Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wurlitzer 4573 connectivity to a Leslie 122 (or any model)

Wurlitzer 4573 connectivity to a Leslie 122 (or any model)

My goal is to surprise my grandmother with a Leslie speaker connected to her Wurlitzer 4573. She, has always wanted a Leslie speaker in lieu of her Spectratone speaker, which she considers inferior.

I am having trouble finding even very little information on connecting a Wurlitzer 4573 to any Leslie.

What considerations must I make or is this 4573/122 marriage even possible? Is this even desirable?

I am not sure where to start from what balanced/unbalanced audio considerations there are to what types of voices are even possible to segregate to even consider outputting to the 122. Or, what Leslie speaker models would work best with this in a way that might offer very pleasing results?

Any direction or help is welcomed (or scolding if I've placed this in the wrong forum, as this is my first post to OrganForum.com )

Thank you kindly in advance,
    Cheers,

--Andy

Forget the 122. That's intended for certain Hammond models only with a balanced audio input.

If you want a single channel, twin rotor valve/tube leslie, then the 145 is the one to go for. A standard 26-1 connector kit such as the 7279 will allow you to connect the leslie to the organ's Spectratone channel. This will leave the non Spectratone voices, such as the rhythms, pedals and Orbit synthesizer, in the organ console. You don't need the extra height of the 147 cabinet as it will not be handling any bass. Of course, the 145's twin rotor tremolo isn't quite the 'theatrical' tremulant that some would say the organ needs, and they perhaps have a bit of a point in that. A less expensive option would be a 125 single rotor leslie, or even a 120 or 110. These two have no amplification of their own, but you don't necessarily want that, as you need to keep the balance between rotary and non-rotary channels. All of these would use the same connector kit as the 145.

If you want a multi-channel leslie that would handle both rotary and non-rotary channels, then you're looking at the solid state models (nothing wrong with that!) like the 700 (single rotor), 710 and 715 (both twin rotor). You'd need to cobble together a connector kit for these, but it's not really rocket science and has been discussed on here many times. These cabinets have some real oomph to them, something that you may or may not need.

Andy G
    It's not what you play. It's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

New website now live - www.andrew-gilbert.com

Current organ: Kawai SR6 + Leslie 760 Walnut, plus Kawai K1m synth module loaded with my custom sounds.
    Retired Organs: Lots! Hammond T402, T500 x 2, X5. Conn Martinique and 652. Gulbransen 2102 Pacemaker. Kimball something-or-other.
    Retired Leslies, 147, 145, 760, 710, 415 x 2.

By all means get her the Leslie with a rotosonic drum as opposed to the stationary speaker over the drum. The Leslie 705 that I have hooked up to my 4500 and Wurlitzer 625t sounds better than a typical Low rotor & high horn combination. There is something about a Wurlitzer's tibia ( flute) voicing that seems to be able to forgo to need of a high rotor. This is why they very methodically designed the Spectratone. It just works right with a Wurlitzer. Interestingly, it works just as great on the Wurlitzer electrostatic reed organs.

If you get a Leslie 102 and 103 these are what is called the multi-rank system. It has a rotosonic Leslie, Space generator, multi-channel

The Leslie 101 is also set up similarly

Ideally the Leslie 705 would be the cabinet to have ( Leslie 700 is same cabinet with a cross on the front for church appearance)-
    CHANNEL 1 -a 15" speaker for lows, crossed over with two 6x9's ( once facing out each side) all on one 55 watt channel.
    CHANNEL 2 - The Rotosonic drum with a 6x9" has it's own 35 watt amp.
    The Rotosonic is a two speed Leslie
    Another nice feature is the EQ switch located on the back. You can also fine tune the volume at the cabinet with the two adjustment screws ( for two channels) for the input level adjustment.

See video below to hear a Wurlitzer 4500 series ( 4520) through a pair of Leslie 145 ( 147?)
    <iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/DNKox9GGMwg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The Leslie 710 will the essentially the same cabinet with a high rotor. You get the benefit of a multi channel Leslie with a horn, Bass speaker, rotosonic, and two 6x9" speakers. And it's way cheaper than a 122,147, and the rest of the high priced tube amp Leslies.

