the Austin/Ontko&Young at First (Scots) Presbyterian, and the fabulous 65-ish rank Austin at St Matthews Lutheran (easily one of my favorite organs!). I have a couple of vids posted on YouTube if you care to hear me play our 52-rank Austin at Decatur Presbyterian (currently being enlarged to 88 ranks by Robert Coulter). Pax vobiscum

Ttac,

Have you ever considered adding the links to your *ou*ube recordings of various organs to the OHS Database? It is excellent documentation of the various instruments' condition and playability in a period of time.

Thanks for starting this thread.

Michael
    Way too many organs to list, but I do have 4 Allens:
    • MOS-2 Model 505-B / ADC-4300-DK / ADC-5400 / ADC-6000 (Symphony)
    • Lowrey Heritage (DSO-1)
    • 9 Pump Organs, 1 Pipe Organ & 4 Pianos

Cool

Hi Michael, That is a good idea. I will see if I can get around to doing that.- - - Updated - - -
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt McMahan View Post
    I'm really enjoying this thread and admire your fortissimo effort in this project. I noticed you mentioned the Schantz at the baptist church in Gaffney. I had the pleasure of performing on that instrument a few years ago, as well as the Skinner instrument on the campus of Limestone College in Gaffney. Other noteworthy instruments I've played in SC include the Perragallo in St Peters RC church in Columbia (GREAT acoustics!); the Fisk at Furman U; and 2 in Charleston--the Austin/Ontko&Young at First (Scots) Presbyterian, and the fabulous 65-ish rank Austin at St Matthews Lutheran (easily one of my favorite organs!). I have a couple of vids posted on YouTube if you care to hear me play our 52-rank Austin at Decatur Presbyterian (currently being enlarged to 88 ranks by Robert Coulter). Pax vobiscum
    Hi Matt, Thanks for your comment. that's exciting to hear about the Austin in Decatur! I hope that we can get down to Charleston sometime soon.We just recorded the Fisk at Furman...Hello everyone after a long wait here is episode 9: The Furman Fisk. This is part one: https://youtu.be/5LiRt6PTbjE upcoming are more pipe organs in Greenville county. We have recorded three instruments so far.

Hello All, Here is Part two of the Mechanical Action "Furman Fisk"Here I act as willing student in registering the Toccata in F major by Buxtehude. Charles Tompkins gives us his take. Hopefully this will be a valuable resource for organists both beginners and professionals. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eoFLMr90KCQ

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast