Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Allen ADC6300 -- Houston -- Excellent Conidtion / Fully Functional

Post Allen ADC6300 -- Houston -- Excellent Conidtion / Fully Functional

Seeing if there is any interest in this instrument -- newly music director at this Houston parish -- we are currently undergoing a large church expansion / renovation and will be installing a new digital instrument in our space. Upon coming on as director and I was shocked at the organ they had in storage given the size of the church (going to seat 1,800 with BIG HIGH vaulted ceilings) -- such prompted discussions that have led to installing a new instrument for our November dedication.

With this said -- the instrument has been in climate controlled storage since being removed from the church in March. It has been maintained by Houston's Allen tech and 100% fully functional -- capture, pistons, everything works as it's supposed to. This organ also has DOUBLE speaker compliment -- so instead of the standard 6 channel (5 plus 1 sub I believe), this instrument has 12 cabinets (10 full range, 2 subs). The speakers have also just been update with new mid-range drivers performed by the Allen technician.

I can hopefully get to the back of our campus and get some photos of it -- as I said it has been stored in AC room as well as the speakers for the last 7 months. And the console is in excellent condition in every way. Feel free to post here with any questions or if you would like to receive my contact info. Asking price of $7,500 negotiable...

Thank you for your interest...

I'm interested.

Quote Originally Posted by ChopinGuy View Post
    Seeing if there is any interest in this instrument -- newly music director at this Houston parish -- we are currently undergoing a large church expansion / renovation and will be installing a new digital instrument in our space. Upon coming on as director and I was shocked at the organ they had in storage given the size of the church (going to seat 1,800 with BIG HIGH vaulted ceilings) -- such prompted discussions that have led to installing a new instrument for our November dedication.

With this said -- the instrument has been in climate controlled storage since being removed from the church in March. It has been maintained by Houston's Allen tech and 100% fully functional -- capture, pistons, everything works as it's supposed to. This organ also has DOUBLE speaker compliment -- so instead of the standard 6 channel (5 plus 1 sub I believe), this instrument has 12 cabinets (10 full range, 2 subs). The speakers have also just been update with new mid-range drivers performed by the Allen technician.

I can hopefully get to the back of our campus and get some photos of it -- as I said it has been stored in AC room as well as the speakers for the last 7 months. And the console is in excellent condition in every way. Feel free to post here with any questions or if you would like to receive my contact info. Asking price of $7,500 negotiable...

Thank you for your interest...
    I'm interested in this organ, and will send you a private email about it.

Thank you,
    Toodles

Sounds good -- feel free to e-mail me on here -- or you can on my personal chopin_guy88@yahoo.com

Thanks so much...

Hi,

Sounds like a good organ for a reasonable price. Mind you moving costs and re-install expenses would add to it, even so, the price would be reasonable.

The late ADC series, really is the first standard series that Allen produced sound that interested me. I have serviced a number of late ADC organs, and to me they sound much more musical than even the early ADC series.

I'm sure it won't be hard to sell this one.

AV

I have its little cousin (4300), and have nothing but good to say for the voicing and build of the instrument. You can check out my threads on recent updates I'm doing on the organ. I still haven't finished posting the results.

You'll definitely enjoy the organ--even without the 32' reed!

Michael
    Way too many organs to list, but I do have 4 Allens:
    • MOS-2 Model 505-B / ADC-4300-DKC / ADC-5400 / ADC-6000 (Symphony)
    • 9 Pump Organs, 1 Pipe Organ & 4 Pianos

Michael,

Which of the 3 Allens you possess is your favorite? My guess is that you like the ADC4300 the best.

