Thread: kimball swinger jubilee?

kimball swinger jubilee?

I have a great organ stuck in my stairway.. its a kimball swinger jubilee.. does anyone kow the model number- or better yet could they point me to a service manual?

Thanks so much
    R

Re: kimball swinger jubilee?

Ah... its a 1360.
    but still looking for a service manual. I can find one for the 1300... is that close enough?

[quote user="mudboy"]Ah... its a 1360.
    but still looking for a service manual. I can find one for the 1300... is that close enough?[/quote]

I would be willing to bet so. I wonder if, like hammond, kimball used a numbering system where the first half was the Model and the second was the Cabinet style.

~1936 Hammond AV - Leslie 122 & PR40~ ~1954 Wurlitzer ElectroStatic 4602 - Leslie 125~

Hello Mudboy, As I have mentioned previously, I also have a Kimball Swinger Jubilee, also known as the Kimball Model 1360. It is my understanding that the 1300 models have similar chassis, but the cabinets vary. I have had mine for aobut 6-8 years, and I have had my share of trouble with it. First, I had trouble with the F# generator in the tone generator circuit.. The oscillator operated normally, on the 2 and 4 ft. stops, but the 8' and 16' dividers would notwork. I sent the F# generator to a repair facility in Indiana. When it returned, it operated for a short time, then quit again. I am sure the trouble is in the flip-flop multivibrator divider circuit, but I have done everything short of replacing the PAC's. </P>

For those who have had the experience of removing and replacing one of the tone generators, it is no easy task. The units are all hard-wired into the circuit. There are no convenient plug-in sockets or plugs to make installation and removal easier. I am sorry to say, but the wiring on the tone genereator of my Kimball 1360 is a veritable rats nest! I used to teach NASA-type soldering to military personnel, as well as NASA technicians. They had to be certified to do NASA-type soldering. But the wiring inside my Kimball 1360 was a disgrace!. </P>

In addition, my vibrato circuit went out. I could jumper a small condenser from the input to the output of the circuit, and I would get the output from the rhythm section, without the springs ever being energized. For that purpose, I normally use the Leslie rotating plastic wheel, reverb, or impeller, whichever you call it. </P>

By comparison, the small Wurlitzer 4075-R which I recently purchased has much better craftsmanship in the circuitry.The different units have "pig-tails"attached to the various circuit boards, and have series connectors between interconnecting units to make it easy to remove or install theunits. No such luxuries in the Kimball 1360! Comparing the tone generators in the Kimball with the tone generators in the Wurlitzer 4075-R is like night and day. The Wurlitzer is laid out so much neater than the Kimball. Of course, the Wurlitzer also has the whirly-gig type of reverb unit, and it works fairly well. However, I am in the process of making some minor changes in the circuit of the whirly-gig. For instance, the two 4" drivers (speakers) are connected in series, making the load 16 ohms. It is fedthru a 30-mfd capacitor, which reduces the power being fed to the drivers. I am planning to parallel the drivers, resulting in an impedence of 4 ohms, and increasng the value of the capacitor in series with the drivers, to provide more power to the speakers. I might also install a high-wattage potentiometer , perhaps 50 ohms, 10-watts or so, in the speaker circuit, to enable me to have complete control of the output of the whirly-gig. The whilry-gig is a 2-speed rotating speaker system built into the cabinet.</P>

Presently, I am involved in trying to clean up the organ, to remove the nicotine odor from the entire organ. It also causes intermittent keying, requiring contact cleaning as well. I am taking my time, as my better half insists that I get the cigarette-smell out of the organ before I can bring it into the house. As a non-smoker myself, I can appreciate that! Good luck with your Kimball 1360. I love the tone of the Kimball, but maintenance is a real problem! I would chuck both of them if I could find a good Model 44 Wurlitzer...with "Instrumental Percussion."Love those REEDS!! Reedman.</P>

Hello </P>

Reedman,</P>

Yes, the Wurlitzer's had a nice Reed tone. Unfortunatly, the strings and Diapasons didn't sound so great...I play a Wurlitzer 4300 at my church. (its a spinet!) I have been playing that particular model organ for about 12 years now every Sunday. The "whirly-gig" as you called it (LOL! LOL!) is the SPECTRA -TONE Vibrato (a generic Leslie system) and even though Wurlitzer was being cheap and didn't want to pay Leslie and use his speaker system , they did pretty good at making their own. I love the Spectra tone. It has a very deep sound. And the 4300 has like 2 35 watt amps. Not bad for a mid-60's spinet. It really makes a nice church organ. I can play classical or hymns or even gospel or contemporary. Speaking of Kimball , My grandmother, who was just recently put into a "home", gave me her Kimbal "broadway" model (R-80 Is the model number I believe) -she had some problems with it in the past and I remember seeing the insides and thinking "how cheaply made is this product." It was made in like 1980 and the 4300 was made in mid- to late 60's and the 4300 was much better made and easier to service. Kimballs have a bad reputation as far as reliability. But some of the better models do have a terrific sound and nice features.</P>

Take care and good luck!</P>

from,</P>

Anthony, in Hayward, CA</P>

</P>