Thread: Conn 652 theatre deluxe-white

Conn 652 theatre deluxe-white

Hello-
    I'm looking to see what a honest quote would be for a full working, white antique, Conn 652 Theatre Deluxe would be.
    Looking at one. He lowered to $1750. I think that is still high. What's the general opinion here?
    Thank you 652.jpg

Great sound, great appearance, +1
    Design date 1978 according to Jan G's famous list.
    Repairability, 0. there are some IC's in there you can't buy, and I believe I remember key scanning on these involves a parallel to serial converter that can't be diagnosed by ordinary mortals. The amps, mixers, power supplies are as repairable and low tech as any old analog organ.
    this is the only one you'll see, I imagine. What if it broke next year, unrepairably? How much is it worth to you? How much can you throw away on a year's pleasure? Can it even be converted to jorgan software on a PC with that non-standard key matrix?
    I'd say offer $600 cash, leave a phone number, and walk away. Your top price may vary depending on income and hobby budget. Equivalent Allens are more like $2k to 10, but there is a repair plan if one craters. Allens have 1 key 1 contact design, a natch for midi conversion. These, organservice.com of Marengo, IN is your only hope. They are part time these days. I haven't seen a 3 manual conn for parts on craigslist around here for 2 or 3 years.
    Last edited by indianajo; 06-16-2016 at 02:01 AM.
    city Hammond H-182 organ (2 ea),A100,10-82 TC, Wurlitzer 4500, Schober Recital Organ, Steinway 40" console , Sohmer 39" pianos, Ensoniq EPS, ; country Hammond H112

Plenty of these are still going very strong indeed, and they make a great sound - in fact I'd take one over the 653. But as Indie says, there are non-replaceable items in there and that's its Achilles Heel as far as value is concerned. $1750 is still way too high and I'd go with Indie's suggestion. Make a firm low offer, prepare for the seller to be offended, but then come back to you when it doesn't sell for what he hopes.

And, yes, it can be MIDI-fied. There are loads of them around on the virtual organ forums, some running as pure MIDI drivers, others still playing their own sounds, but with MIDI as well.
    It's not what you play. It's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

New website now live - www.andrew-gilbert.com

Current organ: Roland Atelier AT900 Platinum Edition
    Retired Organs: Lots! Kawai SR6 x 2, Hammond T402, T500 x 2, X5. Conn Martinique and 652. Gulbransen 2102 Pacemaker. Kimball something-or-other.
    Retired Leslies, 147, 145, 760 x 2, 710, 415 x 2.

Thanks guys! Appreciate the info. Andy, yah, I've given up looking for a 653. I know of the issues but, really liked the looks. But, this is as close as I can get. Not a fan of white but, not going to say no either. Can always repaint in black with gold trim. The guy who has this for sale, is an organ tech. Was certified by Conn and Wurlitzer. It was his mothers originally. I thought $1750 was way high too. I understand they need the money for their father they just put in a nursing home. But still. I'm somewhat familiar with the insides, after having a 650. I still have my organ tech who can almost work miracles This one, I could see "upgrading" down the road with midi or a midi add on. Bad thing is, it cost almost as much to just do an add on, as it does gutting it and going full midi. You wouldn't think it should be, unless I'm talking to the wrong person. Any advice on that spectrum?

1 members found this post helpful.
    BTW - If anyone needs 652 parts, please PM me.

Jim
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Keeping (too many) old organs alive.
    Allen ADC 2110-T, Rodgers Trio 321B
    Conn 651, 713
    Hammond M-3 w/Leslie 120
    Hammond Solovox
    Mass-Rowe model 96 Carillon

Thanks Jim!

Conn 652 replacment chips

Quote Originally Posted by jepsound View Post
    BTW - If anyone needs 652 parts, please PM me.

Jim
    Jim, Robert Scott from down under (Australia)
    Although I have quite a few keyer 40 pin chips the TOS chips in the solo/percussion generator would be nice to have. Also the bi-pedal generator chip and the manual multiplexer chip. I am a tech of over 40 years and although I have worked on some fairly complicated equipment in the RAAF (served over 20 years) this organ is probably one of the most complex I have ever worked on. I am in the process of re socketing all the the IC sockets in the organ with machined gold plated types, a long process but relatively easy as each card is a plugin and can be removed and worked on on my vacuum de-soldering and soldering bench. Besides repairing organs (now semi retired) I also do some design work so I am designing a board to check each keyer I have for serviceability.
    Could you let me know if you can help me out with spare parts please ?

Smile Conn 652 worth

I paid $900 AU for mine in Australia but work was required, I am able to do this myself being an electronics tech in the RAAF for over 20 years plus my own business after. as well as an organist for over 40 years. A full understanding is required of the digital techniques used in the keying of the entire organ (not for the faint hearted mind you) and required equipment is good analogue meters, counter and two channel 100 Mhz CRO with 10 x cro leads and the ability to be able to use it. $1700 US is way far too much for this older organ. There is a dealer called Prestige Piano here in Melbourne Australia who requires $6,000 AU for one but he is a rip off merchant or the first order. By the way the 652 went for around $16,000 AU way back in 1979 in Australia when it was brand new. Be careful and check inside for mice damage, that is back off and stop rail up with key beds pulled out. Check for mouse **** and urine damage . Mouse urine is most corrosive on metal parts and they chew through cabling. Believe me I have been there, it's not nice, wash your hands with disinfectant soap and really if you value your health have a shower with medicated soap after the job is done.

Regards Rob

...Could you let me know if you can help me out with spare parts please ?...(ROB)

Rob - I still have the 652 parts available. I have most all the keyers. from what I can find, there are different keyers for diffeent regions of the keyboard. I also have a pedal generator and most of the other tone generator/keying PCB's. PM me for details.

Thanks,

Jim
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Keeping (too many) old organs alive.
    Allen ADC 2110-T, Rodgers Trio 321B
    Conn 651, 713
    Hammond M-3 w/Leslie 120
    Hammond Solovox
    Mass-Rowe model 96 Carillon

Jim,
    I didn't know where the reply was sent to. Just found it. My email is robertscott1949@gmail.com could you give me an idea of what you have and money you would require please. I am trying to keep this instrument going for as long as I am able so if you could just supply the in House CONN chips that would help and keep the weight down for postage. Multiplexer, pedal generator, Top octave chips from the solo & tuned percussive generator. If you have boards with these chips on then I would be interested in purchasing the whole board. Can you give me an idea please ?

Regards Robert Scott