Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Photos of the organ(s) you play...with a twist

Nairne, Australia, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way, Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha
    Quote Originally Posted by andijah View Post

Here's a picture of my small but enjoyable instrument. I still need to clear all the clutter on top, but since there's not much space around the organ, people tend to keep the area rather tidy. We're currently only three organists anyway.
    I am building a very small organ for my bedroom, one with four stops (Prinzipal 4', Gedackt 8', Hoboe Regal 8', Lieblich Gedackt 16'), 61 note compass and pedals, optional pedal coupler. this organ looks like a wonderful instrument to play and I can understand why you love playing it so much! big organs can sometimes seem to swamp you with stops that you don't know what to do with, but a a good small organ with well chosen stops can give you one of the best playing experiences ever. I have to say, I'm slightly jealous

Nairne, Australia, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way, Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha
    I recently had the pleasure of playing the Hill & Son grand organ at the Barossa Regional Gallery in Tanunda, South Australia. The organ was originally built for the Adelaide Town Hall, where it stood for about a hundred years. Over that time more stops were added as well as a new solo division and fourth manual, and in the 80's it was painted with a thick coat of white paint, presumably with the intention of modernizing it. By 1988 however, it was decided that a new organ was needed, mainly because the hill organ was tonally unsatisfactory after an enlargement in 1970, as well a being mechanically deficient. A new organ was ordered and the hill instrument disassembled. It was bought by the Barossa Regional Council to be installed in the Soldiers Memorial Hall, which later became the Barossa Regional Gallery. Over the next twenty years, the instrument was restored to it's former glory, including the hand pumping bellows, so the it can truly be played as it was originally (it does have a blower, but some people like to experience the burning arms and heavy sweating that comes with trying to provide a 2,260 pipe organ with wind).

The stoplist of the restored organ:

GREAT
    Double Open Diapason 16'
    Open Diapason 8'
    Open Diapason No. 2 8'
    Stopped Diapason 8'
    Principal 4'
    Harmonic Flute 4'
    Twelfth 3'
    Fifteenth 2'
    Full Mixture 3 ranks
    Sharp Mixture 2 ranks
    Posaune 8'
    Clarion 4'
    Swell to Great Sub Octave
    Swell to Great
    Swell to Great Octave

SWELL
    Lieblich Bourdon 16'
    Open Diapason 8'
    Hohl Flute 8'
    Pierced Gamba 8'
    Principal 4'
    Rohr Flute 4'
    Fifteenth 2'
    Mixture 3 ranks

Double Trumpet 16'
    Cornopean 8'
    Oboe 8'
    Clarion 4'

CHOIR
    Cone Gamba 8'
    Lieblich Gedact 8'
    Dulciana 8'
    Voix CÚleste 8'
    Gemshorn 4'
    Lieblich Flute 4'
    Flageolet 2'
    Clarionet 8'
    Swell to Choir

PEDAL 30 notes
    Double Open Diapason 32'
    Open Diapason 16'
    Bourdon 16'
    Violoncello 8'
    Trombone 16'
    Great to Pedal
    Swell to Pedal
    Choir to Pedal

And here is a video of me actually playing the organ:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFn0m1aSLG8
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by APipeOrganist; 07-20-2016 at 12:58 PM.

I don't have a photograph on me, but when I was playing at Keble College, Oxford (4-manual Tickell, tracker action and very resonant acoustic), I found an unopened bottle of vodka in the loft.

Quote Originally Posted by O'Carolan View Post
    I don't have a photograph on me, but when I was playing at Keble College, Oxford (4-manual Tickell, tracker action and very resonant acoustic), I found an unopened bottle of vodka in the loft.
    The English organists certainly know how to live it up a bit!!!
    Way too many organs to list, but I do have 4 Allens:
    • MOS-2 Model 505-B / ADC-4300-DK / ADC-5400 / ADC-6000 (Symphony)
    • Lowrey Heritage (DSO-1)
    • 9 Pump Organs, 1 Pipe Organ & 4 Pianos

IMG_20170512_170901921.jpg
    1948 MP Miller. One of the four that I play on occasionally.

Quote Originally Posted by andijah View Post
    Our church was built in 1909 and the organ came from Darmstadt, which is 40 kilometres south of Frankfurt, where it had served in a chapel in the local jail.

The organ has a 27 key pedal board (two octaves plus another c# and d) and a permanent pedal coupler. The stops for the manual are 4' Principal, 4' Flute, 8' Salicional and 8' Gedackt. And we're very proud to have a 16' Subbass (which only sounds with the pedals).
    It's been a while, but today I found out that our tiny organ was built by Heinrich Keller, an organ builder from the Darmstadt area south of Frankfurt, in 1858. This means that we can have a nice celebration next year and I'll try and organise a few recitals.

Hi Davery,

I grew up playing an organ similar to that in a Southern Baptist church in a very small town in Southern Illinois. It was a Moller built in 1948 also. However, it only had four general pistons. It was a five rank unit instrument and so was pretty limited. But, each rank was really beautifully voiced. The diapason had a beautiful singing sound, not too bright and not at all tubby.

Here's a picture one of the others I play this is a hybrid electronic and pipe organ from a small church I play at every other Sunday.
    Round Lake.jpg

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456