If you get a Leslie cabinet specifically made for Wurlitzer you still might have to adapt it to work if the cabinets were single channel. You might be okay with just a single channel Leslie if she uses it for Tibia only. The 4573 will sound great for it's other 'non tibia' voices, but why not just get a two channel Leslie. Believe it or not it is cheaper for a two channel vintage 70's Leslie than it is for a single channel Leslie with a horn and low rotor if you get solid state and especially if you get the rotosonic instead of a horn.

If you are near Ohio I know where you can get a Leslie 102 & 103 for $1,000 even, maybe less. They are in like new condition.

PM me if interested.
    BIG SCORE 5/9/14! FOUND $80 WURLITZER BRASS HORN IN CASE WITH STAND,LONG & SHORT BELL
    Wurlitzer '46' Model 31 Orgatron & 310 rotary cab, 56' 4410 , 65' 4300
    Hammond '55' S6 Chord Organ,HR-40,ER-20, Altec A-7(SOLD but missed). '6?-7?' X66 & 12-77 tone cabinet & L112 spinet [latest addition to my collection]...my RT2,Elegante,Leslie 31H sold
    Gulbransen 61' 1132 '76' Rialto II & Leslie 705 + two 540
    Conn'68' 543 Minuet '57' 406 Caprice '59' 815 Classic (the 29th 815)

102/103? I wouldn't recommend that combo at all. It was specifically designed for the Gulbransen Rialto and also later worked on some of the Lowrey H25 series organs, but that's all. I think you'd be into some serious modding to get them to work well, if at all, and it would be a waste of the cabinets' capabilities.

Paul's right about the prices of the 2-channel cabinets but not about the 700. There's no cross on the front and it was not specifically designed for church use. I've used quite a few of them!

The 700 and 710 are 9-pin, and because the AC goes down the leslie cable, they're a bit trickier to wire up. The later 705, 715, 415 (8" shorter and a bit weedier), and 720 (no Rotosonic, but the standard Leslie baffle rotor) have their own mains AC leads, so the hookup in the organ is easier and safer to do. The Rotosonic gives a very satisfying theatrical throb of a tremolo, but some people find it a bit too deep. You also need to make sure that you don't block off the sides of a Rotosonic cabinet with furniture etc. These cabs need room for that sound to come out on all sides, or that throb gets even more pronounced.

To be honest, I'd stick with what I suggested, if you don't need extra volume, a small leslie like the 110 or 125 would do very nicely and cheaply, adding a larger diameter speaker (12") and the leslie effect just to the rotary/tibia channel and also having the bonus of allowing you to separate main and leslie sounds within the room (though you don't want the leslie too far from the organ).
    It's not what you play. It's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

Current organ: Kawai SR6 + Leslie 760 Walnut, plus Kawai K1m synth module loaded with my custom sounds.
    Retired Organs: Lots! Hammond T402, T500 x 2, X5. Conn Martinique and 652. Gulbransen 2102 Pacemaker. Kimball something-or-other.

Sorry, it's the 705C that has the cross, not the 700. My 705 has no cross, I know what a 710 is, so I was thinking the 700 had the cross. Wrong

So the 102 & 103 wouldn't work well a Wurlitzer? Seems like they'd sound good, but I understand the difficulty in hooking them up anyway.

