Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Organs of the nineties and noughties

I think you'll find that your prediction is true, Seamaster. I can see no Roland arrangers on the horizon. They know their strengths and I think it's elsewhere these days. I hope I'm wrong, as competition is good for everyone.
    It's not what you play. It's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

New website now live - www.andrew-gilbert.com

Current organ: Kawai SR6 + Leslie 760 Walnut, plus Kawai K1m synth module loaded with my custom sounds.
    Retired Organs: Lots! Hammond T402, T500 x 2, X5. Conn Martinique and 652. Gulbransen 2102 Pacemaker. Kimball something-or-other.
    Retired Leslies, 147, 145, 760, 710, 415 x 2.

The impressive BK-7m module is supposedly based on development work that was intended for an E-80 successor that never happened. Roland had protracted industrial relations issues with workers in the Italian factory which I know caused a possibly fatal delay in the transfer of arranger production from Italy to China (google it if your Italian's up to it). But if they're honest, Roland would admit their heart hasn't been in arrangers since the E-80/G-70.

You're right, with Technics gone and Roland soon to follow, we're all impoverished — competition is the best driver of innovation. Always has been.

Yep fewer new keyboards means less choice and competition, competion helps keep prices low also. Wonder just how many "new" keyboards will be available in 10 years time, on a positive note at least a tyros 4 will be affordable by then, probably be up to tyros 8 or 9 if yamaha are still making keyboards.

I know we talk about the various home organs, most of them from years gone by that are still working. For new home organs in the US, the outlook is bleak if I'm reading the tea leaves right, and based on comments here and other places I think I am.

Roland hasn't refreshed the Atelier line in quite some time, that is not a good thing. Even if the current line is the best an organ can possibly be for the home, you don't encourage your market when you let a product line stagnate. If I were looking at new organ, Roland would be a question mark in my mind.

That leaves one company left for the US home organ market, Lowrey. And they are refreshing their lines with many new models in the last year, hitting both ends of the price/model spectrum. From the bottom of the line to nearly the top of the line, there is a new model to be had. And of course, Lowrey is still actively marketing in the older crowd which seems to work for them.

It is a bit frustrating to know that Yamaha is still making home organs, but not for the US market...
    Lloyd
    Lowrey SU-630 Palladium, Lowrey GX-1, Hammond Aurora

If yamaha could package the tyros technology into home organ sure it would be a winner providing the price was good, we have the technology to produce good organs but its up to the manufacturers to design it into an organ.

Hard to believe just 30 years back must have been 20 plus different makes of organs from all over the world, and every town town had an organ shop, some had several for different makes. Used to look forward to my weekly trip to the organ store to look at all the new organs that I would never be able to afford, they are now all on ebay for under 50, some under 10, some under 1!

Tell me about it. When I lived in a small, southern Missouri town, they had a Wurlitzer dealer. Bought a 575(?) and later traded it for a Hammond Aurora Classic from a dealer in yet another very small southern Missouri town. Both had multiple models, and the Hammond dealer was also a Lowrey dealer.

Now we have a Roland dealer here in town. He has at AT80SL, AT90SL that are new old stock, and an AT900c and a couple much further down the line. These particular models have been there since last year at this time for sure, and maybe even longer. Not a hotbed of organ sales!!

Right now as you can see, I have a Lowrey Palladium which is one kick-ass organ. I haven't even learned everything about it and I've had it a year. But frankly I think if I do anything with it, it will be to do something like the BK7M. My thoughts are that this is a 4 year old organ, with all the upper voices I can imagine ever wanting, but I might want to consider more styles for the lower. The BK7M @about $1K US is a hell of a lot cheaper than trading up to a used Imperial and would give me more bang for the buck anyway.
    Lloyd

Quote Originally Posted by tobeycat2007 View Post
    If yamaha could package the tyros technology into home organ sure it would be a winner providing the price was good, we have the technology to produce good organs but its up to the manufacturers to design it into an organ.
    Isn't that essentially what the D-DECK is?

It sure looks like it is just that.

But a question... I'm looking at the Roland BK7M which is really great, but it is $1K US or thereabouts. Is there anything similar or slightly less powerful that is less money? I know that you can do the same thing with some of the Yamaha keyboards, but so far the price is about the same as the BK7M with the disadvantage of size/space needs.
    Lloyd

There's nothing as good as the BK-7m in terms of a MIDI arranger module at that price point.

You could check out Ketron's modules, but the latest Audya-based one is a lot more expensive, and the others are a generation or two older.

Alas, the D-Deck isn't anywhere near Tyros quality and apparently isn't voiced for 'western' ears either.
    It's not what you play. It's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

New website now live - www.andrew-gilbert.com

Current organ: Kawai SR6 + Leslie 760 Walnut, plus Kawai K1m synth module loaded with my custom sounds.
    Retired Organs: Lots! Hammond T402, T500 x 2, X5. Conn Martinique and 652. Gulbransen 2102 Pacemaker. Kimball something-or-other.
    Retired Leslies, 147, 145, 760, 710, 415 x 2.