AV

Quote Originally Posted by arie v View Post
    Which of the 3 Allens you possess is your favorite? My guess is that you like the ADC4300 the best.
    AV
    Yup. Because:
    1. I have more ready access to it.
    2. I have had the opportunity to customize it to meet my needs (ie. Toe Stud project, Channels project, additional dual amplifier, etc).
    3. The voicing appears to be more customizable than the 6000. Of course, I've only played that one 3 or 4 times.
    I especially like the articulation of the 4300 and how authentic it sounds (to me). The specific attention Allen paid to the attack portion of the ADSR envelope (i.e. chiff) shows between the 6000 series and 4300 (6300) series. Amazing how just a few years can provide so much of a difference. How that translates to an auditorium on the 4300 is yet to be experienced, because so far, I had only used the 505B (before I had the 6000), and later, the 6000 for large venues.

Going back to the articulation, it shows especially in the pedal 16' stops (Lieblich Gedackt & Diapason), and the Great 8' Foundations (Rhorflöte & Prinzipal). The Pedal Gedackt sounds like it is make of wood, while the Diapason sounds like it is made of spotted metal. Just this last weekend, I tweaked the voices because I was unsatisfied with the voicing of the Great because it had too many digital high-frequency artifacts. It resulted in a WONDERFUL sound. I should have recorded a before and after! What do they say about hindsight?

Michael

P.S. Did anyone see the 5400 on eBay? I COVET that 32' reed, however, I'll get mine when I add MIDI to the 4300.

Michael,

I figured pretty much what you were going to reply.

Articulation is very important in how a stop or sound is perceived. And I believe when Larry Phelps was at Allen, although he mainly was concerned with custom organs, he influenced the tonality of Allen organs at this time. As he was one of the leading voices of the organ reform movement, he would have been at the Allen brass to put in better articulation, which the later ADC models have.

I think also, that the late ADC models also had some stops that had 4 waveforms across the keyboard, instead of one. This would have improved the overall harmonic structure of the stops and also the ensemble.

This afternoon I am to re-voice an Allen ADC 3000. Seems that the Allen tech just can't get it right, and it keeps getting worse every time he touches it.

AV
    Last edited by arie v; 09-16-2011 at 12:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by arie v View Post
    This afternoon I am to re-voice an Allen ADC 3000. Seems that the Allen tech just can't get it right, and it keeps getting worse every time he touches it.
    And I wonder why I continue to be surprised by a statement like that. I often wonder where Allen gets some of their "techs" from--if they are, indeed, musicians or just electricians who work with computer components. Thankfully, there are people like you around!

I have tried several methods in addition to the voicing chart:
    • I tried using the LP, Voicing: A Study in Controlling Classical Sounds by Allen.
    • I tried downloading sound samples from the Encyclopedia of Organ Stops and imitating those.

For mine, I just scrapped the voicing chart and went by ear. I'm much more pleased with that. I think that perhaps the voicing chart is good for getting the rough balance between the stops, but for the fine-tuning, it needs to have a good ear involved. What do you think?

Michael

Michael,

Indeed, it does take a musical ear along with knowledge of the organ as an instrument to fine tune these Allens, or for that matter any electronic organ that has at least some adjustability.

Actually, the ADC 3000 I went to see today was not adjusted terribly. But the organ did not sing right - in that the organist was correct. Basically, the pedal 16' were weak, the mids were a bit hollowed out sounding, the treble thin and loud. The Swell division was louder than the Great, pretty much every stop. Since the organ was in an Anglican church, I decided to bias the organ, so it sounded more English. When I was done with it, the organ sounded like a totally different instrument according to the organist. Indeed, it sounded different, it sang much more beautifully, and much more suitable for music in an Anglican Church.

These ADC organs, although the adjustments are limited, it is tricky to get the whole organ balanced correctly. In other words, one has to spend time tweaking, and then do more and yet more of the same, to get the instrument to play and sound it's best.

Overall, not a bad sounding instrument, actually pretty good for a 1984 organ. One thing that is bothersome after a while, is the Allen buzz, which was part and parcel of the tone generation at the time.

The organ case was in beautiful shape, very well built.

If nothing else, at the least I made the organist happy today.

AV
    Last edited by arie v; 09-16-2011 at 11:22 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast