Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1/4 output for a Hammond M3? "HELP"

1/4 output for a Hammond M3? "HELP"

Hi all, I have done some research and am still unclear as to the best way to install the 1/4 output for my M3
    Every thing else that has been advised to me from this forum has been spot on, so i don't want to just trust the web research with this! I see the RCA input to output mod on Wiki and that looks easy but is it the best way? Does it work? I also feel that RCA input might come in handy at some point so why mess with it! I've looked at all the Tap off boxes from speakeasy and trek but I'm old school and I just can't see dropping another $100 unless it's absolutely a must...I also see making your own line out box (also Wiki) which appeals to me cause I'm hands on but I don't see a wuffer (low end output) included in the schematic. So the ? Is this... Which way do I go? I'm good with the solder gun and proficient with schematic DWG's! If anyone has a nice line out box design I can use that includes the 1/4 output, 1/4 out for the low end, it would be just incredible if the 1/4 outputs could be wired to interupt normal signal path like a cut off or an either or situation... And it should contain a Vol. pot and reliable tap in points for a AO-29 PWR AMP I would truly be indebted! I know it sounds like a tall order! So unless anyone has any better or easier way to achieve this, I'm planning on makin a box! I guess I just answered my own ? Hears another one. "HELP"
    Also note my M3 does not have the field coil speaker it is already a factory PM...
    thanks again

M3me posted one a few months back, hand-drawn, that looked pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by Wes View Post
    M3me posted one a few months back, hand-drawn, that looked pretty good.
    Yep, I remember seeing that ..... in this thread I believe -
    http://www.organforum.com/forums/sho...-an-M102/page2
    I've got a fever..... and the only prescription is...... more Hammond organs

Hammond model A,S6,H (nova)
    Cabs A20, DXR20, PR40.
    Leslies 110,125,145, Sharma7000Jubilee
    Oddball..Bergman Klavitron

Sweet Pete

Got mine from TrekII.Haven't missed the $75...........would have taken me more time than the TrekII was worth.Having a 'low' out is nice to feed my bass amp,too.
    If I'm going to spend more than an hour building something,it better be worth it.The V21 Jensen I repaired last week took three hours,you can't buy them 'new' anymore.Most people give up and buy an Atlas.
    I prefer playing and rehearsing to tech work,any day.

yea I hear ya but, I looked at those! i've got this thing about how it all works and besides the tech work gives me a little break from all the playing...

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks Wes that one looks great....
    thanks M3me also for that....
    cool...

Quote Originally Posted by Sweet Pete View Post
    I prefer playing and rehearsing to tech work,any day.
    Amen, Pete Will the boxes from TrekII work for my M3 ?
    I've got a fever..... and the only prescription is...... more Hammond organs

My M3 came with a built in reverb with outboard speaker. The reverb amp was fed by a parallel line tapped off of the main speaker. I wanted to be able to feed the M3 to my 3300 Leslie but still have the built in speaker and reverb available. To accomplish this I created three parallel loops from the leads to the main speaker. Using 2 of these L-Pads:

http://www.surplussales.com/Potentio.../MiscPots.html

I sent one loop through the first L-Pad and connected it to the speaker. The second loop connects to the second L-Pad and then connects to the reverb amp's input. I mounted the L-pads on a metal plate that was used for something else at one time (on an M2 that I have) to the right of the lower manual. I was able to swap the wood plate from the M3 with the wood/metal one from the M2. On the third loop I installed a male 1/4" TS jack which I plug into a DI box with a 0/20/40dB pad selector switch. I use the 20dB option. I connect the output of the DI box to a small mixer which allows me to fine tune the tone a little and adjust the volume to the Leslie. I can blend as much or as little of the main speaker and reverb as I want with the Leslie. The M3 is a field coil type.

On the M2 I installed a 25W 8 Ohm resistor across the amplifier output connectors and added a line with a 1/4" male TS jack. I insert the jack into a DI box and mixer as above and then run the output of the mixer into the effects return jack of my XK-3c. I can play both instruments at the same time (I have the M2 at a 90 degree angle to the right of the '3c) and use the '3c's expression pedal and kick switch to control volume and Leslie speed.

I send the full range output of the 3300 to a Leslie 21System and a stationary amp to have a 2 Leslies plus tone cabinet sound.

Sweet Pete

I've got a TrekII OBL-2 on an M111; with a '68 147 and 'dry' 1/4" outs........to a powered wedge and bass amp.That stock unmodded organ sounds great through this amp system.Having the tones and
    frequencies arriving from different locations to my ears is what I want from a spinet,or console for that matter.I jam on that rig at a studio frequently.Have actually played it more than the A100 recently.

Sweet Pete

But if the TrekII output box is expensive,compared to a Radial JSX speaker DI a 'REDBOX',it's a bargain.The Radial,with a Jensen transformer is..........
    Still,the best tone cabinet sim I've ever used.I clip alligators on the far left 12" in an M100,the LO-Z output to a desk always gets the thumbs up from sound tech.
    Think of the TrekII as a Toyota,and the Radial as an Aston Martin.Of course if your desk is a Midas,your speakers Meyer,and your platform Mac.......you are ROCKING my friend.