Thread: Kawai SR5 Organ

Kawai SR5 Organ

I finally picked up the organ from my Dad's house (Deceased) and got her home. Upon turning it on, the keys play but I have no ability to change any of the controls, it appears the panels are locked up. The foot pedals produce no sound and not sure if they are related to the problem. Are there any fuses that I should be looking at. Thanks in advance

John

Hmm. This is one that could be simple or terminal. It won't be fuse related, I'm sure.

Unplug, open it up and check every single connector between circuit boards. Unplug, clean and reseat each one in turn. I can't remember if the SR5 has a main board with daughter boards plugged into it, but if it has, make sure all the daughter boards are fully seated.

Our usual forum warning applies. Although there are no high voltages around these boards - they're all digital and you won't see more than 5V or 12V, you should still take care and that especially relates to the power supply section if you look at that, as there are higher voltages there.

If a digital board has failed, that may be it.

Do the checks and report back to us.

Andy G
    It's not what you play. It's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

New website now live - www.andrew-gilbert.com

Current organ: Kawai SR6 + Leslie 760 Walnut
    Retired Organs: Lots! Including Hammond T402, T500 x 2, X5. Conn Martinique and 652. Gulbransen 2012 Pacemaker. Kimball something-or-other.
    Retired Leslies, 147, 145, 760, 710, 415 x 2.

Andy,

Great and Thank you!. I sure hope to get it working, it was my Dad's and he loved the organ and played up until his death. I have always played but never had a 3 manual like this so would love to get it working. I'll let you know how I make out.

John

Quote Originally Posted by andyg View Post
    Hmm. This is one that could be simple or terminal. It won't be fuse related, I'm sure.

Unplug, open it up and check every single connector between circuit boards. Unplug, clean and reseat each one in turn. I can't remember if the SR5 has a main board with daughter boards plugged into it, but if it has, make sure all the daughter boards are fully seated.

Our usual forum warning applies. Although there are no high voltages around these boards - they're all digital and you won't see more than 5V or 12V, you should still take care and that especially relates to the power supply section if you look at that, as there are higher voltages there.

If a digital board has failed, that may be it.

Do the checks and report back to us.

Andy G

If it's a 3 manual spinet, then it's an SR6, not an SR5. Definitely worth trying to get up and running, but I'm biased, it's one of my babies from my time with Kawai. I sketched the design of this back in, what, 82 or 83 and they told me they couldn't build it. Then they called me back in 85 to start on it again!

Andy G
    It's not what you play. It's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

New website now live - www.andrew-gilbert.com

Current organ: Kawai SR6 + Leslie 760 Walnut
    Retired Organs: Lots! Including Hammond T402, T500 x 2, X5. Conn Martinique and 652. Gulbransen 2012 Pacemaker. Kimball something-or-other.
    Retired Leslies, 147, 145, 760, 710, 415 x 2.