Thread: No F# bass note wurlitzer 4300

No F# bass note wurlitzer 4300

Hello fellow Wurlitzer fans. I have a 4300 that I saved from a certain trip to the landfill. After a blowing out of mouse stuff and playing it for awhile, I contacted Morelock's and shipped them my amplifiers and tone generator board in order to
    restore some missing notes and eliminate some odd noises. To make a long story short, these components don't ship well. I must make clear, that this is absolutely no fault of Morelock's, who have been very helpful. I now have new issues
    that were not present with my old tone generator/divider board. There is no change at all when operating the various foot selections for the upper manual (I can see mechanical action from inside with the back of the organ removed). When swapping in the replacement board, I had to snip all 13 bass control wires (no connector provided) and 2 other wires; a blue and a brown. The rest were unpluggable connectors. On the replacement board, I could not find where to connect the snipped brown wire. I have the schematics but don't really understand them. Also the lowest 2 F# notes on the lower manual sound a harmonizing tone and the bass pedal doesn't sound at all (the neon bulb lights up). I'm thinking,by what I have read, that this is a divider issue. Is there an easy way to isolate the problem divider? The organ sounds great otherwise. I can live without the footage selections, but the missing F# in the bass pedals is getting me down. I am trying to fix this myself as my location would make a technician visit cost prohibitive. Any advice would be highly appreciated.

Hello, Adam;

Could we check out some info in your email?
    • Are you certain of the model number? Wurlitzer built several variants of the 4300, namely 4300, 4300D and 4300R.
    "There is no change at all when operating the various foot selections for the upper manual"
    • Do you mean that when, for example you turn on the Upper 16' Tibia and hold down a key, no note plays?

More later,

. . . Jan

The model # on the i.d plate indicates that it is just a 4300. I mistook the 4 white rocker switches to the immediate left of the upper manual as foot selections; they actually say "coupler upper to upper" with selections of on/off 8' 16' 4' and 2'. There is sound all of the time but no change when switching any of them. Thanks for the response.

I don't usually remove wires without labeling them with scotch tape and a sharpie, and labeling the PCB similarly with the sharpie. Or I use real Ideal brand wire markers from the electrical supply. I don't even trust the color code on thirty year old organs, particularly under florescent or led light.
    I think Morelock's owes you an answer to a question or two if you have paid for service.
    city Hammond H-182 organ (2 ea),A100,10-82 TC,Steinway 40" console piano, Sohmer 39" piano, Ensoniq EPS, Wurlitzer 4500, Dynakit ST120, ST70 amps, Herald Ra88 Mixer, Peavey SP2XT speakers,BIC turntable; country Hammond H112.

To be honest, communication with Morelock's was spotty for whatever reason (long time for response to e-mail or phone call inquiries). When I sent my original divider board, I had things well marked. I was told there were too many issues with it and they sent me a reasonably priced replacement board. This is when I could not find the receiving end of the snipped brown wire( I left obvious lengths on the snipped blue and brown wires on my original board). I guess I was hoping someone had similar experience when removing the board from their 4300.

I'm still trying to isolate the fault causing inoperative F# in the bass pedal of the 4300. The bulb over the pedal switch lights when the pedal is depressed and the sh-boom effect responds but no note. I re-snipped the F# wire from pedal to generator board and snipped wires for 2 pedal notes that work for comparison purposes. The 2 working notes had 7 volts as opposed to the dead F# which had 13v when tested from the generator board ends of the wires. To further verify where the fault might be I connected the F# pedal side of the wire to the known working note on the generator board and the F# pedal would sound the note. With this info and the fact that the lowest F# key on the lower manual is inoperative am I incorrect in thinking it's a divider? There are 5 in front of the F# tuning coil on the board. Is there an easy way to test them? Any help would be appreciated.