As an amateur pipe organ enthusiast, I wanted to reach out to the many experts on this forum and hopefully get some opinions. I know threads that include "most", "largest", etc. can sometimes be tiring, but was hoping for some help nonetheless. I belong to an AV club in NY and we not only sample music weekly on a very substantial system, but travel to listen to instruments as well. As you might expect from subwoofer mavens we are enamored with the monster 32' stops and the herculean bass they produce, and as such that equates heavily into our concept of heroic/imposing. We have been building a list of the most heroic sounding organs in the US and would love some input. Here's what we have so far (based on listening):
1. "The Obvious Ones": Atlantic City and Wanamaker
2. Ocean Grove: Monster pedal department on high pressure
3. Girard Chapel: Incredible room/accoustics, super high pressure (35" I believe) 32' bombarde (referred to as thunderous, apocalyptic, terrifying (that's a cool one) and ferocious on the web) some refer to it as the single most impressive 32' foot stop they have heard. Seems like this organ falls into the uber special category. Its amazing on sykes planets.
4. Meyerson Fisk: New but the high pressure tuba profunda and untersatz on the pedal are truly awe inspiring.
5. St. John the Divine: The refurbished organ contains some very effective pedal stops and the 32' ophicleide is on 25" of wind. Unparalleled acoustics.
Obviously there are a ton of other amazing instruments and we have sampled st. barts, riverside, yale, newark, st josephs in hartford and several others, and while they were/are incredible beyond belief, for basic shock and awe effect, don't seem to match the list above (opinion obviously, not fact). So, I would love your opinions: is the list above "the list" based on our criteria? are we missing some? are we off on any? Thanks so much for any help, I know this is a silly thread, but it is our hobby and we appreciate any insight we can get from experts on this subject as we all share a common love of organs and organ music. Many thanks.