Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Motor Control - Reed Relay

Quote Originally Posted by muckelroy View Post
    Most solid state amplifiers will be fine if nothing is attached to their outputs. They only begin to over-conduct and overheat if the outputs are shorted (so a close-to-zero load). Grain of salt is, I am not intimately familiar with the 130 amp, and I don't know if there are quirks with it that are exceptions to that rule.

I would think you could disconnect the 130 amp board through its 5 pin molex connector. It also gets signal input, but I assume you're sending that to the woofer already.
    Oh i see. I will take a look to see if i can pull out a molex 5 pin to kill the power to audio amp. I guess i was also wondering if disconnecting the power to the audio section will cause problems elsewhere, like throwing off what the power supply is supposed to see
    Last edited by tone; 01-26-2018 at 06:26 PM. Reason: spelling

If all the power supply needs to do is motor control, I don't think it will matter.

If you disconnect the amp card, the rectified portion of the power supply (40, 35, and -40V rails) will not have a load and may run a little higher, but as long as those rails do not exceed 50V, it should be safe. That being said, if the 3000uf/50V filter capacitors are leaking voltage or have a high ESR, they should be replaced regardless of what you're doing with the amp board. It may even help with the hum on the amp. Can't say for sure.

If all the power supply needs to do is motor control, I don't think it will matter.

If you disconnect the amp card, the rectified portion of the power supply (40, 35, and -40V rails) will not have a load and may run a little higher, but as long as those rails do not exceed 50V, it should be safe. That being said, if the 3000uf/50V filter capacitors are leaking voltage or have a high ESR, they should be replaced regardless of what you're doing with the amp board. It may even help with the hum on the amp. Can't say for sure.
    Ok thanks. I should replace the caps regardless. However, it all works, and those caps seem pricey.
    The hum is not audio related. It is the motor itself. I'm wondering if there is a way to get it quieter..

Right sorry. If it's the Leslie motor humming, new motor mounting grommets may help. Check out the service manual. www.tonewheelgeneralhospital.com has a number of grommets available. They might be able to help you pick which you need.

Right sorry. If it's the Leslie motor humming, new motor mounting grommets may help. Check out the service manual. www.tonewheelgeneralhospital.com has a number of grommets available. They might be able to help you pick which you need.
    thank you again. i have the motor out of the unit and it's resting on the edges of a few boxes as temporary mounts to keep it suspended vertically. Indeed, when the motor is running it is causing the boxes to sort of hum, and when i lift the motor off it dramatically quiets down. So, i suppose i just need better/fresher mounts!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234