Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Leslie #9770 Connector Kit Mod

Leslie #9770 Connector Kit Mod

My Hammond X-66 is four channel. The 9770 connector kit is four channel. Hammond U.S.A. says it won`t work with my organ. Is there any way to modify the kit or the organ so I will be able to connect my 925 Leslies? Being able to use this kit would solve so many problems for me.... Thank-you.

1 members found this post helpful.
    Wish it was that easy!

The four channels on the X66 are;
    1) Drawbars A
    1) Drawbars B
    1) Tab Voice Channel
    1) Reverb

The Leslie 925 is a single channel speaker.

The 9770 Kit accepts 4 channels and does main/echo with 4 channels but mixes down to 2 channels on its output. The 2 channels are Stationary and Rotary. The 925 doesn't have those inputs making it non-compatible with the kit.

Lastly, if you modified the kit and/or Leslie to mate, you would be mixing all 4 channels of the X66 down to 1 channel. There could be some phase problems not to mention having Tab Voices going through the rotary system.

I would think a 2-channel Leslie at the very least would be a step in the right direction. Keeping the Tab Voices separate from the Drawbar tones. There are still issues with routing the bass to the appropriate bass channel etc.

Like I said, wish it were that simple.

Geo

You need the 9660 kit, which should mix the channels for Drawbars A and B (or perhaps just take one of them) and send those sounds only to the 925, leaving all the other sounds in the Series 12 cabinet that I assume you already have. It's perhaps possible to use the 9770 in this way - I don't have the schematics - but as geo says, you certainly wouldn't want to mix all the X66's channels down into one rotary.
    It's not what you play. It's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

New website now live - www.andrew-gilbert.com

Current organ: Kawai SR6 + Leslie 760 Walnut
    Retired Organs: Lots! Including Hammond T402, T500 x 2, X5. Conn Martinique and 652. Gulbransen 2012 Pacemaker. Kimball something-or-other.
    Retired Leslies, 147, 145, 760, 710, 415 x 2.

Thank-you Geoelectro! That answer was very comprehensive and useful. You might know of the 9660 Leslie kit; it was designed for just this application; however, it was unfortunately discontinued around 1980, and not replaced. I don`t have tech. information on the 9660; I wonder how it coped with the problems you mentioned? I`ve been looking for a pair of 9660 kits to drive my five 925s, but with no success so far....

The Drawbars A and B channels on the X-66 are different phases, producing a stereo effect when the vibrato is on, but are otherwise identical except that one of them carries the bass channel. If I used the one with bass along with the reverb channel, that would be acceptable. I could do without the tabs voices sounding through the Leslies.

I wonder if I could use only the rotary output channel from the 9770 kit?

My other X-66 sounds fine with two Leslie 122s driven by the drawbar channel with bass, and the reverb channel; tabs channel sounding through the Series 12 cabinet.

Reply to andyg

Thank-you andyg. Your forum is most helpful. The more information I can glean, the better equipped I will be to tackle this daunting project. If you could please direct me to a 9660 kit or two, I would be more than grateful..... Meanwhile, I`ll continue to search out all the assistance I can.

If you don't need the Tab Voices then yes, you could use the 9770 kit to put the drawbar tones into the Leslie. The kit will need a modification because it expects pin-4 to be the stationary channel input but on the 925 it is the reverb control pin. The rest of the pins line up correctly.

Geo

Excellent! That is good news indeed. I`m wondering if the Leslie reverb/stationary channel could still be controlled through the kit, or if it would have to be switched by another means? Those 6"x9" speakers with their separate amplifier add a lot to the sound. While the Leslie rotors are stopped, that channel would sound good using the X-66 vibrato; then turning that channel off along with the organ vibrato while simultaneously starting the Leslie rotors could produce an exciting effect.

The 9770 kit is unable to control the reverb in the 925. The kit "as is" will be trying to send audio to that control pin. That has to be disconnected so all audio goes to pin-2, rotary input. A separate control can do the switching which could be incorporated into the kit itself running an additional switch to the front.

Geo

I understand. I will be running two sets of 925 Leslies; three on one side of the stage, and two on the other side of the stage, next to the Series 12 speaker. Could I connect two 9770 kits to the organ and control the audio and speed control for each side separately?

I'd imagine that you could send Drawbar A to one side and B to the other, but you'd have to modify the kits so they don't mix A and B. With two kits and two half moons for speed control, you'd get what you want.

But from a balance point of view, if you have five leslies on drawbars and just the one Series 12 handling everything else, won't it all be seriously biased towards the drawbars?
    It's not what you play. It's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

New website now live - www.andrew-gilbert.com

Current organ: Kawai SR6 + Leslie 760 Walnut
    Retired Organs: Lots! Including Hammond T402, T500 x 2, X5. Conn Martinique and 652. Gulbransen 2012 Pacemaker. Kimball something-or-other.
    Retired Leslies, 147, 145, 760, 710, 415 x 2.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast