Thread: Rodgers Trio 321 Theatre Organ - Digital Upgrade?

Rodgers Trio 321 Theatre Organ - Digital Upgrade?

Hello,

I've read that the Rodgers Trio 321 Theatre Organ and similar series at one point of time had the option of purchasing an after-market kit to add MIDI capability.
    Is there still something like this? What about for the pedals and stops?
    Also, I understand that the Rodgers Trio organs did not often have a AGO pedalboard -- any have thoughts on this? They look very close to AGO...

I've been looking for an instrument to replace my Conn 720 which is slowly going down hill (though still working quite well for its age). I want to make sure that I could upgrade to digital if I wanted to.
    My instruments:
    Home: A late 50's to early 60's Conn 720 (tube powered, of course)
    One reed organ; in pieces at the moment pending a helping hand to do some gluing.
    Two pianos (upright grand and a spinet) and an accordion (Hohner)
    Church:
    Hammond A-105 with Leslie speakers
    1979 Allen 123-C (MOS1) digital computer organ

The Trio 321 has a pedalboard that is about 3-4" shorter from left to right and a bit less concave than AGO specs. This is based on a comparison between the 321 in my living room and an Allen 603-D out in the garage. I've had a number of organists (I'm an amateur) play the 321 Trio and I don't recall any of them having trouble with the reduced size, but perhaps it would throw some folks off a bit.

Midi Boutique is a good source for MIDI kits as is Artisan right here in Washington state.

The 321 series is good for converting to a MIDI controller. Look into the Artisan Organ microMIDI system. it is simple and cost effective.
    This link http://organexpressions.com/pedal_board_comparisons.htm shows a comparison of three sizes of common pedal boards.

Hmm... I'm thinking this isn't quite the organ for me.
    The age is right, the quality of the instrument itself is great, but I'm not sure that at this point in my organ playing that it'd be great to get a non AGO-Pedalboard (Unless this can somehow be upgraded without botching the instrument), and also I finally found a bunch of pictures showing all the stops: I really think that perhaps this Rodgers organ may be better as a two manual instrument than three -- it really is very spaced out. Perhaps someone would disagree with this?

It even has the "Entertainment Center" built in with reverb and the ability to use headphones rather than the organ speakers, perfect for a future apartment... but, alas, I have time to keep looking -- the Conn 720 will continue its service awhile longer.

I also have organ consoles available to me from theater organs, but I'm not sure that the cost of an Artisan MIDI kit would be worthwhile since I'm not sure that I have the skills necessary to get that kind of project running. Could also be more physical console than I want to have -- much heavier.
    My instruments:
    Home: A late 50's to early 60's Conn 720 (tube powered, of course)
    One reed organ; in pieces at the moment pending a helping hand to do some gluing.
    Two pianos (upright grand and a spinet) and an accordion (Hohner)
    Church:
    Hammond A-105 with Leslie speakers
    1979 Allen 123-C (MOS1) digital computer organ