Thread: Moving my Hammond B3 to my new apartment!

Moving my Hammond B3 to my new apartment!

Hey Buddies!

I'm moving to a new apartment and I'll transport my Hammond B3. Any tips???

I'm worried about the oil. Should I remove it from the "cans" / "reservoir"?

Consider that maybe I'll need to put it standing with one side faced to the ground and the other side faced to the ceiling, as the stairs and elevator ain't that large. Is it ok?

Thank you for your support, hammond friends!

Yes, I'm a newbie here!

well I'm sure you already know to lock down the generator,I've never removed oil from a hammond,I guess you'd have to peel back the tin cover a bit at the end of the oil trough and suck it out with somthing,prop the organ up a bit on one side so all the oil runs to one spot and get as much of it as you can if your going to actually take the oil out,unless your organ has been over oiled I would not worry about it,you may have some spill out but it won't hurt anything,I'd worry more about beating up the cabinet if your moving it up steps in a tight space,I guess the best thing to have is lots a muscle,good luck on your move!

Lock the generator, use some old blankets to protect the cabinet, and stuff a rag in the end that will be towards the floor to absorb any oil. Unless there is far too much oil in there, you should not have much excess. You will be fine, just remember to remove the rag and dispose of it properly. Oily rags can catch fire by themselves so be careful.

Rehearse the sideways Hammond act in a place you have enough space to move around and see if you start to get too much oil, that way you can just change the rag and repeat until you don't have dripping. Your new neighbors will appreciate not having oil in the elevator and it will keep your case nicer too.

Best wishes on your new apartment.
    Hammonds: '52 S, '56 S-6, '61 M-3 (w/'56 JR-20), '66 E-182, '67 M-102, '69 H-112 ; '61 Gulbransen H-1, '61 Mercedes 220B, '83 Bridgestone MB-3, Various cheap guitars, homebrew amps, DSPs, FPGAs, and the magic smoke that makes them run, but no LSI TOGs (yet)

those are funnels, not reservoirs, many Hammonds move on their ends and sides, follow the rag advice below
    1956 M3, (2)51 Leslie under upgrade, 860 (130 powered)Leslie with Preamp, S08 Yamaha and two K2000S, Young Chang spinet, Roland VR700 clone and Korg SV-1 73
    Looking for that mythical cheap or free A, BV, CV, C2, C3 or A100 but wouldn't say no to a free B3

Thank you very much for you all!

I'm really happy with this hammond forum experience. I feel like you were my friends since a long time.

When I finish the moving process I'll invite you all to the inauguration party to make some music (and play some snooker as I'll have a pool table in the living room).

Geez, a B3 and a snooker table. That must be a BIG apartment!

And most importantly try to borrow a Roll or Kari (if you don't have one already)
    I've moved Hammond's up and down many apartment stairs and it's a massive change
    due to the dolly handles and overall grip. You also need 4 people total. I would try to keep
    from tipping it but other then oil leakage shouldn't do too much damage as a properly oiled hammond really shouldn't have more then a wet wick.

Doug

Quote Originally Posted by Luciano Lećes View Post
    Hey Buddies!

I'm moving to a new apartment and I'll transport my Hammond B3. Any tips???

I'm worried about the oil. Should I remove it from the "cans" / "reservoir"?

Consider that maybe I'll need to put it standing with one side faced to the ground and the other side faced to the ceiling, as the stairs and elevator ain't that large. Is it ok?

Thank you for your support, hammond friends!

Yes, I'm a newbie here!
    1960 Hammond A100 - Leslie 251 converted to 122
    custom Leslie 825/Motion Sound Pro 3t
    1951 Hammond B2 (to B3 with TrekII pre-amp)
    M3 - Leslie 825 with 15" speaker

When I had to tip my CV on its side for a move I first removed the console's back, cover & fallboard, and music rack. It got the music rack out of the way and opened up many more places to grasp the console. My helpers were friends, not professional movers.

Perhaps somebody with more expertise on B cabinets can attest to whether the B cabinet is strong enough to be tipped with its back removed.
    I know it's been a good practice session when I pause for a quick break, return and the room has a faint odor of Hammond oil in the air that only occurs when the console has been running for hours & hours.

1940 Hammond model D organ with 1970 Leslie #122 speaker.
    1942 Hammond model BC organ with 1958 Leslie #45 speaker with 122 amplifier and two speed motors.
    1994 Allen MDS-3 theatre organ

I'm already in my new apartment and I want to thank you, guys! If you want I can put a pic here. Now I have my hammond, wurly and wurlitzer piano in the same place. I'm a happy musician now!

Congratulations.

Pictures of Hammonds and Wurlis are always great.
    Hammonds: '52 S, '56 S-6, '61 M-3 (w/'56 JR-20), '66 E-182, '67 M-102, '69 H-112 ; '61 Gulbransen H-1, '61 Mercedes 220B, '83 Bridgestone MB-3, Various cheap guitars, homebrew amps, DSPs, FPGAs, and the magic smoke that makes them run, but no LSI TOGs (yet)