Thread: Wurlitzer 4500 For Sale in Columbus Ohio - Beautiful!

Wurlitzer 4500 For Sale in Columbus Ohio - Beautiful!

Nobody likes a Wurlitzer 4500 more than I do. It is my favorite organ and it was one of my only organs I got for free. Ironically, my other free one was the Rialto II. I'd love to go buy this one from they guy who has it listed on Craigslist, but I just don't have the $200. Plus mine is about an 8 out of 10 on looks anyway. The one below is said to work excellent, and it looks beautiful from the images. This is certainly the preferred cabinet style of them all ( except maybe the sharp looking 4520 theater cabinet). Those rings on the music stand are made of fine metal. The 4500 has 8 internal speakers including fully crossed over sound with the Spectratone speakers projecting the warmest most soothing, yet biting tibia tone you'll ever hear in my opinion. The louvers on the left side and also on the top of the organ give this organ a players listening advantage unlike any other organ you'll play. The entire voicing is coupled, meaning that not only do the tibia/ flute tones speak in 16', 8', 4', & 2' also the reeds do, the strings do, and so do the horn, oboe, and kitura. There are chimes, sustain, reverb, and shboom...Listen to this and you'll get a great idea of what this organ can do- this record is ALL this Wurlitzer 4500> http://youtu.be/nXpoe43zRx0 and http://youtu.be/xU6Iy8BWXJk

Morelock's in Mississippi has every part for these Wurlitzer's for generations to come. They will rebuild an amplifier chassis for $40 plus parts ( for an example of how fair parts costs are- they sell Can Capacitors for $10-$14 ea. Now THAT is cheap. Incidentally, if the organ isn't sounding like a motorboat chances are these caps are okay. Any other part on that chassis is very inexpensive). Wurlitzer used only top grade components- the Rolls Royce of organs when compared to most other brands. Only Hammond is equal up until around 1970. This organ is a 1964' - the 1st fully transistorized full size console Wurlitzer organ.

WURLITZER ORGAN MULTI-MATIC PERCUSSION***** Must Sell*****Price drop* $225
    sale-c3gpm-2548056054@craigslist.org [ the only contact info!]

Wurlitzer '46' Model 31 Orgatron & 310 rotary cab, 56' 4410 , 65' 4300
    Hammond '55' S6 Chord Organ,HR-40,ER-20, Altec A-7(SOLD but missed). '6?-7?' X66 & 12-77 tone cabinet & L112 spinet [latest addition to my collection]...my RT2,Elegante,Leslie 31H sold
    Gulbransen 61' 1132 '76' Rialto II & Leslie 705 + two 540
    Conn'68' 543 Minuet '57' 406 Caprice '59' 815 Classic (the 29th 815)
    53' Stromberg Carlson Carillon- rare weighted key design!

Got a 4500 like this in Louisville today, $25 + gas money $20 otherwise free delivery. Had to go today, carpet installers come tomorrow. Nice people to haul it 15 miles for me. Came from a neighborhood about 6 blocks from the house of the Steinway. Rode the city bus over with a 4 wheeler on my shoulder and straps and water and a phonebook in my backpack. 4 hours phone call to sitting on my sidewalk. Same music rack as this one. Just read the manual. All that about couplers and pistons and spectrasonic makes me very confused. No volume on pedals except maybe a rumble, low volume on U.M. Didn't try it much at that price. Looks pretty good. Thought I would save the weight, but it has a rotary speaker in it! 390 lb with bench. I think I could get used to having variable length and duration "percussion" on both manuals, but again I thought "multimatic percussion" meant some kind of drum machine until I got it home. Sshhh-Boom sounds as silly as Hammonds H100 brush & cymbal.
    city Hammond H-182 organ (2 ea),A100,10-82 TC,Steinway 40" console piano, Sohmer 39" piano, Ensoniq EPS, Wurlitzer 4500, Dynakit ST120, ST70 amps, Herald Ra88 Mixer, Peavey SP2XT speakers,BIC turntable; country Hammond H112.

Quote Originally Posted by indianajo View Post
    Sshhh-Boom sounds as silly as Hammonds H100 brush & cymbal.
    Better name, though!
    It's not what you play. It's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

New website now live - www.andrew-gilbert.com

Current organ: Kawai SR6 + Leslie 760 Walnut
    Retired Organs: Lots! Including Hammond T402, T500 x 2, X5. Conn Martinique and 652. Gulbransen 2012 Pacemaker. Kimball something-or-other.
    Retired Leslies, 147, 145, 760, 710, 415 x 2.

