Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: E133 Hammond

E133 Hammond

for sale in working condition no price east of Oshawa ON on KIJIJI.
    I know issues but what is a fair price besides free?
    Short tonewheel derived bass what else to cring from?
    1956 M3, (2)51 Leslie under upgrade, 860 (130 powered)Leslie with Preamp, S08 Yamaha and two K2000S, Young Chang spinet, Roland VR700 clone and Korg SV-1 73
    Looking for that mythical cheap or free A, BV, CV, C2, C3 or A100 but wouldn't say no to a free B3

Fairly desirable model if you want more than an A/B/C/D with tonewheel reliablity. Schematics are online. Diving board keys, not a problem to me but I don't play with my elbows. To sound like new need dozens of electrolytic caps. TG caps are film. Vib & perc controlled by tabs, can be flicked with one finger from keyboard, traditionalists find it objectionable doing that without dedicating a hand to the job. Percussion requires modification to get twos and threes, and slow fast. Tube amps-mostly don't need tubes, except 5AR4 rectifier, still in production in Europe. Pedal is monophonic, although if your really wanted the upper octave again softer on the lower octave like an A/B/C/D, the modification looks possible. Requires a modern run cap and power cord quickly to prevent fire/shock.
    Often go for $500 here and southeast, in mostly working condition. Smooth talkers can get them for free, however. Is one on CL today. from a reseller for $500
    Last edited by indianajo; 09-23-2011 at 03:56 AM.
    city Hammond H-182 organ (2 ea),A100,10-82 TC,Steinway 40" console piano, Sohmer 39" piano, Ensoniq EPS, Wurlitzer 4500, Dynakit ST120, ST70 amps, Herald Ra88 Mixer, Peavey SP2XT speakers,BIC turntable; country Hammond H112.

thanks Joe waiting to hear back
    1956 M3, (2)51 Leslie under upgrade, 860 (130 powered)Leslie with Preamp, S08 Yamaha and two K2000S, Young Chang spinet, Roland VR700 clone and Korg SV-1 73
    Looking for that mythical cheap or free A, BV, CV, C2, C3 or A100 but wouldn't say no to a free B3

Leslie, Missouri (that's right, Pop. 117)

E133 is a nice instrument! Two full 61 key manuals, 9 standard drawbars for each. 2 pedal "drawbars" are actually pots that provide mix of 8' and 16' pedals tones.

Pedal tones are monophonic and are derived from low end TG notes for 8', and divided by Eccles-Jordan transistor divider for 16'. No pedal sustain, but "cymbal" sound FX can be linked to pedals and "brush" linked to lower (WOW.....).

2 amps, main and reverb, bass and treble speakers on main, single speaker for reverb - plenty of punch. Split scanner vibrato providing Celeste I and II, chorus and small settings. Stereo reverb I and II. Voiced percussion (chimes, marimba, guitar, xylophone banjo) rather than 2nd and 3rd harmonics. Foldback implemented up on top, on both manuals. Ready for a Leslie, MODELS 120 125 225 145 147 147RV 247 247RV.

All tube preamps and amps, only transistor circuitry is for pedal dividing and percussion driver. Passive "Click filter" between preamp and amp - bypassing it punches up the gain and makes the organ sound a WHOLE lot better! Percussion voicing conversion to standard 2nd and 3rd harmonc, and variable decay are also easily modified.

Good luck
    Last edited by jkrusel; 09-23-2011 at 09:10 PM.
    Jerry in Leslie, spinning around trying to find my way

1990 Korg M1 - moved on to a new life
    1981 Lowrey MX-1 - giant box of bad connections
    1975 Lowrey TGS - gathering dust
    1973 Hammond T-524C w/mods - fun machine!
    1972 Hammond XTP - moved on
    1971 Gulbransen Premiere PR (1154) - awesome sound!
    1965 Hammond E-133 w/mods - her name is Emmanuele, and we are in love

I don't know all that electronic talk like Indy and jkrussel, but I know I like my E133. I don't play it as much as some of the other Hammonds I have, but my wife does. I guess I'm a smooth-talker because I got mine for nothing but a trip across town. Maybe I guilted the guy into giving it to me for leaving the organ sitting on his front porch for a year.

Indy....

"Diving board keys, not a problem to me but I don't play with my elbows."

Now that's funny...

jkrussel....

"Passive "Click filter" between preamp and amp - bypassing it punches up the gain and makes the organ sound a WHOLE lot better! Percussion voicing conversion to standard 2nd and 3rd harmonc, and variable decay are also easily modified."

I sure wish you'd point me in the right direction to do this.

Regards,

Smooth Talker

Quote Originally Posted by Me & My M3 View Post
    Indy....

"Diving board keys, not a problem to me but I don't play with my elbows."

Now that's funny...
    jkrussel....
    "Passive "Click filter" between preamp and amp - bypassing it punches up the gain and makes the organ sound a WHOLE lot better! Percussion voicing conversion to standard 2nd and 3rd harmonc, and variable decay are also easily modified."
    Regards,
    Smooth Talker
    The schematic for the E100 has in plain text the keyclick filter. You just jumper across the RC network. T200 wrote an article on it, but I can't find it with google. Keyboard-partner.de has some kind of discussion of it , too.
    I went to NYCFarmboy's pipe organ re-dedication last September near Seymour. Afterward he had a reception under the picnic shelter, and there was his Hammond D with leslie to be played. Lots of pop music was played, then I was watching, and I made a comment about diving board keys. Cletus, a former organ salesman, took over. He played some kind of western thing with the clip clopping of the horses, and he was playing glisses with his elbows. ****'dest thing you ever saw. I'm not trying it that way, as far as I go will be to kick the footboard when I want the donkeys to clip clop. Whups, E's & H's don't have footboards, that only works on pianos. I'll have to put cocoanuts on solenoids in the tone cabinet or something.
    city Hammond H-182 organ (2 ea),A100,10-82 TC,Steinway 40" console piano, Sohmer 39" piano, Ensoniq EPS, Wurlitzer 4500, Dynakit ST120, ST70 amps, Herald Ra88 Mixer, Peavey SP2XT speakers,BIC turntable; country Hammond H112.

Quote Originally Posted by Me & My M3 View Post

jkrussel....

Regards,

Smooth Talker
    Key click filter is connected directly to the expression pedal with a short shielded cable..

Take out all the screws that hold the "dog house" around the expression pedal and remove the dog house. You will find a small PC board screwed to the floor of the organ inside the dog house. This is the key click filter, just jumper it's input to it's output, put the dog house back on and you are done.

I actually extended the shielded cable off the expression pedal and made it switchable on mine.

There is a doc called "Beauty in the "E"", I don't think it is out there on the net, but if you email me I will give you the author's email, I'm sure he will send it to you. Very nice descriptions of mods that are easy to do on an "E".
    Last edited by jkrusel; 09-24-2011 at 03:41 AM.

My contribution to E mods is a variable percussion decay, from a short "blip" all the way to factory setting. It uses the reiteration speed control when reiteration is turned "OFF".

The variable decay mod speeds up the discharge of C204 through an additional resistor (2.2K) to ground on the unconnected leg of the reiterate potentiometer, R208, but only when reiterate is OFF. R208 varies the decay rate as a result.

Indy & jkrussel...

Thanks for the information. I've saved it in my "Hammond Repair Notes" file and will give it a shot in a couple of weeks when I have some time.

Thanks a million,

Me & My M3

got the organ working, no luck getting Beauty in the E....no rush