Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Just purchased a Hammond T-524c

Just purchased a Hammond T-524c

Hello, I've been looking for awhile at a few different Hammonds that would sound good, and not take up a lot of space. The T524c is the answer for me. Just brought it home turned it on and many things happened at once. My most pressing concern is the lack of volume. Any suggestions?? BTW I am most interested to do a mod on this but first things first.
    thank you
    Mlito

Leslie, Missouri (that's right, Pop. 117)

Quote Originally Posted by mlito View Post
    Hello, I've been looking for awhile at a few different Hammonds that would sound good, and not take up a lot of space. The T524c is the answer for me. Just brought it home turned it on and many things happened at once. My most pressing concern is the lack of volume. Any suggestions?? BTW I am most interested to do a mod on this but first things first.
    thank you
    Mlito
    Just keep track of what works and what doesn't and we can help figger it out. I've got a modded T524C.

Your lack of volume problem, is it on both manuals and the pedals or not all of them? Does the expression pedal change the volume like you would expect? Any noise/hum at either lowest or highest expression pedal positions? Any noise/hum along with the note when you play a note?
    Jerry in Leslie, spinning around trying to find my way

1990 Korg M1 - moved on to a new life
    1981 Lowrey MX-1 - giant box of bad connections
    1975 Lowrey TGS - gathering dust
    1973 Hammond T-524C w/mods - fun machine!
    1972 Hammond XTP - moved on
    1971 Gulbransen Premiere PR (1154) - awesome sound!
    1965 Hammond E-133 w/mods - her name is Emmanuele, and we are in love

This'll be a useful reference while we look for the problem:
    http://www.archive.org/details/Hammo...al-T-500Series
    -1958 Hofner 550 archtop guitar -1959 C3 and PR40- -1964 Busillachio Harmonium- -1964 M101-
    -1967ish Leslie 122- -1975 T500 (modded..chopped, and reassembled!)-
    -DIY 760 FrankenLeslie/rat hideout-
    -1980 Electrokey Electric Piano- -Yamaha electric Harmonium (early 80's?)-
    -1990 Jansen GMF150 amp- -1992 Korg 01W/fd- -1992 G&L S-500 geetar.

jkrusal thank you very much. I am new to this forum. It is just too cool to find people who like to work with older technology. I think I'm hooked and I haven't started to get into this project. I just brought home today this T524c in very good condition. I paid 100.00US for it. The catch was it was sitting in a garage with no electricity and had to believe the owners that it all worked. The women was nice with many stories about this organ, her mom loving to play it and that her father bought it new for 4000.00US. Not sure about that but I bit and bought it. So when I turned it on, it started to hmmmm and whosh and feedback. So I guess by mistake, and not knowing how to make sounds with the T, I turned off everything. That's when I came onto this forum and post my low volume problem. Well I went in again and began looking at all the tabs and noticed they were all off. OK, I started to engage a few and what do you know I got sound, nice sound. OK, I really excited and after I finish this post reply I'm going to play the T some more. But what I did notice what the drawbars and very dirty. As I slide them in and out the will hit a certain spot and that slide will kick in. What potiential this organ has. I'm still very excited. So, what do I use to clean the contacts?? I want to move slow so I can learn this instrument inside and out then start the mods. I'm hoping that by spring I'll have one hot sounding T524. Thank you and anyone else who offers some input on this.

thank you Brendon for all your input on the T524c. A great resouce on the link you posted.

Brendon, thanks, I've been reading up on you work with the T500 and I'm getting excited to get going. The volume problem is solved. Now I'm on to wanting to clean the drawbars. They don't make contact very well. Here are some of the books I received with the T524c, which BTW even the cassette player works. some of the books: "Creating Beautiful tone colors with the Harmonic Drawbars of the Hammond Organ", 23 pages. "Meet the Hammond T-Series", 27pages. "Dictionary of Hammond-Organ Stops" by Stevens Irwin, 97pages all in great condition. I will post more that came with the organ later. thanks

Alas the plastic enclosure around the T series drawbars is from the era when plastic breaks down and gets brittle when stuff like Deoxit or CRC Contact Cleaner gets used on it....
    so it means we have to go inside.

I've written the following somewhere on here before, but durned if I know where to find it.... I'll zip thru it in brief!

Take the back off the organ first, go under the top wooden rail and remove the screws which hold the lid down. Round the front, yank the lid up holding front L & R.
    Be careful not to lose the lid over the back!
    The T500 has the misfortune of having the heavy Rhythm III unit attached to the lid. I added hinges to the back of mine so it could stay attached and lean back against the wall, but not before it slipped inside the organ and smashed my auto vari board. This board is essential if you want the lower manual and pedals to have and sound!
    The Rhythm unit also interrupts the LM and ped if it's removed, so you need a special plug or to keep the unit attached.

So, be really careful with that lid!

Remove the tab rail which has screws left and right and also bolts left and right attached to the upper manual key bed, you have to remove the metal cover from the preamps behind the tabs to get at the bolts though.

THEN, having moved the whole Tab assembly back as far as you can (the wires on the drawbars inhibit movement a bit here) you can remove the small hex head screws holding the drawbar box down.

Carsten has some pics linked on this page:
    http://keyboardpartner.de/hammond/t-service.htm

scroll down to "scratchy drawbars" and click on the picture links 1 to 5.

Make sure you take note of which wire colours go to which drawbars, also in which order the drawbars belong if you aren't used to that.

Clean 'em off with spirits, soak 'em, and the bars INSIDE the plastic enclosure might need some special attention. I actually used Contact Cleaner on a cotton bud (ie a Q-tip) on the bars but making sure it didn't get all over the plastic.

You can then relube the lot with silicon grease or even vaseline and stick it all back together.
    Great fun!
    -1958 Hofner 550 archtop guitar -1959 C3 and PR40- -1964 Busillachio Harmonium- -1964 M101-

Just realized I have a bunch of photos....
    Lemme know if you need 'em.

Photos would be good for me I'm a visual person and quite new to this. thank you

I think this should cover the main bits:

Here are the screws at the back under the lid:

Here are the clips under the top front:

Once you've removed the metal cover behind the tabs, Bolt number 1 will remove the tab assembly:

At this stage, that's all you need to know to get to the drawbars.