The $45 I paid for Wurlitzer 4500 # 807277 is paying off before I get it in the house. I unloaded the bench today preperatory to carrying it up the stairs. It has a lot of popular music from the twenties and thirties, a little from the forties. Everything Irving Berlin wrote, apparently. I'll call the owner "Art". He was an accordian player from youth, and apparently owned a Wurlitzer accordian, also. I'm going to have to learn to read treble clef in both hands, that is how accordian music is written. He has written out a lot of popular songs on staff paper; apparently he was a popular guy who got around. There is a Harry Barris sheet music "Let's spend an Evening at Home" with hand written ink "I'm happy to be connected with another Barris hit Bing Crosby". I'll have to E-mail the daughter about that. And even more cool, since my operating organ is an H182, there is a full color brochure of the Hammond H100 models including all the styles-including the awful French Provencial, and the nice H112 traditional. So I can rehearse being the "cat's meow" before I even recap and repair this heavy beast. Mr Art thought it was better than an H100, we will see in about a year.
    city Hammond H-182 organ (2 ea),A100,10-82 TC,Steinway 40" console piano, Sohmer 39" piano, Ensoniq EPS, Wurlitzer 4500, Dynakit ST120, ST70 amps, Herald Ra88 Mixer, Peavey SP2XT speakers,BIC turntable; country Hammond H112.

These are great organs but the buyers just aren't out there. The collectors now have more instruments than room. I've turned down several the past few weeks and I'm probably going to have to part my 950 to make room for a Kimball 1590 that I'd previously given away.

Sometimes, as Joe says, the music in the bench is more desirable than the organ.

This beautiful top heavy expletive deleted took a dive on its face as soon as I un-hitched it from the over head lift point today. Even though I had put a bar under it connecting the front of the two ends, that I will have to remove to put the pedals on. Tried to lift it, couldn't. Took the back off, power amp out, rotary speaker out, 2 10" speaker out, fiberboard diaphragm out, probably 80 lb. Next time I tried to lift it the top ripped off. It came very close to receiving the chainsaw treatment on its way to the electronic scrap pile. Still next to the front door leaning against a cardboard tube headers box and the wall, 30' from where it is supposed to go. If it won't roll on its side, it is coming apart right where it is. At least the door is closed. I see where the pitch stability of the transistor oscillators comes from- it has a factory built in "damp-chaser" heater bar. Pity I won't be able to hear the sound before I cut it up an install the filters on the Hammond wall-voltage stabilized tones. I was envisioning 12 crystals, 7404 oscillators, and 1 meg TTL dividers for the top octave generator, (non-import) but maybe it would be just as easier to build sine wave to triangle wave converters for the H182. The H182 is sure as **** easier to move by yourself, even if it is heavier. You'd have to have roll-a-lifts 30" wide to make any money selling or moving 4500's.

A steel leg (of angle iron) with under-end angle and diagonal brace to the angle between pedal brackets makes the 4500 easy to roll around by yourself. Put the steel end on the 4 wheel cart, strap it to the cart (used dog leash) lift other end and roll wherever you want. Modified the standard 4 wheel cart by screwing a 1x6 across the end inside the rubber riser, so I can a. push cart under the organ with my foot while lifting the organ b. set the steel angle on the 1x6 inside the caster wheel point so the cart won't tip up. No $25 helper required. Important this month, $45 for the organ was my whole entertainment budget.
    changed my first electrolytic cap yesterday, a 2 uf 25v non-polar on the horn speaker that will be covered by the spectrasonic device when I put it back. about 100 to go. This thing has neon divider circuits, down near the loud pedal oddly enough. At least they make 30V zeners now. I see why snowbandit sent his "power amp" to morelock's for repair, the DC voltages are generated and filtered by the same chassis that has the 3 TO3 transistors on it. My what power, probably all of 15 watts from the size of the power transformer.

At least the Jensen speakers make it very efficient, the louvers on the top of the organ direct the sound right at you, and there are two amps in the organ. The 4700's had two extra amps inside. My Thomas Palace III, 3 manual giant, only has two amplifier circuits on the swell pedal housing with just a pair of diamond packs for each amp. One is for the internal Leslie, and the other for a 12" and a 15", it's a pretty loud organ though.

Indiana- I'll get you that schematic this week, already recorded the CD.
    Wurlitzer '46' Model 31 Orgatron & 310 rotary cab, 56' 4410 , 65' 4300
    Hammond '55' S6 Chord Organ,HR-40,ER-20, Altec A-7(SOLD but missed). '6?-7?' X66 & 12-77 tone cabinet & L112 spinet [latest addition to my collection]...my RT2,Elegante,Leslie 31H sold
    Gulbransen 61' 1132 '76' Rialto II & Leslie 705 + two 540
    Conn'68' 543 Minuet '57' 406 Caprice '59' 815 Classic (the 29th 815)
    53' Stromberg Carlson Carillon- rare weighted key design!