Thread: Will an MDR-3 work for a Yamaha EL-90?

Will an MDR-3 work for a Yamaha EL-90?

Well my Internal MDR on my EL-90 is failing, as it stops responding and shuts down after about three minutes after power up.
    I'm looking at buying a new MDR, but however, I'm not really interested in paying a lot of money for an MDR-5.
    I've come across some MDR-3's and I am wondering whether they'll work for my EL90.
    I believe they are external too; they have MIDI ports and a DC port. Will I have to install it into the Yam, or will I just need to plug it into it?
    Thank you.

It'll work insofar as you'll be able to save and recall registrations correctly BUT an MDR3 will only read double density disks, not High Density (HD). Most EL90 disks would be HD, so the MDR3 would not recognise them. Yamaha made the MDR4 for that - try to find one of those.

After reading this post, I would love to find an MDR4. Does anyone know the best place to look for used ones being sold? My MDR has gone bad on my EL-90 as well. I think it is the recorder (or the power supply) to the recorder. The disk drive is still spinning, but nothing lights up on the MDR. I would love to find a solution, I just bought this EL-90 used, LOVE It! But would love to be able to use the MDR especially for registrations.

Have you spoken to Yamaha about this? Here in the UK their technical section is very helpful and will happily answer calls from the public. I can't speak for the USA or elsewhere. It may still be be possible to get a replacement drive. There have been a few posts about EL90 drives going down on various forums recently, sounds like they're getting to the end of their working lives.
    It's not what you play. It's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

New website now live - www.andrew-gilbert.com

Current organ: Kawai SR6 + Leslie 760 Walnut, plus Kawai K1m synth module loaded with my custom sounds.
    Retired Organs: Lots! Hammond T402, T500 x 2, X5. Conn Martinique and 652. Gulbransen 2102 Pacemaker. Kimball something-or-other.
    Retired Leslies, 147, 145, 760, 710, 415 x 2.

There are replacement drives for the EL range advertised on e.bay for 28 which is far cheaper than you can buy an external drive for. It also keeps the organ as standard and more convenient to use.

Thanks merlinhx. I'm not sure it is just the disc drive. The disc drive runs, but the MDR recorder doesn't light up at all. I'm nervous about purchasing a replacement disk drive when I think it may be the MDR. If anybody has any wisdom about this my ears are open!

Thanks andyg. I will try and contact Yamaha. I don't think Yamaha in the United States will help. I suppose I can try them in the UK. Do you know the best way to reach them? I would like to email as it could be expensive to do international calling.

Thanks!

Drop them an email. I don't know what their policy is re handling non-UK requests. Some companies will simply forward such emails to their counterparts in the country of origin, not wanting to read on their colleagues' toes, so to speak. Worth a try though!
    It's not what you play. It's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

New website now live - www.andrew-gilbert.com

Current organ: Kawai SR6 + Leslie 760 Walnut, plus Kawai K1m synth module loaded with my custom sounds.
    Retired Organs: Lots! Hammond T402, T500 x 2, X5. Conn Martinique and 652. Gulbransen 2102 Pacemaker. Kimball something-or-other.
    Retired Leslies, 147, 145, 760, 710, 415 x 2.

To just check the disc issue out, put black electrical tape over the hole on bottom of disc. This will make the drive think that it is a low density drive. You can format the high density disc to a low and use it. Have done this many times. Good luck with your project.