Thread: Add on(s) to eliminate complete sterile sound?

Add on(s) to eliminate complete sterile sound?

So on my newly acquired old school Rodgers 850, I finally have everything up and running voiced acoustically to its enviroment and guessed voiced per stops. However, since I come from a Hammond background with some theater (Conn), I'm not sure I like the pure sterile sound of most of the stops on this organ. Celestials are good for really lower volumes but medium volumes everything else is just to dry and sterile. Now, please don't throw rocks at me on this statement, but it almost would sound good (better) runiing the flutes through a Leslie, but only in slow chorale mode. Enough to take away that "pure sine wave" sound, as if it were coming right at you as a test tone. So has anybody successfully wired in any aftermarket device(s) to "throw" the soud around abit?
    Allen, Conn, Hammond, Rodgers

Hammon, you need to tune (or rather, de-tune) the organ! The 850 has a main and ensemble set of oscillators (in addition to celeste). You need to tune the ensemble a little off normal tuning to get a little chorus going when the flutes are played against the diapasons.

However, there is NOTHING wrong with using a Leslie in the chorus mode with this organ. I believe the tabs are built in to do this.

There is also an "activity" adjustment, and increasing this will give a random effect to the tuning, which might satisfy your desire for some motion. It's located on the Tremulant Generator board (Rack 1 position D).

If you don't have a digital reverb on the organ, I'd recommend adding one. The TC Electronic M350 is a pro-quality unit (meaning "CLEAN") and sells for around $170 street price. It also has effects. It adjusts with KNOBS, so you don't have to learn how to program it--you just set it the way you like.

Toodles.

An organ salesman told me about subbing on an electronic organ one Sunday in Atlanta that sounded absolutely pure and so boring that he used the celeste to give the sound a little movement.
    Allen T 12B

Do you have the air sound turned on?

Hamman,

I had a similar experience when I first purchased my Roland AT-90. I had been playing on a Yamaha 415 (a.k.a. D-85). The classical organ tones of the Roland seemed sterile compared to the Yamaha. I used the Celeste Symphonic Chorus and Chorale Leslie settings on the Yamaha. However, I quickly learned to love the sound of the Roland classical organ tones. I now prefer those to the Yamaha.

That being said, your Rodgers may be more sterile than my Roland is. Thus, it may take longer for you to become accustomed to the sound, or you may never get accustomed to it.

Later,
    Allen

Quote Originally Posted by Hamman View Post
    So on my newly acquired old school Rodgers 850, I finally have everything up and running voiced acoustically to its enviroment and guessed voiced per stops. However, since I come from a Hammond background with some theater (Conn), I'm not sure I like the pure sterile sound of most of the stops on this organ. Celestials are good for really lower volumes but medium volumes everything else is just to dry and sterile. Now, please don't throw rocks at me on this statement, but it almost would sound good (better) runiing the flutes through a Leslie, but only in slow chorale mode. Enough to take away that "pure sine wave" sound, as if it were coming right at you as a test tone. So has anybody successfully wired in any aftermarket device(s) to "throw" the soud around abit?
    Currently own: Roland Atelier AT-90, Yamaha 115D, Roland DP-90SE, Yamaha PSR-S910

I experience the same phenom with my home Allen in a really dry, acoustically dead, small room. I guess a large marble floored cathedral might solve the problem. ( Ain't gonna happen!!)
    I do use an Allen Expander II some of the time and I can detune it slightly giving a chorus effect. Incidently the Allen is MDS tech, 1990s so analogs are not the only organs to have this problem. A big room where sound gets to bounce around hither and yon sure helps but in my home situation I am going to add a Lexicon reverb with some additional amps and speakers. I have never found Allen reverb (ADR-4 in this unit) all that satisfying. I have not played the latest Quantum tech with "accoustic portrait" though, just ADC and MDS 1980-90s.

I agree that you should add reverb of some sort. That will help a great deal in a home setting ( does in most smaller churches as well ), to make the organ sound less sterile and in your face. The Lexicon is a good unit, but pricy. I have used and still do use Alessis Nanoverbs on my home Allen's. The Nanoverbs are stereo, so you can run one channel though each side of one unit. I currently have three of them installed in my Allen ADC6000. So I have reverb on 6 out of the 7 channels. I left the low pedal channel unreverbed, and that works out fine. In the past I have used Nanoverbs on an Allen TC-4 that I used to own, and they worked just as well on the analog organ. They usually go for 45 - 50 bucks used. Also, should you be inclined to play with them, the Nanoverb has all sorts of chorus and flanger effects in it.

Regards, Larry

Hi Larry,
    Thanks for the input. This Lexicon was an eBay find ...Has 4 channels to play with. I have also heard others state that the Alessis are good, cost effective units too. Your 6000 is a nice organ!
    Rob

Thanks everyone for your input/opinions. This Rodgers does have reverb....albeit spring in a tin can but still the same I do use it. To whom that mentioned the air switch.....no I have that shut off as mine sounds like "white" noise added to the sound....could be wacked out...I don't know since I really don't have anything to compare it to. That being said my initial thoughts were to take 4 of the 8 speakers I have and set them up "straight" signal and take the other 4 and delay them a tad using a DSP leftover from one of my sound installations. I was thinking of some sort of reverb like mentioned above and first try it inserted before the DSP. Obviously this organ is way too much for a house and that of 3300 sq feet. By the time you open it up to get some decent audio, it's too loud. But fall under that threshold and you might as well listen to it through a transistor AM radio. I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one dealing with this type of issue. I know that I do need to get use to classical sounding organs though
    Allen, Conn, Hammond, Rodgers