Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Vintage organ brand seeking..

Vintage organ brand seeking..

Hi,

20 years ago I salvaged a vintage not-working
    organ that had dozens of oscillator tubes
    inside its belly and 2 beautiful "waterfall type" ivory keys keyboards.
    This was a 1950-60's organ. Maybe early 70's (??)
    The body was made of solid walnut, had the size of a Hammond L100 serie
    with only one row of "rocker type" tabs on top of the upper keyboard.
    This row had the following tabs:
    SWELL tabs (around 15), MANUAL tabs (around 5), PEDAL tabs
    and on each side of this row there were illuminated wheels (like synth modulation wheels)
    called POWER, TREMULANT, MANUAL SUSTAIN, etc..
    In the recent years I used one of the keyboard for a MIDI master keyboard project.
    The remaining keyboard is is still not used.
    The problem I have now is I cannot remember the brand and model
    of the organ...($%&?) because I'm trying to find another
    somewhere to use some of its parts.
    The only brand I had kept in mind of that organ was
    GE (General Electric) or American Rockwell
    but not sure...

Could anybocy help me on that with some pictures
    and brands that look familiar ?
    Maybe an old 'Organ gallery book' of the 50-60's could help me..

Thanks
    J-Pierre

Download the 'Blue Book' - http://archive.org/details/OrganBlueBook-1985-1986

It's not aimed at classical instruments, more at home models, but there may be something familiar in it that you recognise.
    It's not what you play. It's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

New website now live - www.andrew-gilbert.com

Current organ: Kawai SR6 + Leslie 760 Walnut
    Retired Organs: Lots! Including Hammond T402, T500 x 2, X5. Conn Martinique and 652. Gulbransen 2012 Pacemaker. Kimball something-or-other.
    Retired Leslies, 147, 145, 760, 710, 415 x 2.

Re: Vintage organ brand seeking..

Quote Originally Posted by andyg View Post
    Download the 'Blue Book' - http://archive.org/details/OrganBlueBook-1985-1986

It's not aimed at classical instruments, more at home models, but there may be something familiar in it that you recognise.
    I browsed all the Organ Blue books on the related web site without success so far.
    No organs that would be 'close' to the one I'm seeking.
    But one thing could light up some memories from readers..
    Do you remember some HOME organ manufacturers of the 50-60's that
    had organ models with 2 aligned 61 ivory keys keyboards 'waterfall type'
    like Hammond organ used ?
    This detail would narrow in some models..

jp, have you closely inspected those many oscillator tubes? Sometimes, an organ manufacturer would have them "branded" by the tube manufacturer.

Pictures of your mystery organ would help, too.

. . . Jan
    the OrganGrinder

Quote Originally Posted by Jan Girardot View Post
    jp, have you closely inspected those many oscillator tubes? Sometimes, an organ manufacturer would have them "branded" by the tube manufacturer.

Pictures of your mystery organ would help, too.

. . . Jan
    the OrganGrinder
    Hi Jan,
    Thanks for posting.
    Unfortunately the organ has been dismanteled years ago and
    nothing remains but the 2 keyboards, one black metal plate
    that supported one of the keyboard with its transparent illuminated wheels
    at each side and some wooden sides I used for a MIDI pedal board (walnut).
    I could post some pictures of the actual illuminated wheels
    on each sides of the keyboard black metal plate for details..

I think pix of the wheels and the keys might help, for this is a mystery - and we love them!
    It's not what you play. It's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

Retired Organs: Lots! Including Hammond T402, T500 x 2, X5. Conn Martinique and 652. Gulbransen 2012 Pacemaker. Kimball something-or-other.

Your statement referring to recalling "American Rockwell" makes me think of Allen organs right off. That is after all the Co that they partnered with, to develop and get to market the first digital organ. But, those were obviously not tube organs.

In the 60s and 70s Allen had a subsidiary Co called RMI ( Rocky Mountain Instruments ) that was primarily for making combo organs and other assorted models that did not fit in with the church / classical models that were branded Allen. Some of the technology from RMI was incorporated into some smaller Allen models, that were mainly meant for home use. That is where I think the "wheels" may have come from.

Older Allen consoles did in fact use waterfall keys, but I really don't know ( and think not actually ) that Allen ever used real ivory keys. Nice feeling plastic though. I think they stopped using waterfall keyboards sometime in the 50s, at least on most models.

I think the organs you may need to look for are the Allen Carousel and Continental Carousel models to start with. And other Allen home models of that 50s / 60s / maybe 70s era.

As I'm not all that interested in those particular Allen models, I don't think I have any photos of them on my computer to post here. I would think a Google image search will turn up some decent pictures. Perhaps some one here has posted them in the Gallery section of this site as well ?
    Regards, Larry

At Home : Yamaha Electones : EX-42 ( X 2 ), E-5AR ( X 2 ), FX-1, FX-20, EL-25 ( chopped ). Allen organs : T-12B ( available cheap ), 301-B ( Sold to Shannon in da U.P. ), ADC-6000D. A bunch of other Synthesizers and Keyboards. At Churches I play for : Allen Q325 ( with VISTA ). Hammond A105. Baldwin 720T. Several various small and medium size pipe organs of many sorts and builders.

Carousels had standard organ type keys, not waterfall.

My early 60s Lowrey Lincolnwood (tubes and electronics long removed) has two full waterfall keyboards. They are plastic tops over wooden cores. But I have never seen an organ of that era with illuminated synth-like wheels. I'm curious about this too.

Well, I should be doing other things tonight, but I am reading The Organ Forum instead. I got to wondering about Allen and waterfall keyboards, so I did a quick Google image search and found a couple of photos that may help you some.

The first one is identified on the site the photo came from as a TC-1 Classic.

The second one I could not find a model # for.

They keyboards are not quite the same, although they are both waterfall style.

Hope this helps, but the wheel deal is not an Allen control that I ever recall seeing. Post up some photos; you have us all wondering !
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Regards, Larry

At Home : Yamaha Electones : EX-42 ( X 2 ), E-5AR ( X 2 ), FX-1, FX-20, EL-25 ( chopped ). Allen organs : T-12B ( available cheap ), 301-B ( Sold to Shannon in da U.P. ), ADC-6000D. A bunch of other Synthesizers and Keyboards. At Churches I play for : Allen Q325 ( with VISTA ). Hammond A105. Baldwin 720T. Several various small and medium size pipe organs of many sorts and builders.