Thread: Electric Organ Out of tune.

Electric Organ Out of tune.

I recently received this Baldwin organ. It is about 20 cents flat. Does anyone know how to tune or find info on tuning this organ? Also it needs keys replaced. Does anyone know where to find a repair manual?
    https://mail.google.com/mail/?ui=2&i...f_gvbfp8p80&zw

Hello;

Baldwin built hundreds and hundreds of different model organs. Find the model number and we can help you. The model/serial plate will be either up under the keyboard deck (part that overhangs your knees), on the back or possibly even inside.

. . . Jan
    the OrganGrinder

Serial Number is 5830-B3. The Model number at the top of the plate next to the serial number is 48HR. There is another space that say Model and next to that it says 3s

Leslie, Missouri (that's right, Pop. 117)

Quote Originally Posted by ysclaimer View Post
    I recently received this Baldwin organ. It is about 20 cents flat. Does anyone know how to tune or find info on tuning this organ? Also it needs keys replaced. Does anyone know where to find a repair manual?
    https://mail.google.com/mail/?ui=2&i...f_gvbfp8p80&zw

Link does not work, it needs a UID and P/W. Jan is spot on, we can't really help unless we have specifics.

Some preliminary info: are ALL notes equally flat? Including pedals? That will help once we have more info.

But then if everything is 20 cents flat, just put a quarter in the slot and you're a nickle ahead
    Jerry in Leslie, spinning around trying to find my way

1990 Korg M1 - moved on to a new life
    1981 Lowrey MX-1 - giant box of bad connections
    1975 Lowrey TGS - gathering dust
    1973 Hammond T-524C w/mods - fun machine!
    1972 Hammond XTP - moved on
    1971 Gulbransen Premiere PR (1154) - awesome sound!
    1965 Hammond E-133 w/mods - her name is Emmanuele, and we are in love

To answer jkrusel's (awesome dogs btw) question, all notes are not equally flat. I've been measuring the pitch of each note and it appears that every individual note in the chromatic scale is controlled by the same pot/tube (i.e. all D notes are 20 cents flat for accompaniment keys, solo keys, and pedals, all B notes 10 cents flat). I looked inside the organ and noticed that there are 12 panels/electronic boards. On each of these panels is a metal cube with a letter for a corresponding note. They range from A to G#.
    Here is a link with a photo of the 48HR:
    http://barton.theatreorgans.com/selectedad.asp?ID=20475

At the top of those metallic cubes is a bolt that can be used to adjust the pitch! All I had to do was situate my guitar tuner next to the speaker and adjust the bolts accordingly. Your question gave me an idea of what I might be looking for. Thanks to both of you!

Quote Originally Posted by ysclaimer View Post
    At the top of those metallic cubes is a bolt that can be used to adjust the pitch! All I had to do was situate my guitar tuner next to the speaker and adjust the bolts accordingly. Your question gave me an idea of what I might be looking for. Thanks to both of you!
    Outstanding! Best way to tune up is to find the top octave (highest pitch) note for each of the 12 chromatic tones, ideally in a flute or other voice that does not contain many harmonics, and tune it to precision. Your organ takes each of those 12 highest tones and divides them by 2 for each subsequent lower octave.

Glad you got it working,

Yeah, Jack Russells are the smartest dogs in the world. We have a pack of 8 of them and enjoy every one of them.

I dug this out of my archives. Different tunings you can apply. These analog organs are wonderful in this regard, you are not locked into a particular tuning scheme like you are on a digital or synthesized instrument.

http://www.phy.mtu.edu/~suits/scales.html

Quote Originally Posted by jkrusel View Post
    These analog organs are wonderful in this regard, you are not locked into a particular tuning scheme like you are on a digital or synthesized instrument.
    I'm not sure what kind of digital instrument you had in mind, but on Phoenix digital organs, every note of every stop is tuned indvidually; not to mention a whole lot of other parameters which can be adjusted for each note of each stop. Don't all digital organs have the same capabilities?
    Last edited by Clarion; 11-24-2011 at 06:02 PM.