Personally I much prefer the Spectratone over a Rotosonic. Seems like the Rotosonic works good on the Hammond LSI, Gulbransen LSI, and Wurlitzer LSI organs, but for transistor divider organs the Spectratone is ideal for Wurlitzer, from my experience. Same is true for the Wurlitzer electrostatic organs, and as of last night I discovered that the Leslie drum under a stationary 12" sounds better than the Rotosonic in my Leslie 705. As Andy mentioned, it's a little too deep and you also don't get the benefit of putting a supplemental stationary horn driver over that same drum ( a mod of course, Leslie never did this, but it does work well). Another mod I did to the Spectratone was to place a simple tweeter that I took out of a Pioneer 5" Coaxial car speaker. The tweeter had a capacitor on it already and the magnet was strong enough that it was as simple as 'sticking' it to the center rotating Spectratone shaft near the center ( BE SURE TO PUT NEAR CENTER FOR SAFETY REASONS!), and wiring it to the existing wires going to the 4" rotary speakers. The high's really speak out and at a faster rpm. Not so much the 16', 8', and 4', but the 2' does, and this is what I was after.
    BIG SCORE 5/9/14! FOUND $80 WURLITZER BRASS HORN IN CASE WITH STAND,LONG & SHORT BELL
    Wurlitzer '46' Model 31 Orgatron & 310 rotary cab, 56' 4410 , 65' 4300
    Hammond '55' S6 Chord Organ,HR-40,ER-20, Altec A-7(SOLD but missed). '6?-7?' X66 & 12-77 tone cabinet & L112 spinet [latest addition to my collection]...my RT2,Elegante,Leslie 31H sold
    Gulbransen 61' 1132 '76' Rialto II & Leslie 705 + two 540
    Conn'68' 543 Minuet '57' 406 Caprice '59' 815 Classic (the 29th 815)

Thanks for the information everybody. I managed to pick up a Leslie 600 for a decent price .... It was paired with a Wurlitzer 805 (the owner wanted rid of the speaker, but not the organ), so I was able to recover the Leslie connector kit from it which will work VERY WELL in the 4573!! I love it when things work out this well.

andyg: your threads from years past provided me with much encouragement to broaden my search to the 600 model. I'm certainly glad I did!

Looks like it will indeed be a Merry Christmas for my grandmother this year .. she'll get the Leslie speaker she's always wanted ...

That's good news. There's a strong family link between the 4573 and the Centura Wurlitzers like the 805, and the 600 is a Leslie speaker that, while not a mainstream model, is eminently suited to the role. And you've got the kit to do the job properly. Good find!

I was able to surprise my grandmother with her new Leslie 600 speaker which, gave her "the sound I wanted when I first bought the organ in 1976.". Now she's got a bunch of friends from her church choir who want to play the organ, one of which wants to toy with it with his band ... Her social life was not at all lacking, but Leslie has enhanced it considerably. So much so that she's even neglected her housework for hours spent at the organ reclaiming songs she'd long given up on.

I purchased a manual for the Wurlitzer 4573, but the manual had missing schematic sections for the amp and preamp, which is what I believe I'm expected to connect the organ to... That said, I was able to connect the Tibia channel to the rotary channels using the connector on the Leslie kit I acquired with the speaker, but I am unsure of where the string/reed channel is sent from the organ (I don't recall how the organ I removed the kit from was connected to it0...

Does anybody have a scan of the amp/preamp schematics or any other advice?

Advorak, I would contact whomever you bought that manual from and insist that the rest of the manual be supplied.

According to my Leslie Dial-A-Kit the correct Leslie connection kit is the 7673. I no longer have that instruction sheet, or I would supply you with a PDF. Check on line for that kit and let us know how the project progresses.

It is great to hear of the joy you have brought to your granny and her friends! GOOD JOB!!!

. . . Jan
    the OrganGrinder

Quote Originally Posted by advorak View Post
    Her social life was not at all lacking, but Leslie has enhanced it considerably.
    So someone's social life was enhanced by a piece of organ equipment. Does everyone realize how rare this is? It harkens back to the LP covers showing a crowd of admiring, happy people crowded around something like a Hammond chord organ. I have not personally experienced this to date but I am now encouraged to keep playing the organ for my friends, despite their requests that I please stop.
    Roland Atelier AT-90s, AT-80s, AT-70, AT-60r, AT-30, and AT-15. Roland VR-760 organ/synth/piano
    Yamaha S-90, PSR-3000, , Kurzweil PC-3x, Casio Privia PX-330
    Moved on:
    Allen 3MT/Hauptwerk, Technics GA1, Yamaha HX1 and AR80, numerous Hammonds, including 2 M's, an L, 2 A-100's, XP-2, XM-1/1c, & an XK-3. Roland Atelier AT-30, AT-20r(2 units), and a slew of Leslies (147, 142, 760, 900, 330).
    Korg Triton Le-61, Casio Privia PX-310 & 110, and Kurzweils: PC-2x, SP-88, Pro-III, K1000