Thread: Hammond Oil

Hammond Oil

The can that came with my new/old M-103 appears to be long empty. "Hammond oil" appears all over the place if I Google it, but is there a best place to buy? Is there a substitute that people trust?

Jack

hammond oil.jpg

There are plenty of Hammond dealers who sell it, but I get mine from....

www.tonewheelgeneral.com

...because I like to support small business owners. I don't trust the oil you find in ebay. You don't know who's selling it, or what they've put in the bottle. For as cheap as it is, and as long as a bottle will last, in my opinion it's not worth the risk of trying a substitute.

Me & My m3

Tonewheelgeneral is a great place. USPS shipping, so buy a couple of things.
    Yeah, a lot of oils like car oil and spindle oil have metal in them as a rust inhibitor. Many old hammonds have dendrites, metal spikes, on oiled parts and the cause of dendrites is ??????? E-bay satisfaction rating indicates only shipping practices; a quality problem that shows up in 10 years will not reflect in an e-bay rating. Suzuki-hammond is still selling hammond oil. I'm using mineral oil laxative I bought at the grocery store, but I baked it on the stove in a stainless steel cup for 12 hours to see if gum or sludge developed. Oil for ingestion in the US will not have zinc in it, but sludge would hurt a hammond but not a human, so I check every bottle. You can get Mobil DTE turbine oil SUS32 recommended by some hammond techs (the turbine oil, the sus hasn't been verified) from mcmaster.com, but it comes in gallons.
    city Hammond H-182 organ (2 ea),A100,10-82 TC,Steinway 40" console piano, Sohmer 39" piano, Ensoniq EPS, Wurlitzer 4500, Dynakit ST120, ST70 amps, Herald Ra88 Mixer, Peavey SP2XT speakers,BIC turntable; country Hammond H112.

I know just enough about oil to be dangerous. I'll order from Tonewheelgeneral to be sure I'm getting the real thing. Thanks!

Tonewheel General is the best.

Really nice people.
    My Gear:
    '61 RT-3
    '55 M3
    Roland VK-8
    3 122 Leslies
    Neo Ventilator
    Gibson Firebird V
    Fender Esquire w/ B-Bender