Thread: how are the "aftermarket" reverb units by hammond,organmate installed?

how are the "aftermarket" reverb units by hammond,organmate installed?

I've been looking around for some instructions as to how those aftermarket addon reverb units (tank+amp) are installed in the hammond spinets(ao29 m3 to be exact),looks pretty simple.I'm thinking about buying one off the ebay,I know the m101 uses the ao29 and it has stock reverb,is it installed/hooked up the same way in the m3?thanks!

The ones I've seen installed just simply had an interceptor socket and AC line. You just plug the socket underneath the 12BH7 and plug the tube on top. They did make octal versions for the 6SN7 on the AO-10 amps, so make sure you know what you're getting.
    ~1936 Hammond AV - Leslie 122 & PR40~~1954 Wurlitzer ElectroStatic 4602 - Leslie 125~

do you happen to know which model hammond sold to be used with the M 1-2-3 models?,I've seen M's with a little slanted speaker cab for the reverb that sat atop the organ

Regarding reverb: An M100 series spinet had a separate drive and recovery amp for the reverb effect. It was got its signal off the 'G' terminals and drove its own speaker. An M-3 has a preamplifier similar to a B3 and should have a 12BH7 driver tube. If so, an aftermarket reverb system can be inserted here. It would wire in between the 12BH7 and the tone control. I forget the exact pin number on the tube but could find out with a little research.
    Bruce

1 members found this post helpful.
    The Hammond reverb kit used an AO-35 amplifier (5 tubes.) The spinet's speaker output drove the reverb tank through a bulb limiter, and the amp merely amplified the output of the reverb tank. None of these used an interceptor socket, those were for line-level reverbs added to console-model Hammonds (OrganMate, Fisher Spacexpander, current Trek II.) The spinet reverb kit is different. I have one pulled from an M-3, it's slated for my Extravoice when that's finished. This kit came with the separate cabinet with a Jensen 12" in it (the organ-top speaker cabinet was one option, the extension cabinet was the other option.) Best bet is to check eBay, and call around to some techs, they might have a Hammond reverb kit laying around. However, that AO-35 reverb amp the Hammond reverb kits used are popular for guitar amp conversions, so they generally won't be cheap. You can adapt an AO-44 3-tube reverb amp and spring tank, then cobble any sort of speaker you like. You might be able to find the AO-44 more cheaply.

TP
    Todd in Cheesecurdistan - www.blueolives.com
    '63 B-3 + HL-722 + Trek II reverb, Schulmerich Chime-A-Tron
    '62 A-100 + 147RV
    '70 X-66 + Series 12 tone cabinet
    '61 A-100 + (1)45 (converted, incl. inverted lower motor stack)
    XK-1 + XM-47 Leslie adapter into various Leslies, Yamaha S80, Korg Triton Classic

Quote Originally Posted by bnelson218 View Post
    Regarding reverb: An M100 series spinet had a separate drive and recovery amp for the reverb effect. It was got its signal off the 'G' terminals and drove its own speaker. An M-3 has a preamplifier similar to a B3 and should have a 12BH7 driver tube. If so, an aftermarket reverb system can be inserted here. It would wire in between the 12BH7 and the tone control. I forget the exact pin number on the tube but could find out with a little research.
    Bruce
    very intersting!,it sounds like this could be a good place to use other effects also(phase,flange,delay and such),you say its inserted between a pin on the 12BH7 and the tone control but there is no 12BH7 in the AO29 amp,

Quote Originally Posted by BlueOliveB3 View Post
    The Hammond reverb kit used an AO-35 amplifier (5 tubes.) The spinet's speaker output drove the reverb tank through a bulb limiter, and the amp merely amplified the output of the reverb tank. None of these used an interceptor socket, those were for line-level reverbs added to console-model Hammonds (OrganMate, Fisher Spacexpander, current Trek II.) The spinet reverb kit is different. I have one pulled from an M-3, it's slated for my Extravoice when that's finished. This kit came with the separate cabinet with a Jensen 12" in it (the organ-top speaker cabinet was one option, the extension cabinet was the other option.) Best bet is to check eBay, and call around to some techs, they might have a Hammond reverb kit laying around. However, that AO-35 reverb amp the Hammond reverb kits used are popular for guitar amp conversions, so they generally won't be cheap. You can adapt an AO-44 3-tube reverb amp and spring tank, then cobble any sort of speaker you like. You might be able to find the AO-44 more cheaply.

TP
    cool,do you happen to know how or can direct me to the instructions on how the kit is installed?,thanks!