Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is a Baldwin Overture 172 Organ analog or digital?

Is a Baldwin Overture 172 Organ analog or digital?

I have a chance to get one for free. Any idea how this thing generates sound? Can't find anything online

It dates from 1983 and according to my refence list I've got its none digital but not 100% certain of that myself.

Analogue. 100% sure of that, with IC dividers. Free is the right price and it can make some good sounds for its era.
    It's not what you play. It's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

New website now live - www.andrew-gilbert.com

Current organ: Kawai SR6 + Leslie 760 Walnut
    Retired Organs: Lots! Including Hammond T402, T500 x 2, X5. Conn Martinique and 652. Gulbransen 2012 Pacemaker. Kimball something-or-other.
    Retired Leslies, 147, 145, 760, 710, 415 x 2.

Quote Originally Posted by andyg View Post
    Analogue. 100% sure of that, with IC dividers. Free is the right price and it can make some good sounds for its era.
    Wow, thanks guys! Huge help

thanks guys! Huge help. Here's a larger photo.

http://www.screenshots.cc/photos/thumb/62203-yskb5.jpg

Can't believe all these doodads fit into an analog machine. Glad I get to give it a home

ok guys, now there's a Wurlitzer Omni 4000 being offered in my city for FREE as well. Which one should i take? What's the details on the Omni? Analog as well?

Yes, analogue and it's not a Wurlitzer. It's a mid-range Hohner from Europe, with a Wurli badge on it.
    It's not what you play. It's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

Retired Organs: Lots! Including Hammond T402, T500 x 2, X5. Conn Martinique and 652. Gulbransen 2012 Pacemaker. Kimball something-or-other.

Quote Originally Posted by andyg View Post
    Yes, analogue and it's not a Wurlitzer. It's a mid-range Hohner from Europe, with a Wurli badge on it.
    Aha, very sneaky. Any thoughts on the sound between these two or the quality? I like weirder organs

A little more information for your consideration: the Baldwin 172's full "name" is the MCO Overture which tells us that all switching is done by a computer, hence "Micro Computer Orchestra."

That "Wurlitzer" Omni 4000 is also from the same era, and the guy who put together the Electronic Organ Reference List (a.k.a. The Mother List) also thinks it is DI for digital. It was part of a series of about 14 models brought over from Germany between 1983 and 1988.

I have service manuals from both of those models for sale from my collection. Contact me off-Forum at jan@theorgangrinder.net if interested.

If this kind of electronic organ history (dare I call it "trivia"?) interests you, please join us at the Electronic Organ History Yahoo Group. Send an "empty" email to electronicorganhistory-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

. . . Jan
    the OrganGrinder

You sure, Jan? The Omni 6000 was Hohner's D98 and I thought the 4000 was the Hohner D96, which was very definitely analogue. Later Hohners, with black fascias and buttons, were digital.

The Baldwin is still recognisable as a Baldwin in tone, nice flutes. The Hohner also has decent flutes, though European in tone, and if I recall right, they're controlled by 'drawbars', well, sliders.