Thread: Hammond Tone Cabinet Prices...Need Opinions

Smile Hammond Tone Cabinet Prices...Need Opinions

A seller has sent me pictures of a PR-40 and a JR-20 tone cabinet, stating that the asking price is $100 per cabinet (untested and with no cords/cables). My response is below. Please offer opinions about my rationale. Is the seller closer to the mark than I? Thanks!

MY RESPONSE TO THE SELLER:

"Hammond tone cabinets, unlike Leslie speakers, do not command prices even close to $450. $100 for a fully functioning PR-40 is a right. With the cord attached, one could fetch $125 - $150. JR-20s, on the other hand, are not as desireable and usually fetch a price around $65 - $75 with the cord and fully functioning. In some cases, I have even seen them sell for less.

My immediate concern, is that we do not know whether or not the amps within the cabinets function. Likewise, we do not know the condition of the speakers in each cabinet and whether or not replacements will be required.

Here's what the pictures have shown me (all favorable):

1) the wood of the cabinets looks VERY GOOD as though the cabinets have not been stressed at all (GOOD)

2) all visible parts and tubes appear to be in place (GOOD)

Here's what the pictures don't tell me:

1) operating ability of the amps (will need to be assessed on-site)

2) condition of the speakers/cones (will need to be assessed on-site)

3) operating ability of the tubes in each amp (will need to be assessed on-site)

Another thing I consider is that Hammond tone cabinets (and even Hammond organs) tend to be almost indestructible. As a result, it is very likely that the amps--even if they've not been turned on for thirty years--are still operational. So, that's good.

I desire to view these cabinets with the intent to purchase them on-the-spot. However, it does not behoove me to agree to $100 per cabinet, based on the information I have provided. Because the PROS seem the outweigh the CONS, I would like to schedule time with you, based on your availability."
    Hammond L-112/(2) Leslie 120s
    '48 Hammond CV/Leslie 122A/ER-20 Tone Cabinet
    Hammond T-112
    '61 Hammond A-100/'61 Leslie 45
    Adagio KDP-8816 Piano

Much cheaper than in the UK, if they were here, they'd be snapped up at those prices, working or not. My mother should have married that GI she met in in 1946! Then I'd be over there with a garage full of hammond and leslies.
    Regards
    Stuart
    Beginner!! Aspiring to a B3, wasted on me but they're a work of art so gotta be done one day!
    Hammond M100 with Leslie 145
    Hammond B200 with HL822 (cries of traitor! It's not a tonewheel so why so heavy!)
    Hammond E112, much better than you'd think (especially after the percussion mods) and love the lower manual bass!

Wow! I did not realize the tone cabinets were a hot commodity in the UK compared to the States. My goal was to convey to the seller the typical price range of these specific cabinets based on condition and the presence (or not) of the accompanying cable. The price range is based on what one usually encounters based on current market values, of course.

Oftentimes, sellers are VERY eager to make as much as possible that their prices fail to represent the actual market out there. Obviously, one should never cheat him/herself; nevertheless, overly-inflated prices are no good either.

This seller's original asking price was $450 per tone cabinet. Perhaps I am somewhat obtuse; however, we do not pay $450 for a Hammond tone cabinet in my neighborhood (LOL).
    Hammond L-112/(2) Leslie 120s
    '48 Hammond CV/Leslie 122A/ER-20 Tone Cabinet
    Hammond T-112
    '61 Hammond A-100/'61 Leslie 45
    Adagio KDP-8816 Piano

I guess you're right. I may have mislead you though. People here aren't queuing up for a tone cabinet, not like with leslies which sell well and for a lot but they would certainly buy a tone cabinet for $100. I paid 175 for a UK-supplied PR40 decorator cabinet recently so I would think a wooden PR40 here would be 300+. That's about $450 isn't it so from our point of view he's spot on whereas obviously the States is a huge market with more of these about so you would pay less than us.
    Regards
    Stuart
    Beginner!! Aspiring to a B3, wasted on me but they're a work of art so gotta be done one day!
    Hammond M100 with Leslie 145
    Hammond B200 with HL822 (cries of traitor! It's not a tonewheel so why so heavy!)
    Hammond E112, much better than you'd think (especially after the percussion mods) and love the lower manual bass!

PR-40 is always a winner in my book. Mine was driven 600 miles in the back of a 71' Ford, was lightly rained on, and survived many cold/hot fluctuations with humidity. It's still one of the best sounding speakers I own, and I wouldn't ever consider selling it. I replaced my treble driver with a co-axial speaker, and it brought out lots of shimmering treble. The bass is ridiculously powerful in the room.
    ~1936 Hammond AV - Leslie 122 & PR40~ ~1954 Wurlitzer ElectroStatic 4602 - Leslie 125~