Thread: Estey Model T #302047

Estey Model T #302047

Hi everyone,

In this thread, I would like to share with you a few updates and recordings from my Estey Model T 60.

As an organ player, I was looking for a reliable training instrument. After trying a few French pressure reed organs, I felt deeply disappointed because of their loud voicing and accordion-like tone. Then came this nice Estey model T, built between 1896 and 1898 in the Brattleboro manufactory. I was literally flabbergasted when I heard such refinement in tone, such differentiated voices ! Thus, I am now the happy owner of this instrument.

Because American reed-organs are relatively rare in France, there is little knowledge and spare parts available down here. Thus, I'd be happy to get advice on this forum about how to properly take care of this wonderful Estey. The antique noisy blower will be replaced next month, and the whole instrument should be professionally restored in 12 to 18 months.

In a few weeks, if everything goes as planned, I should submit my first recording, Bach fugue BWV 574 on a theme of Legrenzi. I also have a few trio sonata movements in stock, that I will probably work back during next summer. At the moment the instrument is quite out of tone, but this should be gradually improved as the restoration work is done.

Thank you for reading the long post,
    Johann

NB : please be kind with my english, it is quite rusty since I have not been using it for 7 years !

Here are a few pictures of the instrument, as I bought it.

Organ overview Opened panel The Estey signature Left hand stops Right hand stops
    100_2742.jpg 100_2743.jpg 100_2747.jpg 100_2745.jpg 100_2746.jpg

Pictures of its entrails will be soon available

Here is the stops and accessories list :

Great : Swell : Pedal : Accesories :
    Clarinet 16' Bourdon 16' (descant) Open diapason 16' Swell to Great
    Open diapason 8' Salicional 8' Stopped diapason 16' Swell to Pedal
    Dulciana 8' Flute 4' Great to Pedal
    Trumpet 8' Harp aeolienne 2' (bass) Great to Great 4'
    Tremulant
    Full organ (tutti)
    Swell expression
    Great expression

Quote Originally Posted by smsfre View Post
    Thank you for reading the long post,
    Johann

NB : please be kind with my english, it is quite rusty since I have not been using it for 7 years !
    Johann,

Bienvenu sur le Forum! I haven't used my French since the last time I was in Quebec City in 2000. I envy your Estey, as mine was built in 1929, and has four fewer stops than yours. It is mistakenly listed as an Estey Style T in my Gallery, but since the gallery was archived, I am unable to change it.

I look forward to your recordings when they are posted. I think there is a limit on the size of the .mp3 file that can be posted, but we'll get the idea.

Again, welcome to the Forum, and I hope you enjoy your time here. Casey (Subbase) is an excellent resource for information. You may even find it useful to review some of his posts on American reed organ repair.

Michael
    Way too many organs to list, but I do have 4 Allens:
    • MOS-2 Model 505-B / ADC-4300-DK / ADC-5400 / ADC-6000 (Symphony)
    • Lowrey Heritage (DSO-1)
    • 9 Pump Organs, 1 Pipe Organ & 4 Pianos

Hello,

Here is a first sound sample of the intrument I made a few weeks ago. It is Buxtehude C major praembulum. I apologize for the noisy blower.

http://picosong.com/tkzk

I submit this modest recording, which is only intended to demonstrate the quality of the instrument.
    This is why you might notice a few mistakes, or that some of the trills might not be as precise as they should.

By the way, I will have the organ professionnally restored by september.

Would you be interested in hearing more from this Estey ? If so, I will wait until the restoration to record, and make them more "seriously", with video.
    Last edited by smsfre; 07-14-2016 at 08:36 AM.

Thank you for sharing your recording. Now, I have a better idea what mine will sound like when I get rid of all the ciphers.

I am definitely interested in hearing a before/after version of the recording once it is professionally restored. I'm sure the difference will be worth it!

Thanks again for sharing.

Michael

Hi everyone,

At last, the restoration has started ! I'm really looking forward to hearing the reed organ again !

Here are some pics of its insides... They should be regularly updated.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...0690892&type=3

Bon jour! I wish my French were as good as your English!

Thank you for sharing your music. You have a good instrument there. Keep playing and restoring and sharing.

Nico
    "Don't make war, make music!" Hammonds, Lowreys, Yamaha's, Gulbransens, Baldwin, Technics, Johannus. Reed organs. Details on request...

Awesome! I inherited an estey model T from my grandfather. Circa 1920, originally from a church in Redwood City, California. It was professionally restored about 15 years ago and has been running smoothly ever since. It has one more swell stop and only one expression pedal. I can post photos if anyone would like.