Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What is this Electone model?

I'd argue that organs like the US-1 and the AR series were a reaction to the negative reception the HS/HX organs got from the core demographic of organ buyers. The marketing for both said it all. Yamaha may have wanted to move away from traditional organ sounds, but they realised their punters didn't.

I think that's what I just said!

Yamaha got it wrong, as the core organ sound was still in demand. I never did like the US1, only 4-operator FM orchestral voices and no organ flutes, just a set of organ presets. There was a famous ad in Keyboard Player at the time, asking "What's the USe of an organ without organ sounds?", capitalising US in a lot of its wording. To the best of my knowledge Yamaha never challenged or complained about it.

And there's still a core of people, albeit ever smaller, who still want organ sounds, along with everything else, hence the few companies that are left catering for it.
    It's not what you play. It's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

New website now live - www.andrew-gilbert.com

Current organ: Kawai SR6 + Leslie 760 Walnut
    Retired Organs: Lots! Including Hammond T402, T500 x 2, X5. Conn Martinique and 652. Gulbransen 2012 Pacemaker. Kimball something-or-other.
    Retired Leslies, 147, 145, 760, 710, 415 x 2.

I can remember when I was a young demonstrator, back in the day, expressing how impressed I was was with the little MC-600. Or at least until my boss at the time said, "Aye, well, give us a 16'8'4'2' organ sound, then...".

Quote Originally Posted by andyg View Post
    No, I have to disagree with you there, seamaster.
    G'day,

I'm with Seamaster on this one, Andy. During my time @ Yamaha sales, marketing & YMF education staff only ceased using the word "organ" in favour of Electone only around 1983 with the realease of the F series instruments, which also coincided with the dropping of the line "Electone - The Biggest Selling Organ in the World" on the back cover of all Japanese produced brochures. All sales & profit budgeting & promotional activity from then on referred only to "Electone". The Electone Organ Festival became Electone Festival.

Tha's not to say "Organ" disappeared altogether - from around 1990 with the release of HC2/4, visiting Japanese concert artists were required to perform at least 2 songs that featured "Organ Sound" at our insistence to appease Western ears (and potential customers). Economies of the time made it necessary to use the Japs for promotions as they were cheaper than home grown talent (Japan paid all appearance fees & international travel costs).

The magazines that referred to Yammys as "Multi Keyboards" used to pass across my desk but the term was never used here.

As for the AR series, Yamaha didn't give a damn about Technics or any other Jap outfit, but regarded them as mere bit players, and in any case Technics were not far short of ceasing to exist at the time. The AR's were in fact a last gasp effort to sell a few "organs" in Western markets, particularly the US, where Lowrey still had a bit of a stronghold on the retiree market (or what was left of it)where easy play features were still king. And it should be noted that the word "Electone" does not appear on the cabinet.

As for the US1, Andy, I think you guys in the UK were the only market outside the US (where it was built) silly enough to take it. It was offered to us when they had an inventory problem, we took one look at the product & the price, laughed like hell & told YCA right where to shove it.

Cheers,
    Ian
    Last edited by crossyinoz; 11-16-2011 at 12:04 PM.

Hammond X77GT & Leslie 77P
    Lowrey C500 & Leslie 720/540
    Hammond T524 & Leslie 710
    Gulbransen Theatrum & Leslie 700
    Yamaha EL90T

I think there are those over here who would also have liked to have told them where to shove the US1! I was demo-ing it once at a sale of used organs for a dealer and made the mistake of playing it immediately before a Lowrey. Concentrating on the US1's 'organ' (ahem) sounds, I then went to the old Lowrey and blew the Yammy away! Sold the Lowrey, but the dealer really wanted shot of the US1. I was not 'employee of the day', that's for sure.
    It's not what you play. It's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

New website now live - www.andrew-gilbert.com

Current organ: Kawai SR6 + Leslie 760 Walnut
    Retired Organs: Lots! Including Hammond T402, T500 x 2, X5. Conn Martinique and 652. Gulbransen 2012 Pacemaker. Kimball something-or-other.
    Retired Leslies, 147, 145, 760, 710, 415 x 2.

Quote Originally Posted by andyg View Post
    I think there are those over here who would also have liked to have told them where to shove the US1! I was demo-ing it once at a sale of used organs for a dealer and made the mistake of playing it immediately before a Lowrey. Concentrating on the US1's 'organ' (ahem) sounds, I then went to the old Lowrey and blew the Yammy away! Sold the Lowrey, but the dealer really wanted shot of the US1. I was not 'employee of the day', that's for sure.
    I think that was genius marketing Andy (lol).
    BIG SCORE 5/9/14! FOUND $80 WURLITZER BRASS HORN IN CASE WITH STAND,LONG & SHORT BELL
    Wurlitzer '46' Model 31 Orgatron & 310 rotary cab, 56' 4410 , 65' 4300
    Hammond '55' S6 Chord Organ,HR-40,ER-20, Altec A-7(SOLD but missed). '6?-7?' X66 & 12-77 tone cabinet & L112 spinet [latest addition to my collection]...my RT2,Elegante,Leslie 31H sold
    Gulbransen 61' 1132 '76' Rialto II & Leslie 705 + two 540
    Conn'68' 543 Minuet '57' 406 Caprice '59' 815 Classic (the 29th 815)