Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: hammond G-100

hammond G-100

Now then, all of you Hammond owner people, also you other organists, Did you or did you
    not every hear of the Hammond model G-100? Of all the Hammonds discussed on the forum
    i have not heard of anyone owning, playing, or discussing the Hammond G-100.
    The Hammond G-100 was at that time the only true classic or liturgical organ built by hammond. It had No Drawbars, It had all the standard couplers, along with Swell & Great
    division expression shoes, PLUS the crecendo.
    It also had the manual pistons, and toe pistons. I at one time could have purchased one
    from the dealer that ironically i purchased my digital from.
    It was in his warehouse and of coarse not playable at the time. I understand that there
    were very few built by Hammond, and that they were a Flop!
    I often wondered why? I have never heard one played, But i am pretty certain that they
    did not sound like the triditional Hammond.
    They had to have the traditional classic organ sound, though i am not certain as to their
    stop specifications. Reeds? Mixtures ? Strings? i am not sure.
    They should have stayed with that model, and perhaps today they would have been in
    line with Allen, Rodgers, etc.
    I would like to hear one being played, or better yet, to play one myself, it would really
    prove to be interesting. I would be willing to bet that somewhere that there is a church
    that has one being played every Sunday, Anyone know of a church that has one?

DIAPASON

Re: hammond G-100

The G100 was a remarkable instrument for a Hammond. Do a little hunting around the net and you'll find plenty of info and the full history. (include Hammond Grand 100 in your searches) It had, as you say, no drawbars but traditional stops. Trouble is, the normal TWG in a Hammond doesn't have sufficient harmonics to make accurate reeds, strings etc, so they added a second generator. Also had extra tremulants - 5 scanners (recipe for mechanical problems, maybe?) A flop? Financially, yes, as it was far too expensive to produce and only stayed in production for two years. Musically? The only one I ever played sounded good enough to me, but that was in the mid 70's and expectations were lower then! (No, it didn't sound like a B3!) As an instrument? It was big, very heavy and probably outdated by the time it was launched, with newer technologies just around the corner.

Hammond could never have made the G100 stick. They sensibly left church organs to others.

I wouldn't have bought one, I shudder at the thought of the maintenance costs! Will you ever find one being played? Who knows, but I somehow doubt it!

Best of luck with the search! Let us know what you find!

Andy G
    It's not what you play. It's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

New website now live - www.andrew-gilbert.com

Current organ: Kawai SR6 + Leslie 760 Walnut, plus Kawai K1m synth module loaded with my custom sounds.
    Retired Organs: Lots! Hammond T402, T500 x 2, X5. Conn Martinique and 652. Gulbransen 2102 Pacemaker. Kimball something-or-other.
    Retired Leslies, 147, 145, 760, 710, 415 x 2.

do a search on the forum, there have been a few posts,...

I myself dont' have one yet (G100) but someday I'll get one, but not in a hurry...as AndyG has noted the technology appears to be so very daunting.

one thing that really scares me off on the G100 is the external amplifier cabinets... The G100 was not a home organ, so the space for everything is a issue.

I've never seen one in person, or played one, or heard one. If anyone has one in the midwest or the NYC area please contact me offline as I'd really be very interested in recording one for my nycfarmboy.com website.

I've seen photos of the amplication cabinets, it appears to have racks of amplifiers which appear to be proprietary only to this model, thus I would guess it would be imperitive that if you want one for your own home that you find one in working order that is all hooked up so you can see how it connects... at least in my own opinion.

That is what has scared me away from buying one, I've seen a few on ebay, but in both instances they were not hooked up... I don't believe they ever sold, there was one on ebay with a beginning bid of 500 dollars in florida but it never sold.

That said, I do know of one organist who does have one (up in Montreal) in his home. He really enjoys it and says the tones are quite nice and appropriate for classical organ literature.

Yes sir Andy, i found the Hammond G-100 on a Hammond organ site. Yep! i have to hand
    it to you my friend, you know more about that Hammond then i thought i did.
    In production from 1963 to 1965, 2 years as you said. AND ALSO, as you said, it was a most
    complex instrument. It had a huge external double wide rack power supply, plus large tone
    cabinets among other complex things. But you know what? The console itself was not any
    larger then some of todays consoles. Maybe smaller then some. If it was like some of the
    other Hammonds as far as weight is concerned, THEN it had to be a very HEFTY BRUTE!
    Another thing, it had its share of drive motors an belts. Like you said, if anyone was to own
    one today, it would be a costly instrument to maintain. Todays Hammonds and digitals are
    by far out of that catagory when it comes to service and maintainance. I beleive now i can
    see why Hammond discontinued the G-100 as it wasn't very practical.

DIAPASON

HI NYCFarmboy, i am happy that we found another person to discuss the G-100 with.
    You know what? I beleive that if i had your technical know how i would'nt hesitate to own
    a G-100.
    What's more complex then setting up a Pipe Organ in your home. It is'nt a matter of just
    a few cables and connections and plugs here and there, no i beleive to set up a pipe organ
    is really a feat to achive. Me, i wouldn,t tackle that project if i never had a pipe organ,
    AND i am a Pipe Organ man, nothing like the real thing!
    I play, BUT, i am not at all technically knowledgeable, something goes on the fritz with my
    digital organ, CALL THE TECH!

DIAPASON

The G-100 was always a dream of mine to own. I diid have an RT-3, though.

I had the G-100 demo record (I may still have it, but I don't know where it is). Some of the demos were quite musical as I recall. But I was able to hear (this would have been the late 1960s) the one big problem with the sound of the G-100. (I could hear it, but at the time I had no idea what it was.) It had to do with scale. Since Hammond people must not have know anything about scale in pipe organs, they made stops the same way all the other TWG Hammonds make stops. They synthesized a stop and kept the harmonic makeup throughout the whole stop. Most of us know that the harmonics of a given stop change from the bass, through the mid range, and to the top notes. The mix is very different from the bottom to the top. The G-100 didn't do this as I understand it.

The G-100 was truly a remarkable device (as was/is every TWG organ) for its time. Given a little bit of the technology that came in the 80s, it could have been a contender. I never heard if they were able to deal with those miserable key clicks in the G-100. That would have been a real spoiler.

You can see a picture of a Hammond G(rand) 100 console and auxiliary cabinet at
    www.theatreorgans.com/hammond/g100_1.gif

When I first viewed the site today I thought it was the one I now have because some of the cabinet scratches are very similar to those on mine; however, we've determined it is not mine.

The G 100 used a Klann console, as did some Baldwins and Conns.
    Unfortunately, Klann consoles from the 1960's were troubleprone.

The amps were Dynacos. The last G 100 on e-bay was for sale minus the amplifiers; they would be worth something.

I still have the brochure for the G 100 if anyone needs information.

[quote user="fuguebwv582"]The G-100 was always a dream of mine to own. I diid have an RT-3, though.

I had the G-100 demo record (I may still have it, but I don't know where it is). .[/quote]</P>

</P>

I would love to hear the demo of the G-100 if you ever find it.</P>

Bill</P>

I would love to hear it as well. Strange how there is so little on this model.
    ~1936 Hammond AV - Leslie 122 & PR40~ ~1954 Wurlitzer ElectroStatic 4602 - Leslie 125~