Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: how to fix a baldwin organ

Angry how to fix a baldwin organ

i am haveing trouble with a baldwin 46c tube organ , the over all volume output is not very loud , i have turned the volume pots on the amp all the way up and all i get is a very noticeable increase in hiss , also the D & F notes on both upper and lower manual distort when played and last but not least ! when i power it up i hear pops and a scratcy sound that comes on and off and after a while these sounds are not heard anymore .
    can anybody out there shed some light or have suggestions as to what the problems might be ?
    i have checked all of the tubes inside the organ with a B & K 707 tube tester and they all test good .
    what could it be ?
    help .

Power supply is a good place to start. Check that all the voltages are correct and that nothing's sagging under load. Turn all those trim pots back to where they were (I hope you followed good practice and marked their original positions!) as that isn't the way to increase the volume as you've found.

With an oldie like this, you're very likely looking at changing all the electrolytic caps in the power supply and possibly elsewhere. Hazardous voltages involved here, so read the sticky on procedures first, unless you're already experienced in high voltage repairs.
    It's not what you play. It's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

New website now live - www.andrew-gilbert.com

Current organ: Kawai SR6 + Leslie 760 Walnut, plus Kawai K1m synth module loaded with my custom sounds.
    Retired Organs: Lots! Hammond T402, T500 x 2, X5. Conn Martinique and 652. Gulbransen 2102 Pacemaker. Kimball something-or-other.
    Retired Leslies, 147, 145, 760, 710, 415 x 2.

Angry baldwin organ notes

i have a baldwin 46c 2 manual tube organ , when i play the D and F notes , they are distorded , this problem occurs on both upper and lower manual and all of the mentioned keys of the entire scale .
    can anybody shed some light on this , or tell me what could be causing it ?
    i have checked all off the tubes in the entire organ and they all test good .
    HELP PLEASE !

2 members found this post helpful.
    Baldwin tube generators are starting to fail like this and have for years. It's not usually the tubes, it's the capacitors under the chassis. They all need to be replaced and the generator tuned back up. We used to rebuild them basically by recapping them and tuning. We would take the entire generator out, bring to our shop, rebuild and bring back. It comes out fairly easily. The problem was after a while the rebuilt ones started having problems again. We couldn't guaranty them so we quit taking them in.

What's happening is the dividers are failing. There is a master oscillator per note of an octave. All the lower octaves are created by dividing the oscillators by two several times. Once a divider stage fails, all the lower notes will fail also. If you want to pursue this get a schematic and locate the caps. Make an inventory of all the values it uses, acquire them and replace the old ones.

My hesitation on these is there may be some transformers going bad as well. They are custom made and probably NLA. Called pulse transformers they work in conjunction with the caps making the oscillator and divider circuits.

It doesn't cost much to change out some caps so I might try that first. I would also measure the resistors while in there to see if they are still on spec.

Geo

1 members found this post helpful.
    I've merged your two threads about this. Multiple threads on the same topic will only dilute the replies you get - until one of the moderators merges them.
    Andy G - Moderator
    It's not what you play. It's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

Current organ: Kawai SR6 + Leslie 760 Walnut, plus Kawai K1m synth module loaded with my custom sounds.
    Retired Organs: Lots! Hammond T402, T500 x 2, X5. Conn Martinique and 652. Gulbransen 2102 Pacemaker. Kimball something-or-other.

thanks for the great tip . i will try that .

Unhappy tuneing a baldwin 46c organ

does anybody know how to re tune up a baldwin 46c organ ? i am planning on replaceing the caps in the tone generator and the organ probably may need to be retuned up .
    how is this done ?

1 members found this post helpful.
    That model came out in 1961 and is easily tunable. If it was mine, I would not replace the tone generator capacitors and just tune the 12 oscillator coils, one on each tone generator. You will need a tuning standard for the 12 notes of the scale: if you have an iPhone, there are apps available for that. Depending on the actual age of your 46C, the pitch is adjusted by gently screwing or unscrewing the core atop each metal can coil.

If you are just itching to replace something, go after the large can electrolytic caps in the power supply. Before you dig in, suggest you invest in a service manual: i have an original for sale from my collection: send me a Private Message (aka PM) if interested. That manual covers all adjustments, including tuning.

. . . Jan
    the OrganGrinder

You've now opened three threads on this topic. Please do not do this, for the reason I gave above. I've now merged all three threads. If you have subsequent queries, add them to this thread and all replies will appear here.

Great work, Andy. I won't answer threads that litter like fast food wrappers on the lawn.
    The paper capacitors in a 50's 60's organ are known to drift off value, with the tuning to follow. With polyester replacements running up to $3.50 each, and polyprophylene $4.50, I would think it worthwhile to buy a DVM with a capacitance measurement test. These $50 meters are not suitable for checking electrolytic caps, however. Those are wet systems, non linear, and highly sensitive to temperature. If I'm going to keep something, I just replace ALL the electrolytic caps. Starting with the big ones in the power supply, which are the most likely candidates IMHO to hold down volume (with the lower B+ voltage at volume). After the B+ is up to standard,further volume restraint can be due to tired rectifier tubes, or tired power output tubes. See this thread about the cheap way to buy and install long life electrolytic caps: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/tubes...ube-amp-3.html
    So after the power supply was okay, I would measure every paper cap, especially those in the tone generators with funny sounds or way off pitch. Then I would replace the ones out of tolerance.
    I wouldn't worry a lot about transformers. Winding your own on toroid ferrite cores is not hard, but too time consuming for professional repairmen to make money repairing an an organ of this value ($0).
    Last edited by indianajo; 10-19-2013 at 10:56 PM.
    city Hammond H-182 organ (2 ea),A100,10-82 TC,Steinway 40" console piano, Sohmer 39" piano, Ensoniq EPS, Wurlitzer 4500, Dynakit ST120, ST70 amps, Herald Ra88 Mixer, Peavey SP2XT speakers,BIC turntable; country Hammond H112.