Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help needed to connect Wurlitzer tone cabinet (model 350) to guitar amp.

Help needed to connect Wurlitzer tone cabinet (model 350) to guitar amp.

My uncle recently scored a Wurlitzer 350 tone cab at at a used furniture store. How difficult would it be to build an interface to connect it to a guitar amp? Is this a multi-speed unit? Here's a pic of a similar looking model 300 that were posted on The Organ Forum http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z...Stuff001-1.jpg inside view: http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z...00tonecab7.jpg Thanx Much
    1963 Hammond L101"Charlie" ...1962 Hammond L102 Chop "BUCKY" .. "HOT ROD" Leslie 720.. Stock ( for the moment) Leslie Proline 825

The bean-can spinning speaker system is called the Spectratone, ingenious little things. If it's like my dad and my Spectratones (we've got a 420 and a 500), it's one speed. I have seen a motor that looked a lot like the two we have, and it had a slow motor, but I'm not 100% sure it came from a Wurly. Check, does it have a little thing hanging onto the bigger motor? Also, look for an O-ring that the little thing touches. That would be a second motor.

Call up Morelocks Organ service. They have schematics and parts for a lot of this stuff, if not all of this. I got a 420 schematic (and extra Spectra belts) from them for pretty cheap, and it's helped me immensely. I even made my own 6W (147-style) to Wurly 420-style connector so I can hook the organ to it. As for guitar, it's not too hard I think, you just need a pre-amp-in or a power-amp-in (with a load resistor). You just need to know which pins go where.

Please please please don't gut it to make it into a guitar thingy, there aren't many of these left (at least compared to Leslies). It's not hard to make a connector box for 1/4"-in from a $5 Radioshack plastic project box Jan Giradot seems to have a lot of knowledge on these things, and I've been digging around in mine for a while so I can try to help if needed too

Quote Originally Posted by torea View Post
    The bean-can spinning speaker system is called the Spectratone, ingenious little things. If it's like my dad and my Spectratones (we've got a 420 and a 500), it's one speed. I have seen a motor that looked a lot like the two we have, and it had a slow motor, but I'm not 100% sure it came from a Wurly. Check, does it have a little thing hanging onto the bigger motor? Also, look for an O-ring that the little thing touches. That would be a second motor.

Call up Morelocks Organ service. They have schematics and parts for a lot of this stuff, if not all of this. I got a 420 schematic (and extra Spectra belts) from them for pretty cheap, and it's helped me immensely. I even made my own 6W (147-style) to Wurly 420-style connector so I can hook the organ to it. As for guitar, it's not too hard I think, you just need a pre-amp-in or a power-amp-in (with a load resistor). You just need to know which pins go where.

Please please please don't gut it to make it into a guitar thingy, there aren't many of these left (at least compared to Leslies). It's not hard to make a connector box for 1/4"-in from a $5 Radioshack plastic project box Jan Giradot seems to have a lot of knowledge on these things, and I've been digging around in mine for a while so I can try to help if needed too
    I'll stop up at my Uncle's place this week and get some pics..From what he told me it's a non-amped cabinet ..He did mention there's 5 or 6 pic amphenol (i prolly mis-spelled that. ) coming out of the BOTTOM of all places...Our plan is to make an interface without altering the Wurli cab in any way
    1963 Hammond L101"Charlie" ...1962 Hammond L102 Chop "BUCKY" .. "HOT ROD" Leslie 720.. Stock ( for the moment) Leslie Proline 825

..And he got if for THIRTY BUCKS!!!! Lucky s.o.b.!!!!LOL!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Huboe View Post
    ..And he got if for THIRTY BUCKS!!!! Lucky s.o.b.!!!!LOL!!!!

Haha great. I got my first (ampless) for free from a guy who just wanted it gone cause it takes up so much space. They don't say Leslie, and info is hard to find, I'm guessing a lot of people give up on em.

Come back with pics, if you have a guitar amp, you should be able to drive it. Ampless is a little less fun, but a lot easier to play around with in my opinion. I used my Fender guitar amp to drive the ampless one. Shouldn't be too hard to figure out which pins go where, so you shouldn't even need a schematic.

Quote Originally Posted by torea View Post
    Haha great. I got my first (ampless) for free from a guy who just wanted it gone cause it takes up so much space. They don't say Leslie, and info is hard to find, I'm guessing a lot of people give up on em.

Come back with pics, if you have a guitar amp, you should be able to drive it. Ampless is a little less fun, but a lot easier to play around with in my opinion. I used my Fender guitar amp to drive the ampless one. Shouldn't be too hard to figure out which pins go where, so you shouldn't even need a schematic.
    Thanx. I'll head over this weekend and get some pics

Wurlitzer 6420 amp powered by Trek UC1A

I'm doing the same thing but on a wurlitzer 6420 organ amplifier. I'd like to keep it completely stock if possible without mods unless absolutely necessary, of course I'll be changing out the capacitors and cap cans. I'd like to power mine using the Trek UC1A pedal if possible.

The 6420 amplifier has a 4 pin input (2 pins are 110v and the other two are hot and ground from what I've been told). Tell me if this would work: modify my 6 pin leslie cable by adding a 4 pin female amphenol plug which I have to the end which would connect to the organ amp. I checked the captain foldback leslie pinout page and it looks like I would need to connect as follows using the type 147 (6W) out on the Trek pedal:

Pin 1 (black wire/signal ground) to the ground pin of the 4 pin female amphenol plug
    Pin 6 (red wire/unbalanced signal input) to the hot pin...
    Pin 3 (gray wire/ac power in) to one of the 110v pins
    Pin 4 (blue wire/ac power in) to the other 110v pin

Would this work? This way I could power the amp without having to modify/mangle it in any way. Amp would power two 8ohm field coil speakers with 6000 ohm field coil resistances...amp schematic attached for reference.

6420 Schematic.jpg

Here's some pics of the Wurlitzer 350
    Attached Images Attached Images

Here's the insides.The wire to the speakers is detached...Seems like an easy fix though..Hopefully

And then there's this thing on the side that reminds me of a side pod on a STEAM LOCOMOTIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!lol!!!!!!!!! What is it?????????

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast