Thread: hammond organ 125 jm4 help with pedal and sound problems

hammond organ 125 jm4 help with pedal and sound problems

i have this hammond 125 jm4 and the volume pedal is stuck on low sound even when you push it all the way forward it is still quite. i have taken the box which covers the volume pedal off at the back and i cant spot any problems. the brite foot bass pedals don't work at all and i have also looked around in the back and there seems to be nothing wrong.
    i hope you can help
    thanks Michael

First, this entire era of Hammonds was plagued with internal connector problems, though yours is a Japanese model and may be better than some US-built organs. So open up, unplug, clean and reconnect every internal connector you can find, one at a time. Then see what you have.

To play the pedals manually, make sure that none of the autochord/autobass buttons are turned on, as these will almost certainly disable the pedals. As for the volume pedal, chances are that it's either the bulb or the photocell receiver that's blown, so check both.

Usual caveats apply. Be careful inside. Though most of the electronics will be running on 12v or so, there are higher voltages present in the power supply and leslie units. And don't spend much money on fixing it as it just isn't worth it. You can get a working one of these for free or almost nothing. If it has real issues, cut your losses, dump it and get another - perhaps after having removed the leslie unit.

PS, just noticed you're in Oz. Prices can be funny over in Godzone, and finding a 'replacement' maybe not so easy.
    It's not what you play. It's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

New website now live - www.andrew-gilbert.com

Current organ: Kawai SR6 + Leslie 760 Walnut
    Retired Organs: Lots! Including Hammond T402, T500 x 2, X5. Conn Martinique and 652. Gulbransen 2012 Pacemaker. Kimball something-or-other.
    Retired Leslies, 147, 145, 760, 710, 415 x 2.

Quote Originally Posted by andyg View Post

To play the pedals manually, make sure that none of the autochord/autobass buttons are turned on, as these will almost certainly disable the pedals. As for the volume pedal, chances are that it's either the bulb or the photocell receiver that's blown, so check both.

=
    PS, just noticed you're in Oz. Prices can be funny over in Godzone, and finding a 'replacement' maybe not so easy.
    thanks andyg i think the auto chord/ auto bass switches also dont work.

OK, time to open them up too and give them a squirt of Caig De-Oxit.
    It's not what you play. It's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

Retired Organs: Lots! Including Hammond T402, T500 x 2, X5. Conn Martinique and 652. Gulbransen 2012 Pacemaker. Kimball something-or-other.

Quote Originally Posted by andyg View Post
    OK, time to open them up too and give them a squirt of Caig De-Oxit.
    i have seen these 125 romance organs with the keyboards tilted up, so i guess thats how you get under there. on mine i have noticed it has hinges for the keyboards and i have undone the screws which hold them shut but it still wont tilt. i think there are more screws underneath. is Craig DeOxit the same as SRC or WD-40.

No, Deoxit is a contact cleaner
    Hammond 340212 Elegante

thanks for your help everyone. i found a small broken wire coming from the volume pedal and when that was re-connected the volume is now working perfectly. I have also got the foot pedals working and i have noticed lights coming up when you press certain keys telling you what bass pedal to press. is there a switch to trigger these lights because they have stopped working again. there are still some sound voices and effects not working but apart from that it all works. how do you think i could get some of the other effects working??? help, i did buy a spray similar to deoxit and i sprayed everything in the back and i can tell it has help because some effects started working that didn't before.

If you sprayed everything, did you do what I said and unplug all the connectors to clean them?

The feature that lights up the 'correct' pedal notes is Brite Foot. There will be a switch for it somewhere.

i didn't get around to unplugging everything but i will next time i am mucking around in the back.

Quote Originally Posted by soillam View Post
    ...I have also got the foot pedals working ...
    How did you get your pedals to work?
    I bought a Hammond like this and the pedals stopped working a few days later!! No sound. Checked the wires I can see. Cleaned the contacts on the connectors. Any ideas.

Much appreciated.

Stephen www.abcstudios.co.nz www.youtube.com/galvinstephe